Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever have to talk someone out of buying your parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sphynx, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I run adds from time to time on craigslist .This morning I get a call from an older guy 60ish who wants to know about a chevy s-10 frame I have for sale.Now I could use the money but he informs me that his plans are to use it under his 31 chevy sedan . Now thats where I heard enough and myself being a young guy 30ish I sent him here thank god for THE H.A.M.B. so I hope he makes it and someone can help him with his delima .Now I could have played dumb but I probably have made a friend for life and hopefully a new brother to our cause !

2. And you prevented the destruction of a '31 Chevy in the process.

3. striper

striper

Amen brother.

You took one for the greater good.

What was the guy's name? I have a '79 Buick frame I want to sell.

4. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

Not too many people like that around here like that anymore

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

To answer your question, NO, when I place an add for something I want to sell, I sell it to the first guy with the green. It sure isn't the last S-10 chassis in the world.

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I had to talk some guy out of buying a motor recently because it wouldn't bolt up the way he expected it too. It really sucked, he literally had the money in hand. But karma is a ruthless bitch and you gotta throw it out the way you want it back.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Earl has taught us well.

8. nutajunka

nutajunka

Yes 9 out of 10 times they will come back and bug the crap outta you asking questions about "how" to make it work when you told them it would'nt in the first place.

9. I get that more in the winter when I sell model trains and someone wants to buy their kid a bunch of things they're either way too young for or obviously from their behavior already the stuff they buy is going to be destroyed in less time than it takes to take it out of the bag at home. At least now I can use the federal lead law as an excuse.

But I had one family a couple years ago, the kids damn near breaking stuff while it's still on my table, they pick some things out and the guy wants to know if I'll take a check. I said no, visions of him cancelling it Monday because by 9:00 Sunday night the kids have wrecked the stuff and are complaining about it.

I've blocked some eBay bidders after they ask questions that indicate they have no idea what they're looking at and won't be happy with their purchase, too.

But I do it mostly so I don't have to deal with the hassle of them whining about it wanting their money back after the fact, more so than because I'm actually worried about them. It's a tough old world, I'm not going to lose any sleep because someone picked my stuff to make a boner buy from when they should have known better and sure didn't have to buy anything at all. If people don't make mistakes, they won't learn anything. I just want to avoid the people who are going to make their mistake my fault.

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked a guy out of buying my last Ducati, it was not a standard bike and he just didn't understand how rare it was. I worked this out when he couldn't understand why the wheels were composite Magnesium and carbon fiber.
    Sent him to the local dealer to buy a standard 996.
    Doc.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've talked people out of parts a bunch. I also talk myself out of work. Could of made a mint ruining cars. I try not to.

I knew there was another reason I liked you, besides the Nailheads and being a grumpy old fuck. :eek::D I sold my last Duc a month or two ago. Now it's either another Duc or a Guzzi...

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ducati, two wheeled perfection. You have a friend for life!
    Doc.

13. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I've almost given up on Craigslist ads. The amount of responses that you have to talk out of buying parts for whatever reason is just exhausting. Why can't I just get someone that says, "That's exactly what I'm looking for" and hands me cash?

I recently had a running older carbureted Ford 300 motor for sale. I was dealing with a guy that wanted to try to adapt the head off of my motor to his newer fuel injected 300. I told him it wasn't going to work without a lot of work and would require modifications that would be a lot harder than just getting the correct cyl. head for his application. After I told him that he said he thought it'd be worth it since the price was so cheap. I told him he should shop around a little more before he got into this kind of project. Never heard back from him but I think it's for the best...calls like that all the time...

Jay

14. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Truth.

Got a ton of off-topic cars and parts I'd like to sell, but I'm leery of putting anything up for sale because dumb VW Vortex kids will wear you out (and even try to sue) if the car or parts don't work out like they expect.

15. Yea i do it all the time as i am a big beliver in the karma thing.

Just last week end i had a older man show up at my shop wanting to buy a high end Merc. I just happen to have 2 avail but after talking to him booth of mine were to wild for him, So i gave him a ph number to another Merc builder how has a real nice Merc for sale more like he wanted. He just called me yesterday afternoon and thanked me for giving him the info to look at that merc. Then he told me he was realy impressed with my work and has decided of have me build him one from scratch. So i am now looking for a good stock 49 or 50 project 2dr merc for him. Anyone got one for sale ? If so Pm me.

GB & Thanks, Rick Erickson of EXK
    21093 Grand ave Wildomar Ca 92595
    www.ericksonskustoms.com
    [email protected]

16. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

thank you for saving the life of a sedan..i also have sent about 5 guys here lately..good guys hoping to expand the community

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Ive had a few guys say "hey i know you need the money so why dont you sell me that...such and such....so i can hang it on the wall at my shop"..
    I think it would look cooler on the wall of my shop, thanks

18. 5window

5window

Good move-and maybe there's someone out there restoring an S-10. Probably getting ready for a NSRA event. :)

19. Jax2A

Jax2A

I've got a good friend about 55 years old that keeps wanting my 46 Willys CJ2A project. I keep telling him he doesn't want it. The truth is that he does not have the patience or temperment to deal with the "making things work together" of a hot rod type project. I keep telling him if he wants an old Jeep or truck to spend a little more and get a running mostly stock one that he can just tweak on and do a rolling fixer up project. He gets so stressed when things don't go right there's no way he could deal with a total rebuild project so I'd never sell a project to him.

20. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

more than once I have talked a person out of a purchase of my parts.... it goes smoother than if you tell them they are too stupid to use the parts correctly

21. ems customer service

ems customer service

belive it or not we at ems have to talk a lot guys out buying stuff cuase it wont work, it was made by gm so it must be same why wont it fit my buick, lasalle or i got a mopar and i cant find anyhting so i will try to adapt a chevy and a ford, alot of guys get pissed at use for this,

then some of them will call back a few weeks later and say they have a chevy or ford and then call us back and say the want to retrun it cause it does not fit a hudson or something else we find out they lied to use about the car the have. it is a big p[ain i the ass and costs us a bunch every month in over head and credit card fees etc. i do not know how it is my fault when they buy a part thet does not fit there cars

22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yeah ,,I have,,cause they don't know what it is they just want it ,,thinking it will fit there needs.. I always ask "what is it you plan to do" and have no trouble saying ,,NO this won't work for you..Its better that way

One cause people lied to me many times when I was learning and that sucked,,also if you sell something to someone knowing they can't use it,,then that shit comes back to ya.

Yes they need to know and laern but there are better ways than getting ripped off

23. mj40's

mj40's

I sold a set of late model GM wheels to this guy knowing they would not fit his application. He insisted they would fit so off he went. I did tell him that his money was here when he brought them back. Next day he was back for a refund. He still couldn't believe they would not fit. 4sale 1998 Pontiac Grand Am wheels.

24. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've refused to sell project cars to poeple i know just because I know they'd be getting in way over their head. I'll explain that htey could buy a running car for less than it will cost to fix this one, but they'll still want it because the upfront cost is low.