Register now to get rid of these ads!

Packards Maybe a good deal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Madman47-12, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

What are they worth?????
    FOUR 1948-50 PACKARDS
    ALL RESTORABLE WITH TITLES
    ALL ARE 4 DOORS WITH A STRAIGHT 8 MOTOR
    ALL WERE RUNNING WHEN PARKED AND 1 WAS STARTED 2 YEARS AGO
    ALL MOTORS, TRANS, REAR ENDS ARE INTACT
    HALF THE GLASS IS BROKE OUT AND THERE IS SURFACE RUST, BUT IT IS NOT PITTED
    MOST CHROME/INSTRUMENTS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE

2. James427

James427
    BANNED

Not much, seriously.

3. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

Were there alot of them made

4. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

5. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

6. You could start a HAMB Taxi Company???:eek:

Murph

7. James427

James427
    BANNED

Just not an attractive, collectible or desireable model.

8. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

ok makes more cents now

9. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

Are these worth 2500 for all four of them.

10. 62rebel

62rebel

if you got 2500 to put on them and not feel bad about it, sure. but buying them because you can A. afford them, does not necessarily ensure that B. you will enjoy them. do some real studying on an oddball car you're looking at; some of them have strange/kooky/complicated drivetrain systems (like Packard's four wheel torsion bars setup on some models) and a novice can get in over his head and waste lots of time and money and get nowhere, not fun and not rewarding.
    personally: if i had some cash and a place to store them i'd buy them. there ought to be enough stuff there to complete one good car and have saleable extra parts AND some emergency spares to boot.
    they're not chrysler hemis, and they're not 50 Mercs. only diehard Packard guys love them.

11. fuzzface

fuzzface

I noticed those cars on Ebay like 3 years ago for that price when I was searching for parts for my 48 packard hearse.

12. lol, this is an awesom idea! not my fav era of packard but theyd make great taxis.:D

13. Non of these have the torsion bar setup. That came later. The drivetrain and suspension is pretty conventional

14. It's really a shame these are not two-doors, because they were really a beautiful Packard. Much nicer than the '51-up cars are, IMO.

There are a couple of four-door '48s that I'm aware of that have been built. If I can dig up the pics, I'll post them for you.

15. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Man, someone had a fetish for Packy 4 doors... Can't say i've seen that many 4 doors sitting in one field, that identical lol.

16. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

thats were these are is on ebay

17. Swifster

Swifster

No love for the bathtub unless it's a wagon or convertible.

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

Just a heads up, I would go look at them first before bidding because those are the same pictures he used back then. Things do change sitting outside like that.

19. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

this is very true

20. RodStRace

RodStRace

My grandfather took my dad (teen at the time) on a train ride back to the factory to pick up his brand new 48 Packard 4 door and drove it home to San Diego.
    My dad sold it when I was a teen, when my grandfather couldn't see anymore. It still had original paint and uphostery in great shape, and a ton of spares in the trunk. I wouldn't mind one, but it would have to be in great shape, since his was in great shape and there is no way I'd try to restore one. That has got to be a quest of biblical proportions, considering what a perfect one sells for...
    There is no way those could be considered rods, and they weren't done as customs that I ever saw. There was one Green 2 door pro street about 20 years back.

21. James427

James427
    BANNED

Also, if they didn't sell three years ago for the same $2,500 asking price when the whole World had a chance to buy them, then they certainly aren't worth it now with the economy and sitting out for three more years.

22. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

I'd buy them if he was reasonable on the price, like everyone else said, if they didn't get $2500 a year or two ago, they sure as hell won't now. If someone does buy them all, I'd be interested in some parts off the Custom 8 shown in the second pic. (Or the whole car if the price is reasonable)

23. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Those suckers would make cool custom sleds.Heck you could weld 2 or 3 together and have a Packard limmo service.LOL.I dont care what you guys say I like those ugly old things. Bellybutton cars are boring, dare to be different.Its more fun being the oddball where everyone is genaric.

24. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i would make offer of like $1500 if you are wanting them and see how that goes and then maybe parts them out.thanks

25. Ice man

Ice man

There no different then any other car we do. Most of us want Coupes, Roadsters, Pk Ups, some thing more desirable. One day we will want to move on and sell the car we LOVE, so now we need to recover the cost of initial investment, cost to fix it up, and then find some one to buy it and get back some of our money. Some folks want 4 doors, but not many. Then your stuck with it. And you WILL want to sell it some day. Ice man

26. Turbopackman

Turbopackman
    BANNED

Those ugly old things look best when they're two doors. I'd like to have that Custom 8 grille and bumper for my '48 Deluxe 8 coupe, as well as the engine.

Attached Files:

27. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

28. Madman47-12

Madman47-12

29. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

there is also the flintstone flyer

30. rogg49

rogg49
    from michigan

ive got a packard i bought it and didnt know anything about it was a spur of the moment buy and i over paid for it but i was 19 and in the navy it was my daily for a while its a good car i enjoy driving it and it is easy to work and u dont see many of em on the road but my taste has changed so now i cant sell the packard because after what i put into it if i were to sell it id be giving it away i paid six for it 7 years ago and put about 3gs in it over that time there is no way in hell id even get six for it your best bet is to part it out i think thats why they havent sold cuz no one wants the whole car