Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Custom fit fan shroud.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Cool, nice work. Seeing that gives me ideas for all sorts of uses.

Thanks

2. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I forgot to say thank you for posting this! I wouldn't have ever thought to make my own. Now I wonder what other stuff I can make with it... :D

3. belair

belair

I just like the polka-dots.
    Great tip.

4. dv8

dv8

Nice job Mike!

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

You are now a certifide master fabricator Mike. Excellant work. See ya later....

6. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great Tech! And at a perfect time for me. I have been looking for a fan shroud for my 68 Galaxie for quite awhile. Missed out on one I was bidding on eBay because I was away from a computer when the auction ended.

I've got a couple of days off in 2 weeks...I know what I'm doing now!

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

way cool, my galaxie needs one!

8. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

looks great !!!!!! sweet idea too !!! but i don;t think the poka dot theme is a not gonna work for ya....lol.......your a mad fabricator !!!

9. GREAT post!!! I was just brainstorming on how to either put electric fans on my Plymouth or to fabricate a fan shroud!!! I LOVE driving the car, except for when we're forced to idle for a long time...

THANKS again!!!

10. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Wow thats pretty f-n cool.thanks for posting now i know what to try next time i need a shroud.

11. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

some things are so obvious that i just dont think of it. and then when i see it done, its like why didnt i think of that? maybe i just like to make things more difficult then they have to be! this is one of those too obvious things that i didnt think of.

12. Big Tony

Big Tony

Nice job...good tech thread

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I don't know much about fiberglass.

Will there be any issues with melting or any other effects from the engine heat?

14. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

This is very cool, i gotta go make me one now since i f'ed my other one up when my jack broke..

15. slepe67

slepe67

me too, they're simply FABULOUS!

Jokes aside, good Tech! I'll have to save this to my desktop Tech-O-Matic!

16. bct

bct

nice work..

17. Idano, but factory fan shrouds are plastic, and the radiator should get much hotter than the coolant in it, unless I'm overlooking some obvious physics law, or the trans fluid makes it hotter.:confused:

I guess I'll find out today.

Got a couple skim coats of filler, a coat of sealer and "if you don't want 'em to notice, paint it black" paint.
    [​IMG]
    Left is the front, these are the spacers and the mounting angle on the side of the radiator, 1/4"x3" bolts go through the flange, then the spacer, then the angle and thread into t-nuts
    [​IMG]
    Here is the bottom, all snugged up... the flange on the radiator does not go all the way to the bottm, so the bottom of the bottom of the shrough will just be bolted to the angle.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the top bolted on, you can see the sandwich of parts...I slit some vacuum hose and put it on the edge where it buts up against the top and bottom tanks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  18. maniac

maniac

Cutting it in half to get it in.................:DBRILLIANT ! ! !

GREAT JOB ! ! ! ! !

19. Simple process, thats what I like. And cutting in half........nice idea. Thanks for taking the time to post this. I can see myself using this in the near future.

20. Kinda knew roughly how to do this before, but it is good to see other peoples tips. Will be making one soon.

21. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Kool and simple idea.Thanks

22. luis.garza

luis.garza

I started using a site called auctionsniper.com a few months ago - I rarely lose auctions now. Best of all, you can try it out for free and cancel if you don't like it with no penalties.

23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, That looks like a very simple way to make a fan shroud ! Need to keep it in mind for my "A" Coupe. Maybe it would be a good way to hide the electric fan ? Good work anyways.

41 Dave

24. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I'm going to start to try to do this tomorrow. My truck needs a fan shroud bad. I was stuck in traffic a few days ago and I just sat there and watched the temperature needle rise and rise. I got out of there and stopped as soon as I could.

25. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I made mine this way, but it looks like crap. I thinks because it was my first time using fiberglass and I got in a bit of a hurry. Mine has some overlaps and and quite a few airbubbles. I didn't paint it either. Didn't use filler either. Just Took a T-shirt and stretched it over the form and laid the resin to it. It definately don't look award winning. It works though. Function over form.

26. MXmaniac

MXmaniac
    from Denton, TX

I'm trying it now too. So far so good! I used the fabric, and then one layer of fiberglass mat. I just need to let it cure, trim it, and finish it with some body filler and paint. Here's some pics, I'll post more when its done.

And thanks haroldd1963 for the great idea. My dad keeps telling me I need to put a shroud on that truck because he doesn't wanna have to start calling me "niner". I had seen this fiberglass trick done for car audio crap but I can't believe a fan shroud never crossed my mind! Let alone the idea to cut the shroud in half. Thanks for making me feel so stupid. :eek:

Attached Files:

27. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have been thinking on and off for years how to fabricate a panel to fill in the area from the top of the grille to the top of the radiator support. I think I just figured out the quickest, easiest, cheapest way to do it!!
    (And I saw it done on Rides, too, but didn't think until just now about making bigger panels that way!)

28. usmile4

usmile4

I finally started mine today. I got all the measurements and test fit some foam core panels to make sure I had the right sizes. Then cut the plywood and attached fleece fabric. I just did the first coat of resin.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the clearances for the stock 49 Chevy radiator and fan on my 235 don't give me much depth on the shroud. I used 1/2" plywood and only had to put a piece of the same plywood in between the radiator piece and the circle piece.

4T64rd did you use anything to secure the cut or did you just attach it to the the angle on the edge of the radiator support?

29. I don't plan on using anything, if it doesn't work, I have a plan to pop rivet a small pieces of aluminum, one on either side so they slide past each other, like those little tabs on a dining room table leaf, or slot car track.... I'll find out tomorrow... It started to rain just as I was about to do the final install this morning. I'll have more pics too.

UPDATE: I didn't need to put the tabs on it, it was hefty enough to not get sucked in on mine

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  30. usmile4

usmile4

I want to make sure I got this right from your post and pics. You left about 1 1/2" of the plywood on the edge with the cut. Did you leave any of the top/bottom or is it all cut out?

How did you attach the angle to the radiator support? and the shroud to the angle?

thanks for starting this and making me get my arse in gear.