Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build a Swamp cooler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrankBoss, Jul 18, 2009.

1. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

has anyone built a Thermador/Window Swamp cooler for their ride?

I've never seen the insides of one so I was curious how difficult it would be?

Frank

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

I thought about the same thing. It's hot right now!

anything that will hold ice, and take air from outside, cause it to flow over the evaporating ice, and then into your car should work. it should probably have a drain so that you can drain the water. hillbilly style.
    Shane

Try holding your head over a glass of ice water and blow into it. The air that blows back onto your face feels like a/c. This is what my kids get in the ford. helps take the edge off when they first get in and it's really hot.

3. Ice man

Ice man

Actually we installed many SWAMP COOLERS in Pgh, Pa. in commercial kitchens. If you move air and add water to it, you lower the air temp by about 12 degs. Thats much cheaper that doing it with refrigeration, cause the ventilation system moves the air right back out through the Kitchen Hood exhaust system. And you don't need ice, or any mechanical cooling exceptfor the fan and some water. We did most of the major restaurants with this system, with great sucess. The advatage of mechanical cooling is the removal of humidity, but compressors don't run for free. Swamp coolers are much more effective in the west because of the lack of humidity. My 3 cents, Ice man