Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InMyBlood, Jul 14, 2009.

1. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

To all Flathead V8 owners: I am looking to drop a Flathead into my RPU build. I have looked all over and none of the local book stores have any Flathead build books other than picture books that look like they were made for a fouth grader. I don't trust those self-proclamed "Flathead Guru's" all over the web. I trust you guys and gals here and so I ask: can you guys post what combinations you are running in your Flathead and what kind of horsepower you are making. I am looking to make the RPU a daily driver so what I want to have is a strong, reliable motor that I can use pump gas in. I would love to hear your answers. Thanks to all.

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

if you dont trust internet gurus, why ask here???

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Plenty of internet Gurus on this board. You sure they can be trusted seeing as how all you've got to go by is what they will print out and send you?

Frank

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ROFL

that... is funny

that said, there are plenty of great books about building a flatmotor... but for as many books there are, there are differing opinions about HOW they should be built. do some reading, to flat ernie you should listen

shit, i sound like yoda

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

try amazon.com

or motorbooks.com

[​IMG]

also get Ron Holleran's book:

http://flatheadv8.org/holleran1.htm

and Tex Smith's flathead book;

[​IMG]

and do a search for HAMBer Bruce Lancaster and go and read every one of his posts.

6. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

13,569 posts will keep you busy for a while:eek::D

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Search here and other flathead sites. You will find better information than what is printed. You will have to sort through the information and decide what is B.S. and what is good information. Just like in real life. ;)

Neal

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I think you are under estimating the 'guru's'. I started building a caddy flathead, and there is very little info out there. The Ford flathead guys were very helpful, and knowledgable! Some was b.s., and some things I didn't want to do. But the knowledge is here, and so is the help.

I think you will be surprised, if you read the threads, ask questions, and are respectful.

9. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

Now that really helped a lot. Thank you.

10. I have a few books:
    1) How To Build A Flathead Ford V-8.
    http://www.amazon.com/Build-Flathead-Ford-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760314934

It's not really a how-to, but it does take you through three differen builds (street, blown, and ardun), with details about parts chosen, assembly, build cost breakdown, and information on how the build did on the dyno afterwards. Excellent pictures. I found the book pretty informative - not as a how to do it, but in terms of parts choices, etc.

2) Flathead Tuning Manual.
    http://www.amazon.com/Flathead-Tuni...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247587475&sr=1-1

This is more of a picture book, not recommended.

3) Ford Flathead v-8 Builders Handbook
    http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Flathead...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247588448&sr=8-1

I thought this book was pretty good. It has some step by step, good pictures, some good detail. It might still be leaning a little toward the novice side, which is where I sit.

4) Rebuilding the Famous Ford Flathead
    http://www.amazon.com/Rebuilding-Famous-Ford-Flathead-Insights/dp/0830620664/ref=pd_sim_b_1

This book is pretty much an entire step-by-step guide to disassembly, inspection, machining, re-assembly, break-in, troubleshooting etc.

11. InMyBlood

InMyBlood

Yeah that's why I joined the HAMB, so I can skip over the b.s. step seeing as though I'm gonna have to work overtime to come up with the parts for the motor the first time through much less relying on trial-and-error methods.

12. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

:D Awesome.

If you go to Amazon, you can actually search through the various books and read a few pages of each to see what approach of writing or presentation you like. I purchased a few "rebuild your flathead" books.

I'm still a flathead newbie in my build, but I went with a late 49-53 version.

Also check out vanpeltsales.com for some good flatty info.

I have the Bishop Tardel book noted also.

Read a lot, and then read some more.

Pete

13. Google books has the same ability (and probably shows more pages) for a bunch of different books. I know that some of the various Flathead build books are on there with partial viewing (some pages missing).

14. Try to find a book by John Lawson, he frequents fordbarn.com (JWL). It discuses all the myths and debunks most of them. He has dyno results to back up all his trial and error and shows what really works and what is just B.S. I learned a lot and really appreciate all the help he has given me.

Here is a link for some contact info for the book.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/JWL%20Splash.pdf

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Search "flathead books" and you should find a list or two....they all have something, none have everything, you'll need/want more than one (I've got most of them)