Register now to get rid of these ads!

Read this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Safety warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 25, 2009.

1. 61TBird

61TBird

Why the HELL did he wait NINE FREAKIN' days to go to the ER???

I'm in agreement with others that it sucks and everyone needs to careful with chemicals.
    But sitting at his computer AFTER it happened and his Left side shaking for 10-15 minutes and later finding out it was a seizure???
    WTF???:eek::eek::eek:
    I don't care if you have Health Insurance or not,going home and "thinking" you'll get better is the WRONG thing to do.
    ANYTIME you have an adverse reaction to a chemical of ANY kind,
    GET YOUR ASS TO A HOSPITAL!!!
    Thinking you're going to "get better" could be the LAST thing you'll ever do.

I feel bad for the guy in the sense he had his "near death" experience.
    But I don't feel bad in the sense he knowingly mis-used a chemical.

2. 61TBird

61TBird

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

definetly going to copy and post this at work..serious ass shit man

4. LowBlazin

LowBlazin
    from Austin, TX

time to start looking at disposable welding respirators

5. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

wow I learned something today..thanks for the post

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

thinking of how many times i have used brake kleen before welding scares the crap out of me.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Being in commercial HVAC you can't emphisize this info enough to the young guys. I've gotten my fair share of a snout full of phosgene. Nowhere near what Brew Dude came up against but enough to make my lungs stop working for a few seconds.

Anytime you're welding and you see green,purple and/or blue flame, back off immediately.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Or the smell of moldy hay? Gary

10. how could this not become a sticky? with no cure compare it to a bad case of "INDUSTRIAL AIDS!:eek::eek:

11. buzz37

buzz37

Man, I won't be using it like I do anymore. Thanks for the input, I'll be passing this info on

12. luis.garza

luis.garza

Scary shit... I emailed all my friends and posted the link on Facebook. Thanks for the heads up!

13. Kenny P

Kenny P

Thanks for the posting!!!! HOLY CRAP, That's crazy!

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

At the Lincoln welding school they caution to only use NON- CHLORINATED brake clean.

Ago

15. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

GAD, me to....:(

Gonna read up on safer ways though.

I read it, not being a chemist, I don't know what any of that crap is... I think that's the problem with an MSDS sheet. So , uh, what do we do with that information on stuff we don't know what the hell it is? All of it reads the same to me.

Makes you wonder if a group of blind chemists is sitting around somewhere, equally dumfounded that staring at a welding arc has made them blind. It's just light for pete sake.... ;)

16. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Just wanted to keep this on top. Please heed these Warnings Sh%%T Does Happen , I spent 28 yrs working for myself built up nice little Bus. Allways scouwned at Osha. Said this was my bus. Thanks for the concern but what would you know about my bus. I'm been at this 25+ years no problem. Then 1 friday afternoon had sent employs home in morning due to wet conditions. Thought I could do 1 small thing on my own with out the help of others,even my wife would always warn me about working alone. Be sides I,v done this a hundred times b4 by my self. A few close calls but just chaulk that up to experince.
    Long story short, found myself 32 ft below where I was at a second ago. Hit Concrete. That was 14 months ago. Still not sure if I will be able to walk Normally or be vertical more than 60-90 min,Damn wish I would of listened to osha.I guess its called been there done that. Please take the time to be SAFE.

17. Wow. I'll definitely share it at work. Major SAFETY MOMENT.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  18. Right click on the article, click on "copy", paste it into a Word document. Scary stuff indeed.

19. Zephyr3789

Zephyr3789

Wow, thank you for posting. This post truely brought to my attention how ignorant I have been when using these common cleaners! I'll definitely be passing this information along.

20. BoulevardBomber

BoulevardBomber

The fellas at work use that stuff for everything, even cleaning up after an oil change with the car running, I coppied it and will make sure all 23 techs read it, Thank you !

21. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

A respirator will not work to filter out the phosgene gas, they may say it will,but we had a guy at work that was wearing a respirator and it didn't help him - We used to have a parts cleaner for aluminum parts at a shop I worked at that used tetrachlorocthylene that was just outside of the welding dept. It seems that the vapors from this fluid are transformed to a phosgene gas when it comes in contact with the u/v while welding, it is tasteless and odorless, the only taste you'll get is from the hydrogenchloride vapors - - by then it is to late.

22. Big Tony

Big Tony

WOW...great post and this does need to be a reminder to us all..I can see me or any of my friends doing this...WOW

23. goldflake

goldflake

wow..wild stuff, but right on read the warnings!!!!

24. poweredbylincoln

poweredbylincoln
    BANNED

thank you for post!!!!!!!!

25. onedge

onedge

wow definitely worth taking heed too... have to change from that habit. thanks for the info.

26. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Bumping this back to the top.The more people that see this,the better.
    Good posting,37 Kid.Judging by the responses here,you may just have saved a life or two!

27. tdoty

tdoty

Wow! I honestly would not have read this if I hadn't seen the BREW link. Steve was one of my heroes when I was younger and healthier - I truly lusted after one of his bikes!

I guess there is a good reason to use the flammable brake cleaner instead!

Tim D.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

bumping this back up!! I knew about the R12 burning producing phosgene and killing people, I had forgotten about the propane leak detectors, I remember the label saying use in a well ventilated area, burning r12 prduces phoasgene gas. This stuff is so deadly and kills people in such a horrible way, that Hitler used it to gas people in the death camps during world war 2. I wouldn't take chances but the only safety gear that would protect you is a full head positive pressure respirator, the hood kind. I say positive pressure because the slight pressure in the hood only allows gasses to flow out not in.

29. phosgene is also know as musterd gas!

30. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

It was used in WWI to kill the enemy in the trenches. It is heaver then air and would find its way to low lying areas.

One of the classes I teach is HAZMAT in the fire service. And just in case any of you are wondering how much is 4 parts per million. One part per million is like taking one garden pea and placing it in a railroad box car.