Register now to get rid of these ads!

Body Shop Horror Stories & The one to stay away from.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950Effie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. RDR

RDR

If I didn't do my own work I couldn't afford this hobby...hobby hell, it's a lifestyle...can't afford to keep up with new car prices...decided years ago to drive old cars that go up in value instead of newer cars that depreciate....Even bought a house that had a shop and spray booth once just to quit building in a single car garage...no one is born knowing anything...LEARN HOW TO DO IT AND DO IT YOURSELF...

2. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Actually I do pay a pro...And thanks for asking.
    If you want milk do you milk you own cows as well? Oh by the way did I mention that I am a ASE Master Auto and HD Truck tech. I respect all people of our trade and believe in letting the experts in the areas they specialize in handle the work. I don't expect them to do diesel engine overhauls so I don't think they expect me to do paint and body work.
    Would you take your high tech auto to the local Prep Boys to do fuel and engine management repairs? I don't thanks so Bud! So the "quit complaining" shit don't cut it with me. Because it is body shops like the one I dealt with that give my industry the bad rap that it has. We're not grease monkey and I hate that word. We are experts in our field. But with specilaize it what we want. It is a profession to be proud of.

Hey, I just wanted help out others by this posting. But, I guess you need no help and have no need to call a friend or other car buddies for advice neither. Hey for that matter why do you even bother to be on this web site if your not lookign for advice, connections or information. Be fair. Yes it is a hobby to some and a business to others. But no one knows it all.

3. There are few things I would not just do myself on my car. But the paint and more then likely upholstery will be done by someone who does it everyday with a good reputation. Everything else I will take care of myself including the body work. I respect and thank you for the first hand knowledge you have presented along with others on this topic so far.-Weeks

4. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

After getting burned time after time, I expect any shop to be a ripper offer and do some CYA appropriately. I guess I'm just skeptical of any place now.

Just about whatever the job is, I'd rather buy the tools and give it a try myself. My results are FAR from perfect, but I can afford the work and don't feel cheated :D

5. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

you've never EVER paid someone to work on your car? i find that hard to believe. your high and mighty bullshit gets fucking old.

6. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

He took it to a man who has a body shop. They agreed on how much work would be done and a price. 3 and a half YEARS LATER,,,,,,,,,,,the frame is done!? I think Effie is a saint for not choking the life outta that piece of shit. It's not a hobby when you agree AND pay for work to be done.

7. I do. But I don't like to brag;)

On a serious note, It sounds like the truck is in good hands now.

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

A good friend of mine had his Olds at a body shop...brought it in in 2004...JUST got it back. The body and paint were AMAZING...the engine bay, interior and tires were DESTROYED from dust, overspray, etc...

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

again my question,,WTF lets there car just sit there if nothings getting done and you have asked once,,if the works paid for pull the damn thing out and take it somewhere else

10. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

It's the "work is paid for " that keeps them there. Didn't your mother tell you, "Money doesn't grow on trees".

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yeah ,thats why I've never been able to pay a guy $1000 every 45 days to work on my stuff :D

12. Irvan

Irvan

When I was a little kid clowns were scary, now I'm 62 and afraid of body shops.

13. ditto!

14. sledish

sledish

That blows

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

When an $8,000 paint job costs you $10,000 in tire, wheel, interior and engine bay damage I'd say you probably have the right to tell EVERYONE you know to avoid that shop. It wasn't my car and isn't my story, so I won't say who it was, but suffice to say that if you don't like the filth, the dust, the disarray, or overall don't like what you see out in front of or inside the shop (if they'll even let you take a look) then MOVE ON to the next body shop.

16. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Been in these situations myself..... The lessons we learn along the way! My dad used to say...shoulda been f**ked by a whore, woulda been a lot cheaper!

17. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I understand how you feel, but I must say this does not represent every person under 65. I'm am only 31 and a handshake means a hell of a lot more to me than any of this "sign here, here and here" bull#@$%

18. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

This is great!

19. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

" McPherson University in KS with a degree in auto restoration."

Are you shitting us?
    Who the FK is qualified to give such a course let alone a degree in it?

The ticket is worth the paper its written on, nothing more.

Qualified restorers are born of the generations that precided them, not concrete towers.

Michealangelo did not have a degree in art, yet his work speaks for itself.

20. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

I had this problem but not with a body shop but with an electrician on my 69. we traded a $1000 fence for him to redo the tail lights.1 year and 10 visits later all we had was a bunch of cut wires scratched paint and a broken dashboared and passenger door (still has a big ass hole cut in it from when he wanted to put speakers) and still no taillights. (and no brake lights turn signals dome light...etc)

21. zzford

zzford

Whatta asshole !

22. btbsandman

btbsandman

Thats what I love about the HAMB there is no filter on anyones opinions here.

23. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

While you do have a very valid point in that statement. Not all of us painters are bad guys.;)

Very well said.

24. white64

white64
    from Maine

I try to do everything by myself.. it takes longer (cuz I gotta day job), My Plymouth is the fourth car I'm painting ( I took classes at the loacal vo-tech), each paintjob is getting better, each panel fitment is tighter, each weld is better. When I go to a show and look around at the other cars; there are 10k paint jobs there and they are beautiful, and there are $500 paint jobs done by the owner that are good! ..not great, but still good! But each are just fine with me.
    I don't crap on either person's car, they were doing the best they could either way. Hey if I could afford to write the check and spend my time doing other things I just might!

25. phukinartie

phukinartie

Ditto!! My dad always said
    a mans real worth is his word

26. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I farm out paint and upholstery-have the cars painted in pieces and I sand, rub out and assemble--I do a little research and talk with others and have never had a major problem--sometimes it costs a little more if something odd is discovered but nothing major--have been playing whit this stuff since 59 too. There are good body and paint folks out there as well as upholstery guys as well--

27. toledobill

toledobill

I checked "Charlie Cooper Restorations" on your local BBB site -- they say they only received 1 complaint since he opened, and that complaint was resolved. You let US know about the crap-weasel, now let the local people know about him when they contact the Better Business Bureau before choosing a shop.

28. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

The one complaint was me. I filed it, and it was never resolved! The BBB never bothered to follow up on my initial complain other than thanking me for my effort to help define a business that does not operate under their association guidelines. I have tried a couple of more times to have the claim reopened. But unless it is a new incident they will not do it. Now thats bureaucratic bullshit!

So, I have let my local buds know, rodders and the clubs I belong too. Plus I have spread it around at the local shows. The best way to get a reputation good or bad is by word of mouth. Hum, kinda like here on the HAMB! So far I have found three other guys with the same issues from the same shop. But unlike me they were not willing to wait or work it out. Same promises, same miss quoted estimate, and jack the price up on ya when he has you hooked.
    I know I was a stooge for letting this kid do the work. But hey, how many times did we hope someone would give us a break when we first started out? The young guns of this world deserve a break or will never get anyone interested in this trade or the rodding world. I had seen his work for a few years when he worked for the shop that now has my truck. He was good at what he does. The major problem is the dick just can't run a business. So in the grand scheme of things he used my money to get his crap up and running, used it all up and didn't have the green to buy the paint and other stuff to finish it. So the old stall tactic. He would move from one project to the next using the new stuff too fund the old he had taken in. Piss poor managment. But hey, I asked for it and I got it. Unfortunaltey I didn't get the common courtesy of a reach around!

McPherson University is a full acredited two year training program. Hell. Jay Leno is even on the board of directors!

He does nothing now but Porsche's, Camaros and Stangs. I have not seen an old vehicle anywhere near his shop, which I have to pass everyday on the way to may office.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  29. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont know about that guy but I have never paid anyone to work on my cars.
    I have paid for upholstery and crate motors. Does that count?
    Nobody works on my cars but me.
    It helps that I have never had a newer modern car

30. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I would rather do a job myself and get 99% of it right compared to 100% with paying a professional and do it for at least 1/3 of the cost. Granted you'll have to purchase specialized tools for certain tasks but once they are bought it just makes you more capable of other tasks.
    Of course you'll always sub-out special processes such as engine machining and such.