Register now to get rid of these ads!

They should have bleachers in the shutdown area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 30, 2009.

1. I agree with saving as many tracks as we can - but running these cars on that track is just plane stupid, disregard for racer saftey, and hell we are a "not so bright" bunch of people who drag race anyway - set up a christmas tree and we'll race. Build a better shut down and put more K rail up around those light posts -good god...

2. That's not funny at all. They shouldn't be running that track, someone is going to get killed.

3. No, the comment I was pointing to was funny.
    If I was touring and showed up at that track with one of those cars it would have never left the trailor.

4. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

First off, the drivers and crews should be made aware of how the track runs and how much shutdown area they have. From the sounds of some of those cars it seems they are running them out the back door and that is on the driver.

Barona has run CIFCA funny cars and Pro Mods on it with only a few problems caused by Mechanical or Driver problems.

And no, there is nothing wrong with 1/8th mile racing when that is all the property you have. It would suck when you do not have a place to race anymore!!

5. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

If they want to keep running promod and fast as hell cars then they need to pave more so the shut down is longer, buy more ground if possible. I can't see any of those racers coming back until then. Hell even the bikes could barely stop! It did sound like they were running them out the back door, but other tracks don't have this problem. Looks like that promoter just shot himself in the foot. Better him than me. Gotta have some common sense!

6. Rust Monkey

Rust Monkey

The really pathetic thing is that the track is fairly recent construction. Less than 10 years old probably.

7. I agree! DON'T CLOSE IT. Just limit what's allowed to run there

8. Going to 1,000 feet is just moving the traps foward from 1,320. Thus, adding 320 feet to the shut down length.

9. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

It was built in 2000.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

pretty scary shit man.
    If i owned and ran that type of equipment and saw the first 2 runs go the way they did..I'd be putting my toy away and going home..
    Looks like its going to have to kill someone before they take it seriously..this track, those cars (bikes) ..bad match.

Darwin award winner right there my friends

11. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

BTW, the track is owned by David Hagan (father of NHRA funny car driver Matt Hagan).

Again, while it may be too short for Pro Mods, it's an outstanding dragstrip.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  12. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

If they're going to run that fast,they should just make the runoff area steeper with a complete drop off and put a trapeze catch net out there for the flying cars. Now THAT would make an interesting video! :D Seriously, this is pretty scary stuff. I wonder how much damage in actual dollars was incurred that day. Hopefully there were no injuries.

13. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

when I was still on the team, the guys to beat seemed to come from tenessee, so we went to check it out. You want to talk about some nice tracks...damn. 3/4's of a mile of sticky glass. just really nice tracks.

Down near San Antonio, there is a fairly new track that is as nice. the only scary part about it is the "sand trap" is actually a corn field.

14. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

That pretty much describes Numedia years ago. First time I went there in the 70's with my FED I got there early and walked the track. The shutdown was steep uphill with a chainlink fence across the track at the top. In the center of the fence was a sign that said 'Hit Here". The sign was mounted on a steel pipe post concreted in the ground. On the other side of the fence was down a steep mountainside covered with trees. The shutoff was so steep I had to sit in the car and hold the brake until someone got there to hold the car so I could get out.

15. I would bet if the track's insurance company saw this video it would be shut down in a hurry!

16. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

Suicidal drag racing anyone?

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sure, lots of carnage, but, this is a video that has been edited for EFFECT. I wonder how many "good" runs were made? Any racing is dangerous, and it's not always the track at fault. The Pro Mod cars ARE too much for this track, they're too much for a lot of 1/4 mile strips too. The shut down, uphill onto a plateu, and then the plateu seems to be pretty dirty/dusty, just is'nt long enough. Drivers and crews sign releases for a reason, don't put it all on the track owner; it's an IHRA track, want to close them down also? From the arial photo, it looks like the startline could be moved back a bit, giving more shutdown. Besides, how many people go to races just to watch someone crash, is'nt that the old joke? Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. crider

crider

That track is local to me, and as was stated above it's owened by the father of NHRA's Matt Hagan. The sad part is that the shutdown has actually been lenghtened to get to where it is now! I made a couple passes there in an old vega funny car blown on alcky when it first opened, you needed your hand on the chute before the finish line. Really a shame because it is an all concrete track and hooks great, but the farmer that owns the field at the end wont sell enough land to extend it any further

19. BigChief

BigChief

The ADRL should have taken the track's money to show up for the show. They then should have turned right around and gave it to the ADRL drivers and paid them to run the cars......all with throttle stops set at 1/4 throttle. The show goes on, the contract is (technically) complied with and everybody goes home with an intact car. ....and the track owner gets to rethink things for the next season without leg to stand on in regard to suing anybody. If the ADRL cars go down the track, there is no breach of contract...I'm sure there are no performance requirements in the contract beyond showing up and running a competition between the ADRL cars.

I really can't believe I'm saying this but, new track of not, this is one example where there should be a speed limit.

-Bigchief.