Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson 308 Fans / Experts... Give Me the Skinny...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrameDragger, Oct 11, 2004.

1. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

It looks like I am getting a Hudson 308 Engine for free... I know that the real sought after version is the 7x, but is the standard worth building for my 2nd Terraplane, or should I stick with the Rocket 303 I already have? Also, what are the "weak points" of the 308 (I would hate to put a bunch of work into a non-fixable unit)? Lastly, what Speed parts are available? Any pics of 308s in Rod applications?

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

3. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Thaks, cool site! They have a lot of good stuff...

I guess it sounds like I would have the only 308 Powered Rod then????

4. http://members.aol.com/stepdown53/STEPDOWNPG.html

http://www.realpinstriping.com/nascar.htm

http://members.aol.com/stepdown53/STEPDOWNRESTORATIONAIDS.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~dsollon/public.htm/

http://members.aol.com/ArmySFCRet/homepage1.html

Here are a few places I've frequented. From what I've gathered, the 262 in my Hudson wasn't a slouch either. You will be amazed at the torque of a 7-x twin-H 308. Incredible engines with a legendary NASCAR history......
    I had a ride in one once and the old fart that owned it dragraced a Firebird going up a hill, and beat him. That car is now owned by the guy whose last page I listed above. The second last one has a great section on rodded Stepdowns.

5. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Thanks Mr57!

I am wondering what kind of length this thing will have, vs. the 303... Wonder if I will have to modify the firewall...

6. krooser

krooser

When I was 14 or so a guy in my neighborhood names "Arnie"...BIG ARNIE had a Twin-H Hudson...we'd ride along with him on Friday nights to the local lover's lane...the Hudson had a big spotlight and Arnie did his best to piss off people by shining on the kids makin' out and make 'em chase down that Hudson...we'd run up to 90 or so, both carbs wide open (usually pullin' away from the pursuers)..then Arnie would "throw out the anchor" and stop...the kid chasin' us would useually run up to the car and threaten to kick our asses...then Arnie would get outta that big Hudson...all 6'6'' and 350 lbs.of him...he'd pick a guy up on occasion and throw 'em around but mostly the other guys would size up their chances and RUN...it was great fun and we did it as often as we could. Great Hudson memories!

Wurger likes this.
  7. I'm jealous... I've wanted a 27-33 Essex coupe turned roadster, like ratsters, for awhile now. Do it up with a 308, 7X style... ummmmmmmmm....

Good find. Even if it is gonna go in in place of an Olds. If only I had such a dilemma. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jay

8. Mike, the guy who owns the Whitewall Candy Store in orange has a bunch of Hudson and speed parts for them. Pretty nice guy, give him a call.

P

9. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Phil, thanks for the heads up... J2, I may end up using the Rocket in my other Terraplane (T1)... (Actually I am a huge Fan of the asthetics of engines in general... I would love to also have a 354 Hemi to round out my collection...) Wait, I also want a nailhead, and...

10. dehudso

dehudso

You'll love the 308 it has torque EVERYWHERE. It will pull forever. Yesterday my dad drove his '51 convertible to work and back after sitting for a year. Thing ran like a top cruising at 75-80mph. Stepdown hudson sixes are great. There are speed parts left for these engines, just have to kow where to look.

Lets see what I can recollect from my dad's 7X buildup:

Chevy valves.
    Clifford head
    Edmunds 2x2
    NOS head gasket
    Hylomar sealed
    Clifford headers
    Relieved block.
    ARP studs

When using a 5" stroker cran, keep it away from 4900rpm I have heard that there are some weird harmonics going on there and can tear an engine apart. The sad thing is that it sits waiting for a car to go into.

http://home.comcast.net/~dehudso/7x.jpg

11. I have at home somewhere a spec sheet I got from Clifford... I have to dig it up. It's got alot of good info. I'll see if I can find it.

ps trivia time.... my first login name was SevenX! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jay

12. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Dehudso... What do you think about an Edmunds Head vs. the 262 head on the 308 Trick?

I am talking to this guy that wants to sell me a Edmunds Head, Edmunds 2X2 intake, and a header pipe for $500... Steep for me right now, but if its worth it...

13. dehudso

dehudso

That sounds like a deal, but it all depends on the condition of the parts. Most guys went the cheap route and swapped on the 262 head, because they were reeadily available.

I think my dad paid about 500 for a NOS edmunds head a while back. It had all of the studs, and the gasket too.

From what I recollect, Walt Mordenti(sp?) had detonation on a 308 while using an edmunds head. I know he switched back to a regular iron head, but I cannot remember what one. I do not remember if he shaved any off of the block, or off of the head. One thing to remember is to torque those headbolts, and retorque 'em, and retorque 'em some more.

Try www.classicar.com and the hudson forum there. There aler many other people there that know a lot more than I do.
    I only have 19 years under me, but a lot was spent around hudsons.

14. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Hmm... Detonation. Supposedly there were multiple Edmunds Heads (with 3? different compression ratios). Wonder if he got a head that put the compression over 10:1... I guess that will be something to confirm prior to purchase...

15. dehudso

dehudso

crap crap crap. Now I am second guessing myslef. It might have been a clifford head on Mr. Mordenti's car.

Yeah. I'd ceck the chamber volume if at all possible.

16. There are some guys who run a Hudson digger at the Inliner events. They would be a good source of knowledge. They are Bitchen engines.

I made a shit load of money street racing my pop's '52 Twin H Powered Hornet. It went sort of like this: "C'mon Billy, your mom's car has a 265 V8 with a Powerglide. My dad's ol' Hornet has a flathead six and a slushbox. I'm gonna beat ya 'cause ya can't drive for shit. " I never said I had 308" of high compression 2 carb power. That ol' Hudson had so much commpression that it'd only run on Chevron Supreme- white pump gas. Break the tires and fishtail going into second. Back window full of Lions Drag Strip trophy stickers when he bought it in 1961.

The engine is in the Terraplane family if I'm not mistaken. I hope you do build it, I'd love to see it.

CP

17. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Phil, Yeah, I think I will, the main reason being the Hudson lineage...

So... you were getting detonation too... Was that with a stock 308 head? I would hate to have to buy stock in an octane booster company [​IMG]

I am also not a huge fan of the 6 Cyl. Exhaust note... So I guess I will be running 6 pipes...

M-

18. Mutt

Mutt

From July '63 HRM

19. Mutt

Mutt

20. Mutt

Mutt

engine info

21. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Wow Mutt Thanks! I forgot how detailed the old magazines were when it came to mechanical stuff... 700 Pounds huh...

22. disastron13

disastron13

It was a cool motor in the old days and still is.
    Factory relieved block, huh? If I was goin to build a vintage street motor... the most highly developed flathead motors ever built were the late 60s KRTT Daytona motors, when Dick O'Brian was R&D chief. I have seen the insides of one, they are beautiful. Too bad photos of them are so rare. Building a Hudson 6 would be soooooo cool.

23. dehudso

dehudso

I'm glad you got more kowledgeable guys in here to help you.

That article was pretty cool.

24. Yup, it had detonation, big time. It had a milled stock head, we bought it used and I don't know the build info but it went like stink! Loped like it had a lot of lift and duration. Lots of duration. Had Engle cam and B&M stickers.