Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aircraft gauges- what to look for, what to avoid. Never collected these before.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steves32, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

1st off- I know nothing about them other than I like the look.
    Ok- I've always liked aircraft gauges but never had the time to check them out. I'm a newbie at this so I want the straight poop. What's hot, what's not. What can I expect to pay. Can cracked glass be replaced (with a hole drilled in it). The square mount ring- some I saw were metal, some looked like bakelite (and had hairline cracks through the mount holes.

Is there a standard size?
    Are they 12 volt?
    Are there different brands? What brand is better than another?
    How many different types of these exist? A list would be nice.
    What can I expect to pay?
    Can the black backgrounds be restored or should I hold out for better examples?
    Are they all in celcius?
    Got pics?

Here's the deal. I found 5 of them at an antique store. 2 are the same- cylinder temp in celcius. One is in good condition, one has a loose cracked glass.
    One is smaller, no square external mount ring & is for hydraulic pressure.
    one is some sort of altitude gauge w/ an indication of what fuel pressure to run at what altitude. The face has some white damage at lower corner. I don't know if it would clean up. The 5th- I forget.:p The 4 all seem to have a mount ring made of bakelite.
    He wants $20.00 each or he will give me all 5 for 50 bucks.
    Worth it?
    What condition should these be in for that price? I'm clueless.
    If they are a deal- I'll go back & get them tomorrow or Monday & post pics.

Lets see yours.

2. Merkonic

Merkonic

Iv'e got a couple of dozen of these,would like to use a few on my next build.I think theres about 6 or so standard sizes.Almost all are 28 volt unless they're early ww1.There are many brands.prices vary on age&cond.WW2 fighter&bomber ones seem to be worth more,and late model usable jet ones.The main types are engine&flight controls&parameters.I am sure the backrouds are restoreable just like auto guages,mite be cheaper to find a better one.Most temps in celcius.The post ww2 ones with cannon plg/pin connectors would be hard to hook up.You mite be able to use the early ones with mechanical connections-like the fuel press ones have AN fittings,there are adapters for those.There are plenty of these on the internet-ebay 7 aircraft surplus sites.Last year I bid on a large box of all different ones on ebay&won.Some were just parts,some so so,&dozen really nice ww2&Korean era ones made it all worthwhile.One was a large gyro horizon indicator with cracked glass.I typed in "aircraft instrument glass" in google,there were a few hundred references but the very first one happened to be the exact replacement glass for this 1952 gyro ind.made by Jack&Heintz in the original envelope -for $4.00.If you like the way these lookseems like you should take the 5 for $50.Just my 2cents,hope this helps

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

The 50 buicks isn't a big deal- I think they look cool. I didn't want to buy them & then find out they go for a couple of bucks each. I don't mind paying, I just don't like being had.
    Thanks for the info- really helps. I think I'll do some EBAY surfing to get a price feel.