Register now to get rid of these ads!

roller bearings on 53chevy spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junk Junky, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Junk Junky

Junk Junky
    from missouri

I've read that radial tires are killers of ball bearings.What roller bearings has anyone used with 53 sindles & hubs?

2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i have not done it my self but a friend says just use early sixties drums complete with the bearings he did it on his 55

3. Dan1955

Dan1955

I think you can run 58 thru 68 big car hubs and bearings. On tri 5s. Not sure about the 53-54 cars.

4. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

PM hawgrod at Shop #10.He should have the bearing numbers.He did a bearing conversion for me.He had to make a race to make it work.The bearings were in the $100.00+ range plus making a race.

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That's a new one to me. I have quite a lot of experience with them and never had a bearing fail that I repacked. It's my opinion that if you repack them about every ten thousand miles and set them up right, not too tight/not too loose they work good and last a long time.

6. Listen to Nash man and don't use wheels with heavy offsets.

7. My 55 Chev Truck ran with large radials and a big offset for over 20 years without any problem. Although I wouldn't run the same offset today, it didn't cause me any problems even when carrying an 8ft camper. The load on the front end also included the extra weight of a 396.
    Bob