Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dana 44 ring and pinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT6, Jul 31, 2009.

1. FLAT6

FLAT6

I am not familiar with these rear ends and am wondering what ring and pinion I can install in my '62 GMC Dana 44 rear. I am looking to go to the 3.07:1 ring/pinion, and have found one that was intended for a jeep, so my question is, is there any difference in the pinion (spline number/length, diameter) that would make it a pain to swap into the Dana under my GMC. I could just get a yoke from a jeep if there is a difference I guess. Any advice?

Mike

2. TRUCKENSTEIN

TRUCKENSTEIN

I have dealt abit with dana 44 in 4x4 and I have found that my best resource is the off-raod sites, this one is very good and the guys on their really know their stuff www.pirate4x4.com I believe that is the website, to my understanding all dana 44's are the same, and alot of older International Scouts had the gear ratio you are looking for

3. If you have have a carrier that is for 3.73 or higher, the Jeep gearset will work just fine because it is generic. If the spline count on the gearset you found is different than original, you'll need to buy a pinioin yoke. 26 splines, 1310 series driveshaft uses part number 2-4-8091-1x with a 2-70-28x strap and bolt kit.
    Coast Driveline, Powertrain Industries, whatever the Crane Carrier store is in LA will have the yoke in stock, like me.

4. FLAT6

FLAT6

Thanks guys

Mike

5. FLAT6

FLAT6

Another question, will a carrier previously used in a front axle have any issues being used in a rear axle? I can only imagine that maybe the bearings and spider gears would have taken some sort of a set in one direction and might not like spinning the other direction in the rear axle. Any thoughts?

Mike