Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insurance Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michiganman061, Jul 21, 2009.

1. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

For years, I had my old car or two insured with State Farm under their 'antique' policy. Recently, local agents has changed and they don't seem to be to excited to write another antique policy. So, I've been shopping around. Does anyone have experience with Hagerty? Good? Not? I was used to State Farm antique insurance which had no storage or parking restrictions.

Also, I asked the hagerty representive this, but did not get a satafactory answer. Is hagerty only suplementary insurance since they ask for a copy of your regular auto insurance policy, and will not insure for libility limits higher then your regular policy? i.e. if there was a claim on libility if something happened god forbid, would they charge or defer the claim to my regular auto policy libility?

Thanks. This is all complicated to me.

2. Dads-53

Dads-53

Check out Chrome.
    Don

3. Weasel

Weasel

G-R-U-N-D-Y - just about everyone who uses them rates them highly and Becky from Grundy is here on the HAMB.

Hagerty sucks and so does State Farm - mileage limitations etc. and higher premiums. I have used both and switched to Grundy years ago - could not be happier. Do yourself a favor and check 'em out - www.grundy.com

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have had State Farm for the last almost 40 years on all my cars late and early, but have noticed a change in attitude in the last few years. They won't insure projects, and they are getting fussy about mileage and type of driving. (I have 4 projects of my own worth couple hundred thou unfinished) so I am looking at Grundy. (a HAMB supporter) I think they are possibly a little more user friendly.

5. RAY With

RAY With

I use J.C.Taylor for 25 years and had no problems at all. The wife got ass ended on a fresh restoration and was a hit and run. I called and reported the accident and was told not to worry and to get it fixed and send them the bill with case number from local PD. They ask no questions and my repair bill was $4,700 and change. Sent it in and a week later had the check in hand. I didn't have to fool with getting several estimates and there attitude was this is what you have insurance for. Great company.

6. In Michigan here as well and had Hagerty on my '52 Buick and when I completely the bucket I shopped around, read thread after thread on here and went with Grundy.

Without going into tons of tedious details, I found Grundy to be the better choice over Hagerty and after having both I still agree that Grundy is the better of the 2.

7. NuzzyFipples

NuzzyFipples

GREAT QUESTION!!!!

And, good info for me too!

Exactly why I love the HAMB. :cool:

:D

8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Maybe you just need to talk to another agent at state farm. Ive had them for 18 years and have old cars almost the entire time, even when my 54 was totaled they were really nice about it and paid what I had it insured for.

9. troylee

troylee

Grundy also or check with Hagerty. www.hagerty.com Go grundy My first choice.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If you have a good driving record find another agent. I had a good State Farm agent. He retired. I changed and got a ass. Didn't understand restoring cars. Didn't want to listen or learn about hot rods. Would just give me a blank stare. Changed and the new woman agent now is fine. She insures a lot of hot rods up here.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I also will place a vote in Grundy's direction www.grundy.com
    I changed from Hagerty to Grundy about 8-9 years ago only because of the cost.

BUT with that being said, you asked about Hagerty and I will give you my option. Hagerty is great as well, just alittle more expensive for the exact same coverage as Grundy. I have a total loss experience with Hagerty. They paid off in full the extact agreed value for my '47 Chevy convertible after I lost it in a shop fire. 28 days after the fire I had a check in my hand for the full amount, no deductable. They stated to me the only reason it took 28 days was they had to wait for a copy of the fire marshal's report. I was extremly happy with their customer service. They made a very difficult situation easiler to swallow.

You had a specific question regarding the policy, the only reason they ask for the declaration page for your daily driver policy (and both Grundy and Hagerty do ask) is to make sure you have a vechicle for daily use, no other reason. If in fact you get in an accident and have Hagerty or Grundy it is their policy that will pay you for the damages.

As far as the liabilty coverage goes I believe I have 100,000/300,000 coverage all all my car policies. I don't know why I would want one higher on Big Olds then my daily driver or vise versa.

Hope this helps.

12. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

It's not supplemental, it IS the insurance on your ride.

I've got Allstate. I recently went with Hagerty on my F100. So it came off my Allstate policy and Hagerty is covering it. I went through Allstate and let my agent set it up. It's an agreed upon value - I basically told them what it would cost to replace it. Also, it's not "finished" it's still in restoration, but I'm driving it. They wanted detailed pics of all sides and the bed. I can't tow or haul anything and it has to be in a locked garage. I heard stories about you can't drive it to work, but I asked and they said wherever, just as long as it's less than 3,000 miles a year.

I didn't know about Grundy until I did a search on another forum, but I had already started the process with getting a quote from Hagerty. Hagerty was suggested to me by Allstate, and I just paid it. So I guess next year when it comes up to renew, I'll check into Grundy as well.

13. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

I work for Allstate and we work with Hagerty for some of our antique auto policies and I haven't heard any complaints. We even get referrals from people already insured with Hagerty. I haven't used them yet but I plan to. I hate to sound like I'm giving a sales pitch but Allstate is what I know well.... Allstate also has a special auto program where you can choose what you want the replacement cost to be set at. Other companies may have that too, you'll just have to ask. That's what there is in the Philadelphia area, but programs and companies change from city to city so I do not know the Mich. programs. Good Luck

14. boldventure

boldventure

Here is a link from the NADA website. It gives pretty good plain English explanations of the terms and definitions you need to make and informed selection.
    http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-22-9-5102-0-0-0&l=1&w=22&p=9&f=5102&a=19&as=170
    Most "collector insurance" providers give free online quotes; it pays to shop if premium cost is an objective. ("collector car insurance" in a search engine will give you MANY choices)
    Generally speaking, if you don't use the car as a real "daily" and meet a few other requirements the term to keep in mind is "Agreed Value" coverage anything else can be depreciated.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  15. ken1939

ken1939

State farm had issues with my 39. They didnt want to insure it for alot. My next two cars that will be older will be either Grundy, Sneed Robsinson and Gerber or some other collecter deal.

16. Great thread ... I had this on my mind for a while, too.

17. I switched from State Farm to the Auto Club several years ago, saved a lot of green. Nobody else matches the deal they have.

18. Allstate works with Hagerty in Mich - at least my Agent does. When I had Hagerty it was through Allstate.

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Whoever you guys are with make sure it's an AGREED VALUE policy not STATE VALUE.

In a nutshell, an AGREED VALUE policy is for classic cars and such. The insurance company and you have agreed on the value of the car ahead of time and this is what your premiums are based on and the amount you will receive if there is a total loss.

STATED VALUE is the type of policy your daily driver is. Basicly the insurance company will state to you at the time of loss what the car is worth and will pay you accordingly.

Know your own policy

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I always have insured my old cars on my regular insurance policy as I drive them. No mileage restrictions or garaging restrictions or other such nonsense for me. They are just cars. Go to the grocery store, the mall, the movies, the ball game, the park and all around. Never had a problem with vandals or thieves. And I've been living in Houston area since the early 70s. Never had a problem getting one insured, never had anything but liability insurance on them.

21. boldventure

boldventure

Many people feel the same as you do. You are very lucky to never have had any insurance issues with your cars.
    I have met many people who have had an insurance claim on their old car/hot-rod and they are always angry. Usually the settlement offered is the lowest value the adjuster can find. The insurance compay often want to call the deal a total loss and issue a salvage title.
    In an "up-side down" situation like this the best outcome will take a long time and none of the parties will be happy.
    Agreed Value covergae takes replacement value into account and it usually costs less.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  22. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Does Grundy cover Pleasure Driving? I would look at that contract I know Hagerty does.

BTW, Hagerty does not have a mileage limitation

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Grundy does not have a mileage restriction either.

24. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

My Allstate agent told me 3,000 miles a year. I just got my "welcome packet" in the mail with all the details of the policy, but haven't had a chance to read it all yet. I'll look at in detail this weekend.

I got Hagerty on my '66 because I didn't want a repeat of what had happened to my old truck.

I had a '65 F100. Some girl was "waved" out in traffic and I t-boned her. I literally had ZERO time to stop or react, she was just there in an instant. It busted the ol truck up pretty bad, pushed the cab back, bent the frame. Insurance tried to give me $500 blue book value. A lawyer with proof of receipts, Auto Trader ads showing what it would take to replace and a lawsuit and I finally got a decent settlement out of them.

I didn't want to have to do that again. I wanted it agreed up front what it would take to replace this truck and I've got WAY more money in this one than my old one.

25. boldventure

boldventure

As I understand it Allstate is Single Line store, who did they hook you up with?
    Are you premiums less than your regular insurance?

26. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Denise... I know Weasel made it sound like Hagerty did...

However, Do Grundy Cover Pleasure driving?

27. WrenchKitten

WrenchKitten

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

It's about the same, maybe a shade more than regular liability with Allstate. It cost me $186 a year, paid up front. It was like $176+$10 for the Hagerty Member plus club or something which includes some froo-froo stuff like Roadside assistance for the first 50 miles, some monthly magazine they put out and some other stuff.

I had just gotten back from the Smokey Mtn F100 show. While up there I saw a truck pretty much JUST like mine, same color and everything and he was trying to sell it for $12,500.

I feel funny saying how much they agreed to, but it's a little bit more than the $12,500 I saw that truck for sale for. I didn't have to have it appraised or anything. They wanted straight on shots of both sides, front, rear and the bed. I said, I think it would take this amount to replace it if something happened to it. They said, ok, it's gonna cost this much a year. And that was it.

Oh and I also told them it was still in restoration, but the major stuff was done. I gotta get the trim back on the sides and get the interior done.

I'll get my packet out tonight and read all the details.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yes, Grundy covers all kinds of driving including what is referred to as pleasure.

29. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

aww good to know... someone told me they did not cover that.

30. skullhat

skullhat

im in cal, so some things may be a bit different.

ive been dealing with various insur co's for the last 35 years in the collision business. i find that all of the agreed value policies that ive had to deal with were very good, and i cant really complain about any of the co's as far as paying a fair amount for a loss. (not same for traditional insur co's)

as for the need to see your regular policy, that is because most of the co's that offer agreed value poicies wont do so unless you have a regular driver with full coverage.....this way they know its not your daily driver.

i find the agreed value policies to be less expensive than traditional insurance, and with better service. it is therefore my opinion you are better off getting this type of coverage over just nominating your hot rod to a regular policy

skull