Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville... On the Bucket List?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 4, 2009.

1. BarryA

BarryA

2011 - long time to go, but I'm planning it already!!

A buddy of mine is crewing with them again this year - yeah I'm jealous as hell...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

I like the "oh by the way Jay Ward will be joining in on the JJ."

All casual like.

This place is unbelievable in the names it draws in here.

3. We will be there this Friday!! Crew members for Car #1946 Van Blarcom & Gilmore Roadster! Hope to break the record this year...last year did 215 mph but could not back it up....Wish us LUCK!!!!

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Explaining the nerdy photo: The goggles were needed as the salt & dirt were kicking up in a micro-blast wind storm- It was crazy. That ended the Hop Up party real quick, didn't it?

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hope to have my new '35 Ford Coupe out there next year. That will be pretty special for sure but I am really looking forward to getting my '32 in shape and out there one day in the real spirit of things.

Until then make way for my rented 09 Toyota Corrola out there!!!!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went with My 51 Merc in 1988 and made it to the gathering for the group photo that was taken that year. I don't remember who promoted that but the car proudly wore the window decal until the new owner shaved it off.

I took the 48 in 1998 and Camped at the bend in the road. If you are one of the guys who chased my tent down in the wind gusts an weighted it down for me, thanks+ once again.

I missed in 2008 primarily to the way too high gas costs. 600+ for the drive down and back in my 71 GMC killed that idea and I had asked for the week off six months ahead.

Ya'll have fun, set some new records and take lots of photos so the rest of us can see what we missed and tell ourselves that we will make it with our hotrod one of these days.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Speaking of that, will there be a gathering this year in spite of everything??

Also, does anyone know which day the inliner BBQ at the KOA campgrounds is going on?

8. I am leaving for Bonneville toworrow just to watch and if I see you along the side of the road, I will stop and help. I am also taking High Way 50.

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I've been holding out hope that I wouldn't be typing this but...I'm not going to make it this year. I've just got too much going on at work to make a big trip like that. I can't complain too much though, I was off nearly a month playing hot rods and at the Salt once already this year. Trouble was none of you were there to meet me, just standing water :(

So I'm expecting lots of pictures in real time on my cell phone and when you all get back. I'll be thinking of all you cruising in your hot rods and setting new records, be safe!

10. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Had planned to make it this year and ride my 82 Honda Turbo the 1400+ miles one way and camp at the bend in the road. As fate would have it, the turbo ate itself and it is being rebuilt as we speak. Planning for next year and hopefully the planets will be aligned for 2010. Good luck everbody, have a great trip.

11. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

hmmm. It all looks very familiar Mr. Ward... ;)

Sorry to say, 'sittin' this year out for the first time in a looong while.

12. crosleykook

crosleykook
    from sackamento

First time this year- and my wife is actually STOKED to be going. We can only stay one day, but that's better than nothing. wish we were driving a cool old car, but the toyota pickup is gonna have to do.

13. Spark Plug

Spark Plug
    from Duvall, WA

Leaving Saturday. Second time going to spectate. On the "bucket list" if you will is to eventually make the trip in my hot rod.

14. RDR

RDR

Put my back out about 5 weeks ago...still screwed up...can't sit for any length of time...Coming in my buddies motorhome so can lay down....Trailering the Chevy...breaks my heart not to drive it, but would rather be heartbroken than not be there !! As one of the hambers wrote to me,"I'd come back from the dead not to miss B'ville" !! See ya there...

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

16. 21tat

21tat

cant make it this year. hopefully next year. you guys have fun.

17. chopz56

chopz56

Lick the salt for me everyone i can't make it,been laid off since Nov.!Last year was my first time and i wish i could go but no $!Have fun everyone and Godspeed to you on your journey's!

18. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

I went a couple times 20+years ago(when I was 11 and 13 years old). Went out there with my dad and met up with Tony Piner and his roadster.

I remember being sooo stoked to be in the push truck behind that roadster or the few times being in the truck behind al Teague's streamliner. It's kinda crazy looking back at that stuff....

Man, gotta get back there one of these years....

19. seldom scene

seldom scene

On my bucket list for sure, but I don't do well in hot weather so I'll have to wait until the bucket is closer, then I won't care!

20. Lucky77

Lucky77

Bonneville has always been a place I HAVE to go to someday. For some reason I have a self imposed ban on the place until I can drive there in my roadster.

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I want to go SO BAD, but not sure if I can make it happen this year. Just too many commitments, too little money, too little vacation and too many other things to do...

I know... priorities, priorities.

I even have a standing offer to assist some local gentlemen that get together and pull a "tanker" out there every year (assist, or maybe just spectate and stay out of their way). Either way would be great.

I need to move this up the "To Do" list, but for now I would request, TAKE SOME GREAT PHOTOS TO SHARE!!!

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

For those who will miss Bonneville, last year there were hourly up dates from the salt on Landspeed.com. And a little later there is the bimontly Bonneville Racing news. My friend Bill Hoddinott, who has a nice Ardun powered roadster he sometimes runs at Maxton, did a nice interview with the Burklands. 415mph streamliner family. And there will be plenty of Loring as well Maxton and Bonneville information. email [email protected] . I guess Wendy is in Wendover by now, but maybe she still gets email.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

24. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

This is definately on my list......... and i should have a proper car to do so for next year....:)

25. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yup, wanna head down the salt in a model T powered by a flat T motor.

26. duste01

duste01

I went when I was invited as a senior in highschool. good times. I'd live out there if I could.

Last trip was three years ago. managed 219 mph.

27. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I have been planning on my own bucket list trip this year, but sadly the overdrive quit overdrivin last night. I dont know if the coupe will make it this year.

jeff

28. george775

george775
    from Nor Nev

The hijera starts Thursday. To Austin,NV and beyond! Reno is possessed by Hot August Nights poodle skirts and easter egg cars trailered in to town. The salt will feel good again. Sort of a "Purity of Essence" thing there Captain Mandrake.

29. bonesy

bonesy

Oh ya - someday!

30. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I'll be there next year. WITHOUT FAIL!