Register now to get rid of these ads!

turn signal issues on a 1964 Falcon Station Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seanrace, Jul 18, 2009.

1. seanrace

seanrace

I need some assistance on this one.

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon 4-door Station Wagon and the turn signals work when the lights are off but the drivers side won't blink when the lights are on. Removed light housing and noticed that the filament on the bulb is blinking but not with enough brightness to overcome the other filament that is lit up. Changed bulbs and no difference evertyhting else seems to be working correctly. Like I said signals work when the lights are off and I am not sure where to look for this one.

Any assistance is appreciated.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Grounding problem. Clean everything from the sockets to the body, tighten all the scews holding light housings to the body, & make sure the sockets are not corrroded where crimped into reflectors.

3. Sounds like a case of bad grounding. Inspect the inside of the sockets for rust and gunk. Not sure were the ground screw on a wagon is but usually Fords of that vintage will have a ground wire attached to the socket and the ground wire will run back to a common point at an eyelet and screw into the sheetmatal somewhere. Check that point and clean any scuzz and make sure the paint is being pierced to clean metal. A serrated lock washer will help too.
    Also make sure you arent getting the bulbs in reversed. It's hard to do with the offset pins on the 1157's but it does happen.

Basic stuff to check first.

4. haha Fools seldom differ!

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

6. i had the same problem with my trailer...guess what it ended up being? yes , a bad ground

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Yavol!

8. duste01

duste01

I would say the same thing as everyone else, but I like to be not only different, but sometimes difficult as well, so I am going to say RUST. When you go looking to remedy the ground issue, you might go as far as getting new pigtails and some die-electric silicone that will not only keep the electrons flowing but keep moisture out to keep the area behind the pigtail from becoming a ground, uh I mean a rust problem that they are known for.

9. seanrace

seanrace

thanks for the assistance . .I will recheck the grounds this afternoon

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Also note that the falcan lighting all runs through the headlight switch. Likely corroded all to hell. Mine was, replaced it, fixed it. They are under $20.

11. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Those parking lites in the bumper were notorious for bad grounds, try sticking a screwdriver betweeen the bumper and the light body, see if it works....take apart and clean...if the bolts dont snap off, they'r in a bad place....good luck....

gaspumpchas

12. seanrace

seanrace

thanks for all the info guys. Found the problem to be that someone had the rear taillight out ofr some reason and ended up swapping 2 of the leads. Wiped down the leads and noticed colors not matching and all leads had the same connectors so an easy mix up. Works great now.