Register now to get rid of these ads!

fired up the 223

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stumpjumper, Jul 18, 2009.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

After two years of being down (cracked head going up the grade by paso), I fired up the rebuilt 223 in my 62 f100 longbed stepside. engine is completely rebuilt and runs great now. i have an edmunds dual carb intake going on it when I get the headers. the edmunds is water heated instead of using the heat riser like the stock one and the fenton, so I want to switch to headers at the same time. still need to lower it too. had a gas leak at the glass bowl on the carb that is fixed. nice to finally get it back on the road. There's a photo of the engine when i got it. I got rid of the Mader rear view mirrors.
    Shane

Attached Files:

2. retromotors

retromotors

Looks great man, I like your color choice.
    Keep them inliners rollin!:D

3. retromotors

retromotors

Damn, the more I look at it the more I like it!

What color is that, and where'd ja get it? (If you don't mind sayin'.)

BTW ... good choice on keeping the stock air cleaner. I've seen a lot of nicely detailed engines ruined (IMHO) by having one of those little bitty shitpot chrome units on it.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

I'm a sucker for copper and wanted a copper color but the rattle can choices were limited. I finally found some rustoleum American Accents craft & hobby enamel. The color is "Burnished Copper Metal" number 209675. It comes in tiny little 3 oz. cans and I probably bought 12 of them to do this engine. I put a base coat of chevy orange engine paint to try and help it pop, but it didn't really work. I just had to use more copper to hide the orange. I got the copper paint at OSH. they had hundreds of different rattle cans that weren't locked up that kids could take, but they had these little cans locked up. drove me nuts since i kept buying all that they had and went back several times.

5. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

looking good! dose the dual carbs really wake the 223 up?
    is it a stock rebuild?

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

man that mill is beauty nice work , i dig those lil step side trucks when i was a kid my first real cool truck ride was in a 65 stepside my cousin had, he put a just rebuilt 300 6 in he got from a guy for $50 who swapped it out for a 302 real kick for a kid an started me on the road to collecting rusty stuff

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper

I don't know yet how it'll run with the dual carbs. i need to get one more carb, linkage, and headers before switching over from the stock set up. I just wanted to get it on the road.

It's basically a stock rebuild. 0.040 over pistons, stock cam. machine work was done at Hap's in Paso Robles.