Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Swam Louisville in 1992 show us your pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dontlifttoshift, Aug 4, 2009.

1. The fairground flooded because the park crews placed 55 gal. drums on top of the drain on parking lot to mark the roadways. The water had no where to go.

2. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

...Unbelievable man...

3. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Yeah, we were there. Can't find my old pics, can't believe it's been that long ago. We were luckily parked on high ground in the Anglia. The sky was ominous before the storm, was afraid a tornado was going to hit.

4. alchemy

alchemy

My wife and I were downtown in the daily driver and started back to the fairgrounds when we heard a storm was coming. We had to walk through the livestock area from the spectator parking lot, and the water was up to my pits.

Luckily my brother's A coupe was parked in a higher ground location.

I still have the shirt I bought that day so I wouldn't feel so wet and miserable (a tanktop from Heidt's).

5. I remember some folks running,,uh,swimming to their 29 Model A and tried to crank it with the water just at the top of the grill shell,,they couldn't hear yelling not to try,,,I don't have to tell you they killed the engine.

Fortunatly most people had enough wits about them not to try,,,drain the vital fluids and able ride home with a soggy sea and a check from a great insurance company a few weeks later.,HRP

6. primed34

primed34

I was there, but parked on the west side. A buddy wasn't as lucky. We spent the rest of the afternoon draining fluids on his coupe. The water was about a foot deep inside his car and it was some nasty water. He did manage to drive the car back home.

7. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

el Scotto<TABLE class=tborder id=post4192201 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] Yesterday, 09:34 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right> #20 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>el Scotto<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4192201", true); </SCRIPT>

Thanks Man that really brings it home,

Damn ,I've seen that video before but didn't pay much attention to it..

I know their was broken hearts that night.

Thanks for posting..
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

I just talked to a friend who is already up there in his ride. He said the everything is ok, the grass area is a little muddy but they are working on it.

10. Stoveboltz

Stoveboltz

I was there. I was 12, but I was there.

11. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I was motoring in when the rains hit. I dropped my (then) wife near the front of the building and drove around the back to park. My sidepipes did the motorboat thing, too.
    The water was over the running boards as I looked for a high spot. I finally found one in the back of the building. I ran to the back entrance before it was under water.

A friend from Dayton, Ohio was driving down to meet me that day. He was driving on the interstate when his wife pointed out a house that had been high on a hill. It was moving down like it was in a California mudslide.

I remember seeing the cars parked at the Carrera booth. It took a while to register why they were not under water!

The next day I saw a yellow primed pickup with a "high water mark" around it in red prime. I was amazed that it was driving the day after the water had almost reached the top of the bed.

It was great to see all the rodders helping to save as many cars as they could.

12. papastoyss

papastoyss

I was there but no pics. We were parked in front of the West Wing & away from the deep water. My wife rode out the storm in our 32 Chevy sedan. She said the winds were rocking the car. I was inside the vendor bld. & could hear the rain . The support columns must have had drains in them for the roof, every now & then you could hear a gurgling noise & water would gush out of the top of the column & spray everyone in the area. If I remember correctly it rained 9 " in 1 1/2 hrs.

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I was there in my '33 Buick 90 Series Victoria. A very rare car that was fresh and on its maiden long distance run from upstate NY. I was crapping my pants as I stood in the main exhibition building trying to look out the windows at the fast rising water in the parking lot that held my Buick. When I could finally wade out through chest high water to see if my car was okay, I was sooooooooooo relieved to see that the water had only gotten to the running boards.

I did feel really bad for the guys whose cars were actually entirely under water. But, I was very thankful to see all of the volunteers helping anyone they could. And I was impressed with how fast tanker trucks showed up to collect the oil and gas that was being drained from the cars that had been flooded. I saw several cars that needed that service which were up and running within an hour of the flood! Just a great show of rodders helping rodders. A memory that will go to the grave with me.

14. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I was there but was parked on the west side by the building. A friend of mine had water half way up on his 37 packard. As I recall they had nine and one half inches of rain in an hour and a half time period.

15. 41woodie

41woodie

Well I finally got off my duff and rounded up some flicks from Louisville '92. My boys and I were sitting in our Model A sedan delivery watching the rain and I noticed some coolers floating by seemed like a good time to find high ground.
    After we got our car to safety we helped push some cars to higher ground, I really felt bad for some of the people.

Attached Files: