Register now to get rid of these ads!

18 gauge sheet metal: what power tool to cut it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tathataboy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Can't use any welders/plasma cutters/etc.

Hand held non-powered tin snips seem like a death wish, carpal tunnel style.

SO: what do you recommend as a power tool to cut 18 ga sheet metal? I'll be making floor pans and the trunk pan for a 1956 Plymouth (along with a few other needs).

I've seen power snips, am contemplating them...but wanted y'all's opinion first.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  2. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have a set of power trimmers that were cheap and go through 18-ga sheet like butter. (Hard butter, but butter.) I bought them at the el cheapo discount tool store for something like $30. They are the same ones sold at most stores that handle power tools. They leave a sharp edge on the metal, though, so be careful and wear heavy gloves!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

cut off wheel and a grinder

4. ocfab

ocfab

5. Killer

Killer

metal cutting blade in a circular saw.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Electric or air shears and a nice set of wiss snips

7. squirrel

squirrel

I'd try to find some 20 gage metal

(damn I'm lazy)

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I use a electric Up and down style shear.. on 18 , it works well.. and cheap.. if it breaks.. its cheap enough to buy another for the amount Ill use it..

9. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Sweet. I was looking at those electric sheers at Harbor on Saturday, but wasn't sure how sturdy they were. Got the angle grinder already (for the old rusty crap in the car); looks like the sheers are a winner!

Thanks!!!

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

a lot of good recommendations. I use just about all of them at different times.

11. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

I have seen this demo on TV a dozen times and I am impressed with this tool. If I was still doing a lot of projects I would buy one in an instant. I don't know if its professional quality but for the home shop it does a lot of different cutting.
    See it here https://www.dualsaw.com/

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

I want one now.

13. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

^^ I saw that on TV where the owner cut a car in half... it was cool!

Does anyone own one of these?

14. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I use 'innox' discs on an angle grinder for cutting mild ,sheet or stock.These are the thin discs designed for cutting stainless.
    They cost a bit more and don't last as long, but cut faster and more accurately.

15. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

I don't own one but I would be seriously concerned about blade replacement. I'll bet they are propritary and only one place to get them. How long will the gear box last, are the gears plastic? are they cast zinc? AsI said earlier perhaps not professional grade but if you just use it occasionally in a home shop maybe it will last. It is a great idea and maybe one of the "Real" tool makers will jump on the idea.

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Milwaukee electric metal cutting shears around 200.00 but worth every penny even does 14 guage Heres the cheapest way Jig saw and clamp material use fine tooth blades.

17. luis.garza

luis.garza

Holy crap!!! Awesome cutting, but like another HAMBer asked, is it industrial quality, or is the gearbox a cheap piece of plastic that'll get ruined after heavy use? As it is, I want one for small projects, seeing as I don't do much cutting/fabricating anyway :D

18. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

grinder and 41/2 inch dewalt cut off wheel
    works good wear eye protection

19. I second that! by brand name blades and they work great.

20. I use a Makita elecrtic nibbler,,they are not cheap but do they save a lotta time and cut clean! HRP

[​IMG]

21. willymakeit

willymakeit

Killer beat me to it. You can cut up to 1/4'' with this blade . Sold at Lowes ect.

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I use a saber saw with a metal cutting blade.. works great!

23. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Thats just like the one I use.. except mine is a 69.99 cheaper version.. and it works well for the money.. Makitas make a good tool though.. well worth the money if your going to use one lots..

24. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

There are many good ways, nibblers, saw , etc. Most everybody has a sabre saw. Use fine brand-name blades, and cut with a piece of wood underneath. !/4 " wood is enough. That will cut down on the burrs and distortion..........

25. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

26. the nibblers save time and bandaids!:rolleyes: 4.5" grinder w/cuttoff disc is hard to beat when your on a budget. :D

27. 19-c

19-c

Beverly Throatless Shear B-1 Get one you wont regret it!

28. bct

bct

i use a cut off but i'd like to try shears with 4x8x1"styrofoam underneath....should have good controll for larger pieces...let us know how you make out....

29. atomickustom

atomickustom

Shears are way easier to use than a saber saw or jigsaw with sheets, because saws tend to grab the metal and vibrate it up and down really fast. It's fun to listen to, but a pain in the butt to deal with.
    And any kind of circular saw is a bad idea because you can really only make perfectly straight cuts and they leave a seriously dangerous edge on teh metal.
    Nibblers leave sharp little pieces of metal all over the floor that WILL get caught in your shoe and WILL cut the linoleum in your kitchen.
    Stick with the Harbor Freight shears for starters. You can always get other tools later. (With 18ga it's a good idea to have someone help you - they can pull the tab of metal up and away while you cut which makes it much easier and faster.)

30. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That photo is a Mikita unishear, don't want to confuse anybody...