Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with Buick 401 Nailhead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Guapo, Apr 16, 2007.

1. This is my first Nailhead engine in my 64 Rivi. When replacing the thermostat, I decided to remove the water crossover pipe and give it a fresh cleaning and paint. The bottom of the bowl on the pipe has this nipple that goes into the waterpump. I never noticed any seal or O ring and when i went to put it all back together and refilled with coolant, it started leaking from this area. My question is that I realize something needs to be there. Is it an O'ring or bushing? It was leaking a little before I started all of this. Now it leaks more. Any help on how to fix this? :eek:

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, there is suposed to be a rubber 'O' ring between them. Buick Group Number 1.252 / P/N 1342978. Sorry, I don't have the dimensions on hand, but you can get one from Cars, Inc. out of N.J. www.oldbuickparts.com .

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep rubber o-ring as was said. NAPA has them here.

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

You said you gave it a cleaning and some paint, but you didn't mention if it was pitted or not. If so, JB weld and some smoothing would be in order BEFORE the o-ring is installed for a proper seal. And even then, I thin bead of silicone never hurts. Don't ask me how I know this.

5. Update: I tore the whole thing apart yesterday and there is an o-ring inside that must be old because it leaks. Size is around 1 1/16" diameter and 7/32" tall. Not exactly round but more like a bushing. Our local parts houses (Auto Zone, O'Reilly, and Napa) really suck as they kids they hire have no clue as to how to cross-refernce parts and only go by what the computer has. Was told many times that their computers don't go back that far. It seems that the parts store have gone down hill. They actually suck. I had to order the part from Napa's website so I have no idea how long it will take for me to get it. As for the surfaces, there was no sign of pitting and they seem really good. Once the new parts arrive I will re-install and add a little silicone for good measures. Thanks for the part number and all the help. Hope to get the Riv back on the road soon.

6. Splinter

Splinter

Did you say El Guapo? I got a truck named after you, fella. And it's gonna run a 401 nailhead, too. That's hinkey....

7. Dantana

Dantana
    from San Diego

Hey bro, I am having the same issue.1963 Rivi with a 401. Did a new o ring solve the problem? The o ring on mine seems fine but it leaks like a siv. New water pump and water manifold and RTV, Still leaks. What do you think?

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Ask Lux or one of the other Austin guys where the good parts store is. I know there is one in Austin. Then give them your business.

9. Andy_H

Andy_H

Dantana - I believe part of the problem could be the o-ring itself and it could also be the gaskets for the crossover/block. Did you remove the crossover from the block and put new gaskets between the crossover and block? If so, I am guessing that the new gaskets you got are too thin and it is not spacing the crossover the correct amount to be perfectly above the hole in the water pump. This will cause the water pump /crossover o-ring to not properly seal and therefore leak. The gasket should be about twice as thick as you would think for a standard gasket. Call Russ Martin of Centercille Auto Repair. I believe he has the correct gaskets and o-ring that will fix the problem. Hope this helps.

10. Hot Rod T

Hot Rod T

TA Performance in Scottsdale AZ part # TA 1701-401A $2.00 worked for me (480)922-6807

11. Herby

Herby

yes - TA Performance Scottsdale AZ has the following kit.
    I will buy two kits the next day, because I had the same hard time to find the gaskets and o ring.

Oliver,
    Yes we do, it is $18.00 plus shipping. Description is:

TA 1701-401 `56-`66 322-364-401-425 TIMING COVER GASKET SET, INCLUDES WATER MANIFOLD O-RING AND GASKETS(DOESN'T INCLUDE OIL PAN SEAL)
    Regards,
    Sherri
    TA Performance Products
    16167 N 81 St
    Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    480-922-6807