Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod LP Collecting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toby Denham, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 40forever

40forever

Virtually all of my LP's were from USA via Ebay, you just have to keep watching till they appear. I've been collecting for a few years now, and there are still some I'd like to get.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have one called Solid Gold and has a Altered Roadster with the nose up in the air. pretty cool.

3. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I just picked up one with Tom McMullen's roadster on it with the parachute open.

4. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Thanks for sharing. You guys have some great sets. I just listened to the slot car one about a month ago. (check out my signature...yes I still listen to records)

Here are a couple of mine. The Evel one goes with the pinball machine and my Sports Illustrated with him on the cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bart

5. Joe Grippo

Joe Grippo

Here are a few of mine....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got a few more but I don't have any pics handy....Good stuff out there!

6. Those Mr. Gasser & the Weirdos records are getting harder to come by. I'm still on the look out for those (at a price I can afford). :)

BTW, I've seen some of the other things you collect. You have a great overall "hot rod" memorabilia collection!

7. 40forever

40forever

Hot Rod LP's are getting quite pricy, and the price put on some LP's is not consistant with the quality even if they are rare.
    There's a copy of Knights Hot Rod High on ebay for $250 and it has tape around the edges and water marks, they've got to be joking.

8. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

The pride of my collection is my autographed Dick Dale LP. He was playing in Columbus and I was fortunate enough to go. Besides an awesome guitar player he is also funny and entertaining. After the show he signed autographs and talked with the people. He did NOT rush you through the line so he could get out of there. He laughed at how young he looked in the picture:

[​IMG]

The happy boy standing there is ME!

[​IMG]

Marty

9. I got the HOT ROD HOOTENANY one at a family white elephant gift exchange. My wifes cousin thought it was worthless and a joke. (I'm the only car guy in the family) I saw it and thought to myself "SWEET!!! THAT THING IS MINE!" At the end a kid got stuck with the gift and said it was garbage and gave it to me haha So I ended up with a box of See's candies and the LP

10. Just curious, thats something like that worth in good condition?

11. Well, I'll tell ya ... for what I've seen that record go for on eBay, you hit the jackpot. That baby is very desirable.

12. On one or two occasions,on eBay, I saw it go for over $200.00. I was in a bid war on eBay for one once. If my memory serves me well, it went for something like $224.00. Needless to say I lost.

13. I don't think these have been posted yet.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

15. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Which one?

Marty

16. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

How many of you have copied your LP's to CD or mp3? How do you do it? There are companies that will do it for you but I am a cheap s**t so I do it myself.

I have an mp3 player (ZEN V-Plus) that has a "line-in" plug and a recording function. I hook the headphone output from my record player (Garrard) to the line-in of the mp3 and record it. Then I down load it to my computer and copy it to a cd. I don't have a program to get the crackles and pops out of the recording so some of them are not too good. Also there may be a skip that is just barely noticeable on a record player, but on a CD or mp3 it is VERY noticeable.

What kind of record player do you have? Besides the Garrard I have a few vintage portable players. One of them is a larger (small suitcase size) that I have taken to cruise-ins, hooked it up to an inverter and played some good Hot Rod music instead of the same old 50's and 60's stuff the local dj's play.

Marty

17. 1929rats

1929rats

This is my favorite one...I believe it was the 2nd astronauts LP.

Attached Files:

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Hey guys, just thought I'd give this a bump to shamelessly plug a social group I've had going for a bit. Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll! is there if you guys want to talk about tunes when your taking a break from the busy world of hotrods.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=262

19. Kerry67

Kerry67

Great Thread !! I have a few, I just started collecting and this thread at least shows me what is out there. Where are you guys finding most of yours ?

20. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I have one with those same 2 cars but there parked. Its the Astonauts "Competition Coupe" tho. That one there is bad ass.

21. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

That represents SoCal in the 60's in my mind. It is so cool!

Bart

22. 47convt

47convt
    from Omaha, Ne.

Here's my hot rod LP collection

Attached Files:

23. DK23

DK23

The Petersen Museum's exhibition right now is a collection of hot rod LP covers. I ve been in the area this week and saw them on Sunday.

24. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

I haven't made any MP3's yet. I would rather hear the noise of an album instead of a compressed to snot file.

I have a pampered Technics Direct Drive turntable. I've been trough a few needles but I have had it 30 years.

Bart

25. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

How do you clean your records?

I have been using a lot of water and a very small amout of liquid dish washing detergent. Micro-fiber cloths do a good job of drying them.

Marty

26. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

hey do you have a bigger pic of the duece coupes album...I have one somewhere and can't find it...that picture of a 40's ford and 50's chevy really made me love customs or kustoms

27. 47convt

47convt
    from Omaha, Ne.

Lunatic---will this work........

Attached Files:

28. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

oh hell yeah..thanks [​IMG]

29. 1929rats

1929rats

"How do you clean your records?

I have been using a lot of water and a very small amout of liquid dish washing detergent. Micro-fiber cloths do a good job of drying them.

Marty "

I can almost tell you with confidence this isnt the right way of doing it, because I did it that way and was corrected...I was corrected by a serious collector when I sold a lot of don ellis LPs (everyone actually) at Looney Tunes in Boston (Up-scale used record store). The right way of cleaning an LP is with a regular cotton ball and rubbing alcohol. With the cotton ball wet with the rubbing alcohol on it, gently go along the lines of the grooves of the album, and let it air dry.

Also....when putting the disc on your turn table, you can clean the lint right off by using a velvet covered cylinder that will pull the dust off the album before you drop the needle. They use to sell these...Im sure you can find them on -line.....

good luck
    <!-- / message -->

30. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Thanks for the info!
    Marty