Register now to get rid of these ads!

Selling Junk on the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hibbyjr53, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know.. it's good junk. I looked thru the classifieds after I sold my Thames here the other day, and there's way to many of you mugs out there selling stuff on the HAMB that aren't Alliance Members.
    Now look at what we have here. We can sell as much as we want, to a targeted demographics, all over the world for only 50 bucks a year. Unless you sell on that Craig guy's list for free (limited to your area) your gonna pay a large percentage of your selling price. Shoot, e-gay'/pay-not your pal is practicly partner's in your transaction. Plus, if you join the Alliance, ya get to recoupe extra bucks when you buy from the great Alliance Vendors we have!........I'm just saying!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Besides the support it provides to this site, being an Alliance member is also a support to the vendors, because you can easily identify where to get the parts you need. The bonus is the savings you automatically get for being an Alliance member - just make sure to include that info when you make the purchase.

3. just to show you how cool the Alliance members are, I have purchased from a few and they gave me a discount because I've been on the HAMB for a while. You gotta love this site, the vendors, members and all the goodies, now when I get some spare change, I am gonna pony up to Ryan, after all, I've already gotten my discounts, now its my turn to return.
    The way I have returned to the HAMB was by offering certain folks free powder if they pay the shipping. I see something someone has hand crafted and I offer to powder since I know they are in the same Tight Money boat as I am in, and if its something I can afford to help with, then I offer, as I know I should for being here.

4. plmczy

plmczy

Trying not to be a dick but what does being an Alliance member have to do with selling used parts? I'd like to become a member but every bit of cash I get goes to the car. I guess thats my hell for not going to college:(

5. ^^ I understand what your saying, he is just saying its nice to help sponsor the site and help with the management and costs associated with it.
    plus, its gives ya a warm and fuzzy feelin' inside. yeah, thats it.

6. It's pretty simple, you pay for the ability to use the site for selling your junk.
    Man, i'm a drop out and I have it figured out!

QUOTE=plmczy;4183275]Trying not to be a dick but what does being an Alliance member have to do with selling used parts? I'd like to become a member but every bit of cash I get goes to the car. I guess thats my hell for not going to college:([/QUOTE]

7. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

It`s all about respect really. There is a ton of people that come on here with the sole purpose to try and sell thing`s and that`s it. They could care less about the rest of this great site. And to me,that is just wrong.

8. rodknocker

rodknocker

Not trying to be a dick either, but after being a member since 2001, I'm sure something on the HAMB be it knowledge,discount, or parts probably have saved you well over $50. If everyone here on the HAMB had the same mentality as you had this place wouldn't exist, It does cost money to run a website.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

So are you saying it should Be MANDATORY that we Pay to post parts For Sale here?

Selling parts isnt just Helping the seller get $$ for his car, It also Helps the BUYER find stuff for there car as well.

As a Seller in the add's it goes Both ways, And i will tell ya this also.

I have had HAMB buyers that are happy to get what i have offered, I have also had HAMB member string me out by saying they want stuff and CONTINIUE to send P/Ms saying they want it & $$ is on the way only to NEVER come thru or even say they changed there mind.

I have WAITED at my house for HAMB members to come over & NEVER show up or call.

Now you say " Pay for the ability to us ethe site to sell Junk ?

Another thing is... What if you pay & NEVER use the Alliance Membership ?

I have bought 1 Tire from Coker the entire time i have been a HAMB member .... So where does that put me ?

If i never use the membership, Does it make sense to Buy it ?

Dont even say i get a NEAT dash plaque or plate Topper, If i DID pay you would Never see that stuff on my car ... Its not a BillBoard.

I have lately Contemplated buying an Alliance membership, but i havent weighd out the pros & cons. Do i Buy to be with The "IN" crowd or do i use the money to buy parts or better yet ... A personal Bill that is due ?

Besides all this, Who Made YOU the Alliance Membership Police ?

10. Glen

Glen

If you sold one thing a year thats probably not a big deal....but there are people who list weekly like its a business.

I usually list my ads: " Free shipping to members "

11. kriscad

kriscad
    from Nashville

I hate to say this...

But I would of never signed up as a member if it had not been for a "non member" selling something that I wanted.

12. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

A "non member" sold me a 235 rocker shaft assembly last year when I couldn't find anything locally.

The help was much appreciated.

I think there is enough incentive to be an alliance member already without the "you can't sell parts here until you pay up" threat.

That will just make people sell elsewhere.

Shawn

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I joined the alliance And ill never use the discounts. The knowledge and people here are great . I did it to give something back.It's like a huge carclub here with no dues. So 50.00 is a contribution.

14. BBobb

BBobb

The bottom line is this.Becoming a alliance member helps support the HAMB in general has most of you guys allready know. The next time you log on to the Hamb take a couple of minutes to think about all the work a very small hand full of people that really work their asses off to keep this board up and running go through.I have been on the HAMB for a short time and have witness Ryan on more than one or more occasion revamp the forum to better it's use for it's members,not to mention that if you buy something from a fellow alliance member and the deal goes bad Ryan will go to bat for the member that is in the right.Try getting that type of help on ebay or craigslist...at best your screwed before you list your part if the deal goes bad.For all the wealth of talent,informatiom and the good friends and parts conections with buying and shipping discounts i feel the 50.00 is some of the best money i will spend in a year.........Just my two cents for what it's worth!!!

15. Desoto, I know what your'e saying. Although I never said it should be mandatory (I luv how people read into things), I did think about that as something Ryan might consider. The problem with doing that is it would decease the amount of adds that would be posted and limit whats available to us on the HAMB. As far as complaints about deadbeats and inconsiderate people being here.... well, that's everywere in our society sad to say.

16. agtw31

agtw31

excellent point.

there's no reason to whine about your business transactions,if they dont go the way you want them to.

that's just the way it goes.

if you sell parts or cars on this site,the least you could do is throw a 50 to this board once a year.

that's just doing the right thing,and good business sense.

17. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

+1. With all the work that Ryan does to keep this site running, $50/yr to help support him is the least that I can do. And I don't even have a "traditional" rod! Well...late 70's traditional maybe. :rolleyes:

18. solid

solid

sellers having trouble with buyers, and vice versa is just the nature of things when you sell as much as some of you guys do on here. The whole point is that you dont have to be a member to sell on here. Some people may not have the extra $cash$, i understand that. But most do. This is a great place to find info, and cool hot rod stuff. Its worth every penny of that fifty bucks to be a member here. If you have sold anything on here and made over that you would be ahead. Its not about the cool tag, or being in the "in crowd", this shit cost $$$$$$$$$$$$. Just trying to do my part, maybe you should too.

19. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Not to be a dick as well, but just because something is free doesn't mean you should just keep taking. At some point everyone should pitch in to help support something we all enjoy and use on a daily basis. This site doen't run for free.

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I sell on occasion. I've been a member for 3 years? I think 3 years.

I tend to mind my own business though. I will note that given a preference that I will by from a member over a non member but I've never had a bad deal in any instance here.

I'm thinking secret decoder rings may entice more to join.

21. BBobb

BBobb

19 post has of the time i keyed in the reply.......Not a single alliance member bitching about the membership it's dues or any thing negative what so ever.......It's the right thing to do!!!

22. 52style

52style

hell if you cant afford 50 duketts how the hell can you afford hot rodding

but whatever to each is own

23. I like Magical Poontang rings but that's another story

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Them things are too darn expensive to give away.

25. BBobb

BBobb

Let's see if Ryan would be willing to throw a moooooood ring in. Then my wife would know right before i get pissed of about something

26. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

It's simple, if ya want to be apart of a cool site and want respect, pay your dues!

Ya shouldn't need a reason to help support a place that ya use! No support, then someday, we'll all be sitting in front of our computers looking at stupid shit.

Being a member, last year, I saved over $300 in discounts and shipping from vendors, and I thank them for that. All the help and info I've received from others on this site, have been more than helpful, and I thank you all. I bought and sold in the classifieds and had nothing but success. And most of all, the entertainment and commerodary on the H.A.M.B. has been great and makes it well worth being a member and keeps me coming back for more.

Times are tough, but come on, how hard is it to scrape 50 bucks together!

Lets keep it going, So, pay your dues!

27. draggin breath

draggin breath

I've tried to sell here and always struck out. I buy a LOT on here. To sell I use the fordbarn and donate after every sale or purchase. it's voluntary and the moderator and I am both happy. The thing that might work here is charge for every car listing;they are bigger bucks and it might reduce the number of vanity ads, [Overpriced to feed their egos] Ryan knows if he needs help we all would pony up.

28. KKustoms

KKustoms

I was an Alliance Member and will be again when I can afford it. But the fact that the classifieds are free, in my opinion, helps the HAMB. Gives someone looking for that hard to find last piece they need, a place to look besides evil bay. Being free, means that the guy that wants to sell it is more likely to list it for sale on here then on that other site. And at the same time the mod can delete any O/T crap that shouldnt be listed on here, or spam that you get on Craigs site. I do agree that a web site costs money to run that's why when I can I throw some money Ryan's way, but at the same time its nice to be able to get on here for free when I am broke.

29. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

If you guys keep pushing for and somehow it happens.(To be a member to sell) You will cut down on the parts avilable to everybody else who is building a car. I dont have a problem with paying to be a aliance member, I just dont need what it offers. the site started for free and Ryan has stated in the past (I believe I read it in the magazine thread) that he has no intentions of making money off of it in the comercial sence.

30. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

If Ryan needs money for the site, lets have a auction for it. I dont mind helping if needed, just dont like being told to pay for something that has been free for all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.