Register now to get rid of these ads!

You ever sell a car and have it come back to haunt you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Years ago I sold a chopped 56 Merc that I was forced to sell and I really didn't want to. It was going four states away so I didn't feel as if I had to see it driving around town all the time so it was ok. I really didn't want to see someone else driving it around... Well years later, out of sight out of mind I have heard thru the grapevine that my Merc has come back to Los Angeles.. I still haven't seen it and don't know if I will.. I think it might be ok now.. Although it might bum me out for a day or two..... Luck

2. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

it will kill you....
    its like seeing an ex girlfriend with a new dude :D

3. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

i had a truck i built and sold to a guy here a while back now all i get are picture messages from him of the truck doing something cool...now its a restraunt advertisement and i hear about it al the time makes me feel terrible..

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

or worse yet an ex-girlfriend with new boobs AND a new dude.:D

5. John Denich

John Denich

Or with the boobs you sold your car for and a new dude!!!!

6. rallisracing

rallisracing

In about 1969-70, my dad sold his E/Gas 60 Falcon to a guy 100+ miles away, said he would not want to see it again. Sure enough, a guy three blocks from our house bought it, and just totally ruined it. We did end up buying the injected 289 with the Vertex mag, the toploader, and some spare parts back and its now going in one of his Mustangs..40 years later...amazing how stuff just survives...I wish I knew where the Falcon is today....

7. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

I sold a World War II Stuart tank to a guy halfway across the country and I've seen it on the History Channel twice and on TLC once...it kills me everytime. It had twin Cadillac flatties that sounded wicked at full trottle.

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Years ago I built an off topic car from the ground up. Sold it to help a bit, money wise, when we bought a house. For the next few months after that, the guy trashed the car and kept bringing it back to me to "help him get it going again". Then less then a year after the sale the car was no longer around. Several years later (about 15 years) I heard about my old car being up for sale buy someone that bought it as a parts car. I just had to go check it out. Sure enough, there it was, sitting in about the same condition it was in when I had originally bought it. I though about buying it back and doing it again, I had the money then to do it, but decided to let it go. Last I heard it had been bought and was being restored. Might even have seen it since, don't know, probably looks nothing like it did when I owned it. I have discovered that once a car leaves me, it doesn't bother me to see it. I figure I helped it survive so someone else could enjoy it too. Gene

9. Crease

Crease

New boobs and with the guy that bought the car you sold to pay for em!

10. vertible59

vertible59

Sold my '41 Plymouth and later saw it at a show with the guy's brother, who didn't know me, driving it. So I'm checking it out and wishing I'd never sold it, when the dude walks up and starts telling me how he and his brother built the car. Chalked that one up to experience!

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The old man I bought my 52 from swore he would never sell his car to someone locally cause he did not want to see it get "torn up" like another one he sold. I had to persuade him that I would take good care of it, and not mess with it to much.(rrriigghhhttt):D

12. cruzr

cruzr

Many moons ago in the mid 70's i built a 29 Roadster . Sold it and went on with life. One day about 10 years later, after i had moved bought a new home, my son comes running in and says "dad ,your car is down the street". I walk down the block and sure enough ,there sitting in the neighbors garage is that Roadster,nothing was changed since the day i sold it. I gave the new owner some pics i had when i built it.

its a small world.......!!

13. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

My dad had an old 1970 Dodge D100 he sold around 1995. It was the truck he had when I was born. I remember when he sold it, he just let it go but that truck means alot to me. I figured it was long gone until just last year, we were driving around Eureka Springs and we go around a corner and there it is right there in someones yard. It was still sporting the Montana Green my dad had sprayed, black steelies and black bumpers. I almost freaked out when I saw it. I wasn't driving, Dad was and when I told him to go back, he just said it was just and old truck, nothing special about it. After I starting driving, I went back to find it and it was gone.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Poor you that is the car sellers nightmare.....your in luck though...I will sell you my 56 Merc 2 door hardtop and you could do it again.

15. Or the ex-girlfriend is now a dude and now has your old car. :eek:

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Ohh yeah, definitely.

I bought a '57 Ford Custom when I was 18 for $50. It was a very solid farm yard car and came with a good title. I first drove it with a '58 223 6 cyl. and 3-speed O/D, then swapped in a 302/C4 out of a '79 Lincoln. Drove it to college for a while that way, then bought a GT40-P 302 from Speedway Motors, threw a cam in it, headers on it, and that's the way it still is today.

Of course, I did a little body work along the way and rebuilt the front suspension.

Here's how it looked when I sold it in 2002
    [​IMG]

The new owner had big plans, but didn't do much with it. He had to sell it and it is now on it's third or fourth owner since I sold it.

Just last year, it pulled into our local cruise night and I couldn't believe it!
    Man, I wish I still had that car.
    Here's what it looks like today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcolm

17. That reminds me.... Cheaterama is August 29th at the Nite Owl Diner at 830 E. Layton in Milwaukee, WI! :D:D:D

18. I sold my old 32 Ford coupe years ago when I took it apart for the second time to rebuild it and lost interest in it.I always wondered what happened to it.I was afraid someone cut it up and ruined it.Lucky me,I found out Hotrodprimer here on the HAMB now owns it and it looks better than when I owned it.He built it about the same way I would have if I had kept it and put it back together.So, I am not haunted by it,I am happy someone who can appreciate it now has it.

19. motorhead711

motorhead711

Ya. I sold a 54 chevy about 8 years ago that was all set up for drag racing. Had the rear frame back-halved with coil over shocks and morrison ladder bars, narrowed nine inch, 76 pinto front rack and pinion steering with 9 1/2 inch disc brakes, power brake booster, full alston 12 point cage, most of the aluminum done on the inside, all body work complete, lexan side windows. All I needed was money to finish it, and the money wasn't there. Also at the same time, my 59 impala was down so I came to a crossroad where I had to make a decision. Keep the 54 and not drive the impala, or sell the 54 and get the impy running for the summer. So I sold it to a guy from Oregon for 1700 bucks!!! Had about 1000 hours or more into the car and the parts that came with it were well over 1700 bucks, but it had to go. 3 years ago my brother and I went to the sand drags in Primm Nevada. And there was this 54 chevy with a big block and huge ass paddle tires tearing up the sand. I thought to myself, "that's pretty bitchin, kinda looks like my old car." After going over and looking at it, sure as shit it was it!!! I had a pretty empty feeling, but at least the guy did something with it that I couldn't do...HE FINISHED IT!!

20. DMFB

DMFB

Or worse yet....the boobs you sold your car for in the car you sold for the boobs with a new dude. Thats worthy of manslaughter.

21. Spity

Spity

Kinda similar but not exactly the same but...
    We bought a Nova from a very nice couple and swore we would take care of it. They actually made us promise it. They even cried when we drove away. It wasnt in the driveway for more than a couple hours and we had in sawzalled and dead.

We also bought another Nova wagon from another family that it was the car they went to the hospital to and from in when they had their babies. Well pops decided to restore it and got in over his head and they decided to sell it. Again we promised and they cried to see it go. We got it and guess what we killed it.

If you really give a shit about your car then dont sell it, if you sell it to someone you know will take care of it they will sell it to someone that wont - it just how it happens.
    If the trees could talk!

Attached Files:

22. kenseth17

kenseth17

But sometimes your just happy that someone else has the problem.

23. My first drivable car was a '57 Chevy 4dr, wagon, almost a perfect car, only flaw was the faded paint, eventually I sold it to a guy across town, and forgot about it.... then he moved into an apt. around the corner, and I was forced to watch this pristine car be destroyed.. the guy was a drunk and was always running into stuff and never fixing the car.. except he did replace one of the rear doors... with one from a '56 yeah it almost fit, broke my heart. this was like seeing your old girlfriend with a new guy, that beats her up, treats her like crap, and she worships him...
    from then on I didn't sell cars, I let them rot in the back yard... that didn't work out so well either

24. 461/2ton

461/2ton

Back in '77 I sold a '67 Barracuda with 273, headers, bad paint job to some gypsies for $40. I told all of them that the clutch was slipping so take care until they replace it.

That weekend was a holiday and I was gone. The gas station across from my house told me there were bands of gypsies knocking on my door all weekend.

Reports started filtering in from friends that they saw the car with strangers in it hot rodding all around town. It ended up parked dead 3 blocks away.

25. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I sold a harley to a guy that shipped it to Japan.I did not get an address nor did I fill out the correct DMV paperwork to release my liability.I got a letter stating the registration was do a few months after the sale, I of course tossed it in the trash.Well I got a few more and finally got one saying they were going to garnish my wages to pay the fines.I called and explained the problem but I was told there is nothing to do but fill out the release. I did not have any of the guys info so I went on line and googled...pen pals in Japan.I picked one and used the name and address on the DMV paperwork, I figure they aren't going to send infoto a guy in Japan......I hope.So the moral is..Fill out the right DMV paperwork and keep a copy for your records.

26. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Built a 29 roadster a few years ago--told myself it was gonna be a "build and sell" deal. The car turned out better than expected--but had to sell it ,cause buying a new house.Had it running for maybe a month,take it to Back to the Beach show,first guy sees it--buys it!
    Fast forward a couple years--guy's kid beats the hell out of the car--rumors are he's wrecked it twice--then I get a call the other night---the car's on "Speeders" on Tru channel--sure enuff,kid's arrested for burn-out / no licence / etc--ends up going to jail--car's on a roll-back.
    So------my old car's "famous" now!

27. Muttley

Muttley

I sold my Marina Blue '67 Malibu Hardtop to a guy about a hundred miles away from Fresno (the only car I've ever owned that I regret selling)................the new owner painted it orange W/silver SS stripes. :( :( I gave him a fake email address when he called me to let me know it had been painted............I couldnt stand to look at the pictures.

28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've seen alot of my old cars around. Even the non-hot rods seem if find their way cruising by me on the interstate, or I spot them in a parking lot. Usually 3 of the old customs show up at the local bi-weekly rod gathering and I get a little teary-eyed. Atleast 2 of them are in good hands, the other...well, it took a wrong turn and it makes me sad.

29. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Orrrrr..... Some dude with BIGGER boobs than your ex-girlfriend with another dude bragging how much they spent on the new teal with pink scallops paint job.

30. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Sometimes it goes well. My Dad sold a 41 Nash that was the 1st rod he built back in the late 70's/early 80's. He built it all at home including the paint. Fast forward 25 years later, and it's on it's 3rd owner since my Dad sold it. The only changes are the wheels , pinstripe flames, and a Mustang II sub. The guy who has it now took it in on trade about 5 years ago. He was just going to flip it, but found out how solid of a car it is, and how well it rides, and has kept it. Every year we see him at Iola, and he strokes Dad about how well he built it, and how nice the paint and every thing still is.