Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lake Pipes or under hood? What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Langan, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Started on exhaust and not being known for my styling I will post both sides of truck and see what you guys think.....Thanks

Attached Files:

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I like the under hood setup on your ride. That truck has the perfect stance. My lakes headers are loud when running 65/70. I think that I will change mine up this winter, but for the practical factor of being quiter ( I have a 3yr old that loves to ride and a 6 month old, I hope will follow to). I also have an issue with fumes swirling around in the cab with my set up. Truthfully either way looks killer.

Just some thoughts. Good Luck

3. matt--8

matt--8

thats looks sweet where it is on the pic's!

4. Sprcheese

Sprcheese

I like the lakes pipes, but they need to be bigger to look 'right' on that truck, imo.

5. boogie-86

boogie-86

I think the lake pipes fill in the blank spot under the hood but,you cant go wrong ether way.....very nice truck keep up the good work

6. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Thanks you guys still unsure I am leaning to under hood and making a small louvered panel to fill in under hood between frame. I used and old driveshaft and plan on routing exhaust through frame and out the rear.
    More opinions Please

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

keep the pipes, even if you attach them to a full exhaust set up for noise control
    they finish off the truck and make it look like there is something under the hood to contend with..JM2C

8. Love those Lake pipes!!
    Looks like you're doing everything that I was planning for my truck...

9. I think the lakes type headers look good, and like was already pointed out they make the sweep of the hood-line look purposeful. I also prefer the driver's side view because you also see the upsweep of the frame in the rear, kinda balances it out. All in all, a really sweet truck, nice proportions.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  10. Weasel

Weasel

Oh gawd - another 'what do you think' thread, probably seeking approval from the court of public opinion - what matters is what you think - nothing else.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

pipes look good. HOT RODS got to have pipes

12. Keep them under the hood as your truck has great proportions and stance. I looks naturally clean.

13. They're lakes headers and not pipes.
    Lakes pipes - or lakers - are long straight pipes paralleling the rocker panel from front to rear in most cases and in a few others there are short lakes pipes that run from door rear edge to in front of the rear fender cutout.

That aside, the up-curve in the hood sides works perfect with the header placement.

Without an exposed header it's a touch lacking and to finish off the no-headers side you may have to straighten the bottom edge of the hood, but if you do that you'll lose some of the hot rod flavor.

Along these same lines, the up-curve will allow an exhaust pipe tapped off the header to re-enter the engine comp't and be pretty much out of sight for most.

I like the lines of your truck.
    Flows well and is probably the best truck as far as this style goes as any I've seen so far.

You definitely need a full exhaust system.
    Any header exhausting up front is a potential hazard as far as carbon monoxide goes and the constant drone will drive you batty.
    Cap the header and install what's needed for completion.

Granted, most who have a short exhaust system don't drive em far, but there will come a day when you want to and open stacks or headers don't cut it....

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Right on...
    Been two posts on this "Lake pipe" thing now and the first one really had me scratching my head to figure out what he meant.
    Couldn't understand why he would want to run lakes pipes on such a low vehicle!

I'd go with the Headers and run a full system back thru the chassis so I could drive the wheels off in comfort. Who needs stinging eyeballs and headaches etc!?!?
    That truck has the makings of a real road burner and thats how I'd build it.

As for putting a passage thru the frame (and it looks like your planning a BIG one!)....I'm iffy on that. I personally like a frame as strong as possible, especially in that area.

15. I was thinking there is enough room to run the exhaust even with the primary pipes - ala V10.:eek:

Five pipes per side would leave em scratching their heads.

I don't care for large holes through the frame in that area either.

If you did it right the hood side would not require cutting.

16. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I like the photo with the pipes out the side ,fills in that space nicely!

17. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Finnialy got exhaust on the truck. I went under the frame.

Attached Files:

18. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

you went under the frame? i can clearly see them sticking out.

19. Bitch'n. You knew all along.

20. Voh

Voh

Best of both worlds. I am sure many days it will be nice to have the rumble exit below/behind you. But for the look and those occasional days, the lakes will be there.

Side note - that truck rocks, need to see more of it, like build pics. Those years sure do flow pretty without the fenders. I LOVE the line along the bottome.

Sorry, Didnt get althe way to the end before posting. Looks like a good chose. Very cool color on it.-voh

21. fleetside66

fleetside66

Nice decision on the pipes...beautiful build.

22. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

In my profile there are a lot of pictures.

23. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

hell , i would have used bongs ....the pipes of all pipes.
    kool job.