Register now to get rid of these ads!

Perch Boss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35mastr, Jul 15, 2009.

1. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I am looking to buy an axle for my build.

Other than size. Whats the difference between 2" and 2 1/4" Bosses.

Is one better than the other when sourcing parts?

I know that the 2" will accept 36 bones but other than that I dont know of any differences.

Also I am on the fence on the axle.

Whats a better axle?

Superbell from P&J or the new one that SO Cal is now offering.

Thanks in advance.

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

2 inch axles are more sought after,,32-36 bones and axles are 2 inch,,thing the 2 inches have better steering clearance

3. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

With the 2" axle, you can add a spacer if you can't find '32 wishbones.
    But I would buy the 2 1/4" because they are more popular and parts are easy to get.

I was cleaning a fish at work and the boss asked me what kind it was....
    I told him, "It's a perch, Boss"
    No?

4. doctorZ

doctorZ

duh-dun chhhhsshhh!

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Most after market axles through sources like mr roadster or posies, are 2 1/4 perch bosses. Because most aftermarket bat wings are are made for 2 1/4. if you already have a 2 inch style axle they make a spacer if needed for the difference. On another note I ordered a 46 inch wide axle for my 28 chevy. And with fenders on it, and a 15 inch by 5 inch rim with a 3 inch back space. the tires were too far in and I had to put 2 inch spacers on both sides to move the tires out. With out fenders, it would not have been a problem. I mention this cause a 48 inch wide axle might be best for you...John Oh I like posies

6. The SoCal axle is a pretty thing. If it is not to far for you check it out at SoCal Sacramento and then tool by Sacramento Vintage Ford and check out the other options.

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Because of the demand I just sent out my first SO-CAL Forged axle milled to a 2-inch perch boss to a nice guy in MA. for his '32. Another is headed to Washington for another stock Deuce. Just about anything is doable these days from various sources like Eric at Riley Automotive. The hard part is finding someone that knows the difference and you made the first good step by arming your self with the proper information gleaned here on the HAMB. I've had companies tell me "you can't do that" because they didn't sell the right part to do what I wanted. Don't settle for that answer- remember there are no rules in hot rodding- it all can be done depending on who you talk to. Good luck! Jim

8. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

So were the tires rubbing on the inside?

9. roundvalley

roundvalley

Buy the 2 1/4" and you can put '32 to '36 bones on it easy if you want. Take 1/16" off each contact surface and that will equal 1/4". They then slip on nicely.

10. doctorZ

doctorZ

And So-Cal Sacramento is an Alliance Vendor, so you get 10% off retail. Give 'em a call (877) 467-3871; ask for Rob.
    -drZ

11. Dan1955

Dan1955

I bought my axle and all other front end components from Riley Automotive,VAPHEAD on the HAMB. Give him a call. He can answer all your questions about front end parts. Oh yeah I bought the CE axle.

12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Now for the night crews input.

13. Most aftermarket axles I've run into are 2".
    They ususally come with four 1/8" spacers to allow use of the commonly available aftermarket batwngs etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super Bell axles on both cars.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  14. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

15. Mixed emotions on the mono-spring.

Done to gain some travel - worked well there.

It has sagged and could possibly be improved with the addition of some short leafs in place of the mono spacers.

Mistake made was in not notching the frame for spring travel when I built the car.