Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powder Coat a Flat Head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Jul 21, 2009.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The several recent powder coating threads got me wondering: is it feasible to powder coat the cylinder heat of a flat head engine? If so it might be an option for refinishing the head on my MoPar 218 six.

2. 2Hep

2Hep

Yes it's possible.... Even doing a clear coat of a polished head to protect it. If your engine heats up and blisters the P/C then you have bigger problems then the coating coming off. I'll be tearing my flathead apart this fall and rebuilding it and powder coating it, overall better finish that won't burn off...easier to keep clean too.

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

You can, but I think it will really hold heat. I could be wrong, but it is purty thick compared to paint. I have had intakes powder coated, but not heads. I was always worried about the powder coating holding the heat.

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Gee, something to think about. I have my head off and have already painted it gloss black with chrome hex fasteners (block will be glossy brown).

Powder coating would be interesting, either glossy black or the two-part chrome (chrome with a clear top powder coat).

Hmmmm.

Shots of the head bolts I selected and also what they look like on the (before paint) head:

DSC02455.jpg DSC02459.jpg

5. RAY With

RAY With

I power coated my engine -transmission -drive shaft-rear end and frame. No over heating problems at all and real easy to keep clean. I dont think it will make a flatty over heat any more then other types of paints.

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Good to know, thanks.

7. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

Consider porcelain plating...

8. I'd be careful about too much paint on a flathead since it relies somewhat on air cooling. When aircraft engines are re painted they use a special engine paint and just a light coat.

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

On the porcelain plating: the bnest finish if done right but $$$$. ALso, if it gets wet when it is hot the porcelain can crack. My car has a two piece hood so rainwater can find its way atop the motor.

On the heat issue: I am not concerned about that as this old flathead will run all day at 180 regardless of what I throw at it.

10. How will it handle being heated to 350-400 degrees for powder coating?

11. yes and there is high heat powders available as well.

12. if it was a concern, you could get low temp/cure powders that dont require a high temperature.
    I do a lot of moto cylinders and heads also and they are usually aluminum with a steel sleeve and or valve seats.
    I use normal ral powders and low bake them, have cured many a set at 200 degrees, just bake a little longer timeframe. Because the different metals expand at different rates, I bring the temps up slowly increasing till Im to 200 degrees.

btw, I ship UPS daily.

13. I'm Tooratly

I'm Tooratly

The barrels on my stroked Indian m/c were powder-coated and I had no problems. [air cooled motor], which run hotter than a water cooled mill.

14. Now I'll buy that one because air cooled engines such as aircraft run CHTs of 300-400 degrees all day. Seems like that would be the right temperature to paint a cylinder anyway wouldn't it.

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Good question. Hopefully not a problem if the head is heated slowly and evenly. But who knows? Damn you just made Rustoleum sound a lot better.

16. ive been told if your going to paint your engine do a single thin coat and the best color to use is black because of how it reacts to the heat. if you powdercoat your looking at around 2 mils and then outgasing because of how pourous the block is. wouldnt sugest it even though the idea was in a powdercoating magazine awhile back.

17. Weasel

Weasel

Chevy LSX blocks come from GM Performance Parts factory powder coated orange.

18. I had my heads on my V12 Powder coated. You need to have the powder coating done first and than have the heads check for distortion and have them milled to make sure they are straight after coming out of the oven.

Thanks
    Frenchy