Register now to get rid of these ads!

What ever happend to this Gasser/Custom 55 Ford Victoria?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Saw this pics just a few minutes ago and i just started to wonder what ever happend to it!
    Is there any pics from its glory days and how it have looked over the years?

Anyone know if its alive or dead now??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Be interested to see as well.

3. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

That car is for sale at Shaker Valley auto center in Enfield NH, I was just there a few weeks ago and had my hands on the car. Heres a link to the dealer http://www.shakervalleyauto.net/index2.ivnu Ask for Bob he is the owner of the father son dealership.

4. abone1930

abone1930

Couldnt find it on the website. Any more info on the car. Cool old ride.:)

5. Thanks!

But i cant find it in there inventory list or in any pics. Maybe i will email them. Did it look the same as the pics above?

6. RAY With

RAY With

Nice and different but why the 3/4 ton rear? Can't ever recall a gasses with that rear. Different strokes?

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

What were they asking for it at Shakers???

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

MY two cents;
    Somehow thw Custom/Gasser mix on this car doesn't work. Unchopped 50's sedans make a better gasser look than (chopped) hardtops.

I'd yank the drivetrain out and place it in an A coupe,etc.

The chopped body w/ Packard tailights would get slammed, then complete the custom work.

9. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

Yes it still is the same car, and he has all the history. I just went on the site and see its not there but I know the car is there.

they even Had pictures of the car when it was a lowerd custom.

10. Ole don

Ole don

The 3/4 ton rear end was used by serious drag racers to prevent broken parts. They usually had the corrct ratio too, about a 4.86 or so. This in the late 50 time period.

11. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

I belive they wanted around 17,000 for it. Remember they are dealers so a car with full history and a Kustoms car mag cover car brings the $$$
    It was to rich for me but neat to look at.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll second that. The car would be great as a slammed custom again like it must have been before someone decided that it would be a good gasser way back when.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. That car belonged to John and Tim Carroll from Chelsea Massachusetts.John bought the car new and chopped it in 1956 or 57.It was converted to a race car some time in the early 1960's with a Hilborn injected Lincoln engine.The commercial rear axle was used(I believe)because racing rules at the time required a rear axle to have safety hubs in the event of axle breakage.If I remember correctly the roll bar is actually made from exhaust tubing.Rules then required you to have a minimum of 1/8" wall tubing and have a small hole drilled in it for inspection purposes.They got around that by welding a thick washer inside the tube.The bar was actually made up of small pieces of tubing welded together(don't ask why!).
    I remember an incident down at their shop one time.Tim and(I think)Jim Smith were water sanding the paint work on the car(it was originally gloss white with red and gold scallops)and John had the Vertex mag out of the engine.He draped a couple of the wires over the hood of the wet car and gave the mag a good spin giving the kids both a good belt of electricity.It took a couple of jolts before they figured out what was happening.
    Tim had the car in one of his many garages when he passed away awhile back and the car was sold.

14. twochops

twochops

Here's two photos , one from my photo album and the other
    a photoshop of a photo posted.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

15. Kustoms Illustrated vol.1 no.2. Has a spread on the 55 Ford. It was called the "The White Wale"
    They have a few cool pic's of when it was a full on custom and drag racer.

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

needs sectioned and slammed... looks a bit too much like ass right now

17. NoSurf

NoSurf

I wonder what kind of times it ran.

18. In the artical the Ford was a B/Gas class car. No E/T's. But it mentions that it used to run at the Sanford Dragstrip in Maine.

19. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

:confused: ....

Attached Files:

20. felee

felee

I think this is from the Drag Cars in Motion thread-it sure looks like the 55 in question. I didn't note any info as to track location

Attached Files:

21. Doesn't look like Sanford;could be either Orange MA or Charlestown RI

22. RAY With

RAY With

Thanks now this makes 2 I have seen-Must be a Northern thing,

23. I love this stuff, how cool is it that someone puts up a pic. of some obscure car looking for info and before the day is over there is history, pics. and info on where it is now and how much. This site is awesome!! Maybe I should put up a pic of my lost dog...

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

i like the kinda custom/gasser mix going on here. restore it!

25. Whats your lost Dog then?

26. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Hopefully it is dead.. History or not, I don't think it worked out for this one.

27. Larry T

Larry T

Jack Merkel
    Mallicoat Brothers Willys, California.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  28. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

That thing is sweet. It kinda looks like the molded bumpers might've been molded with Bondo thought itstead of good lead work.

29. I agree that it needs to be restored to it's ORIGINAL condition as a custom. I would leave the injected motor in it and chrome it all.

30. John Carroll was one of the best metalman that I have ever known.If there was ANY filler in that car,it would have been minimal.If there is any plastic in it now,it was done long after he built it.