Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville - How to get started?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by defender chassis, Jul 13, 2009.

1. defender chassis

defender chassis
    from WV

Long time lurker here wondering how a guy would find out how to get involved in the whole Salt Flat Racing scene. I am a long time drag racer with a goal of going 200mph in the quarter b4 I die. I also have thoughts of trying to get into the 200mph club at Bonneville after seeing a show on the tele, just not sure how to get started without wasting a lot of time. I am in WV so I would hate to make the trip and be sent home on a technicality. I am a stickler for being ready to race when I roll in the gate so I like to have all bases covered.

As a second part to this question, how hard is it to get into the 200mph club. My current ride does 3/4 of that in 1320 feet. Just wondering how much effort I would need to get there at Bonneville. I have the skills to build my own car and am not interested in setting any records other than my personal best.

Any constructive critiscism is welcomed.

2. nitrojoe

nitrojoe
    from Midway,nc

Welcome aboard

3. trad27

trad27

welcome abourd. I will be fallowing this thread, I was also wandering the same thing. any links would be great.

4. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

its pretty much show up, register, pass tech ,wait in line.

5. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

I guess it matters how close to red line you are at the end of the quarter on the tech side.As to letting you run I believe they still work on the requirement that you belong to a club.I think there is a provision where you can run as a "guest" but I'm not sure that would qualify you for a timing tag,etc.Keep in mind this is what I've "heard".

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK. This has been covered before, but. Buy a rule book before anything else. Try to get out to the salt for one of the meets to see what is going on. Contact BNI to see if they can put you togeather with a Bonneville racer who is local to you, who can help explane what ever they ment when they wrote the rule book. You understand that you will need to break a record that meets Two Club standards to join the Two Club. Pick one you like and start building. Good luck. There is no club requirement at Bonneville. That's a SCTA - El Mirage thing. Get your advise from someone who has been there.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To get into the 200mph club you have to set a new record in your class above 200.
    Its relatively easy to just run it these days.

8. Choptop

Choptop

1 - BUY A RULE BOOK
    2 - read rule book front to back, every word. Repeat several times.
    3 - repeat step 2 several more times
    4 - I would suggest going to Bonneville first and checking out how its done. Perhaps work on a crew for a car in a similar class. You can skip this step if you like, I just showed up one year on the Salt and raced. It was a steep learning curve, and I was racing some pretty tame stuff. If you show up with big/fast iron the scrutiny is pretty close. You are looking at some big speed so getting the lay of the land wouldnt hurt.
    5 - build your vehicle with rule book nearby
    6 - tech inspect your own vehicle with the rule book. Read each rule outloud, while putting you hand on the part of the vehicle that the rule applies to. Check to make sure that its in compliance.
    7 - be aware that there are some unwritten rules. The organizations are getting better about this, but there is always something that didnt make it into the rule book that you will have to comply with. Bring extra parts and materials to cope with the rules you know nothing about ;)

Also... getting into the 200mph club isnt just going over 200mph... its setting a record over 200mph, and even then that may not qualify you. There are "minimums" in some classes that are above 200mph... why? Well, the 200mph club wants it that way, thats why... silly, but its their club, they make the rules.

200mph on the Salt is no joke. Its nothing like 200mph in the 1/4 (which in itself is no joke, but a completely different game). There are traction issues, there are aero issues (does you vehicle take flight when held at 200+mph for more than a few seconds? Remember, we are talking MILES at speed, not a few seconds), engine reliability issues (see prior comment about distance traveled at speed), Bonneville is at altitude, you have to tune for air density, temp, humidity...

Salt conditions play a very large roll in your speed... last time I was there the speedo on my bike read 175+, my trap time was 151+change due to wheel spin on wet salt, I had a Nitrous shot that would have made the bike good for 200+ but there was no use in hitting it as I just would have spun the rear wheel faster...

have you ever had to deal with a cross wind at 200+? You might at Bonneville.....

LOTS to consider.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  9. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Also keep in mind while it takes a lot of h.p. to hit 150 mph in the 1/4 theres a lot more wind resistance at 200.Think h.p. and how stable you're ride will be at speed.

10. Yo, man, check it out --> http://www.saltflats.com/
    This is not for SCTA. This is for the Utah Salt Flat Racing Assoc (USFRA). They run the 'World of Speed' (not 'Speed Week') event at Bonneville in Sept.

This is for SCTA (Southern Cali Timing Assoc) --> http://www.scta-bni.org/
    They do the 'Speed Week' in August that most go to.

I'd say check out the USFRA site as they have a LOT of info on tech, rules, and the skinny on who, what, when, how, etc. Hope this helps and good luck!

11. Everything Rich Fox and Choptop said is 100%, spot on perfect. One little explanation on who is allowed to make runs. You must join SCTA, but not one of the SCTA clubs.
    Since you are in West (By God) Virginia, I'd suggest taking a trip to Maxton, NC and just look, listen and then ask questions. Think of it as taking an adult education course at the local junior college. Well worth the money, but a whole lot more fun.

Breaking a current 200+ record may not be as simple as you would think. Most if not all V-8 engine classes, no matter what body style, have been set by folks who have spent a ton of time and money on their race cars. THERE ARE NO SOFT RECORDS. You might find a small displacement record, or minimum, that looks easy. Don't be fooled. Most of those are harder than a larger displacement class. Doing more with less is never easy.

Lastly, most drag cars/engines don't really have the right configuration or safety gear for Bonneville. As has been said, read the book and talk to current racers at Maxton.

PM me if you need to visit privately.

12. donnie

donnie
    from NC

Since you are in WV, I would suggest you go the one of the LSR meets in Maxton NC.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

Next meet is in Sept. While it is not the salt it will give you a good idea what it takes to build a LSR vehicle.

All it takes is time and $!

I have seen drag racers trying to run at Maxton and Bonneville have their speeds limited, because of the difference in the safety equipment. Meaning tech told them they could not go over 150 or 175 with how there vehicles where setup.

Also check out www.landracing.com forums

13. macracing

macracing
    from Kokomo, IN

Well, I have just completed a new I/GS Car Streamliner for LSR. The liner, trailer and support equipment are here and paid for, so I am not looking for someone to pay for my build. It is in a class that will allow it to run 200+. We plan to run Maxton and Bonneville, and our main goal is to have a lot of fun. The two of us currently involved are 66 & 67 years old. I am considering inviting someone else to join us in this adventure. If I find someone compatable, that person co-driving the liner would be considered. I would want the new partner to be somewhat local to central Indiana.

So here is one way for someone in the midwest area to get involved. Yes, some financial support to get to the races would be negotiated.

PM me if interested.

14. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Rich and Choptop, hit the big points. And there are a lot more small ones.
    Some devotes have been going to Bonneville annually just to try and increase their top speed - by as little as 3/10 of a MPH!! - I know, we have been there for the last 10 years.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know us Rich guys should stick togeather but I'm going to have to call Rich Venza on one point. Join B.N.I. to run at Bonneville. SCTA will work, but the SC in SCTA is for Southern California. They are the guys that run El Mirage. Lots of crossover between the two, but Bonneville is put on by B.N.I. The actual work however is largely done by the SCTA. You could ignore these guys altogeather and join USFRA to run at the World of Speed in Sept. Same rules, same records. A lot of the same SCTA guys , but not nearly as many entrys. Much cheaper motel rooms and just rooms being available. Your still good for the Two Club runs. Maybe better weather. Maybe not. I run at WoS.

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

GREAT info ChopTop, and dead on too. My father and I were building a 200 mph (hopefully) '57 GMC pickup stock class with a 347 bumped to 372 when he was diagnosed with cancer. We never did get to finish but it was his dream to race the salt and one day I will race it for both of us. Also, to set a record you have to pull into tech AFTER you run that big MPH run, and be inspected and run that MPH record again with VERY minimal maintenance in between runs. Back to back is hard and breaks MANY record attempts because invariably they either techs find something THEY don't like, or you break something and can't make a successful 2nd run.

17. defender chassis

defender chassis
    from WV

OK, I guess I am not interested in the "200mph club" but am just interested in having a timing slip that indicated I went 200 mph.

Thanks for all the quick input. I am thinking about checking out the Maxton Mile. It would not be to big a deal to show up down there in September. I did not realize there was anything like that going on this side of the Mississippi. My plan would be to build a purpose built car and not trying to use any of my dragster stuff.

18. I stand corrected Rich. When we were running the 'liners in the 80's, I just lumped it all together in my memory bank.

Defender...keep in touch. I'm planning on going to Maxton in September. I'd be happy to be your personal LSR interpreter.

There are a couple cars that a guy can "buy a ride". While that isn't what you were planning or thinking, it might be a way to get your feet wet before you build a $50,000 race car!

19. Greezy

Greezy

The USFRA has a 130 and 150 club at the Sept WOS meet. Might want to take your street car out there and give the 130 a shot to begin with. Give you a taste of what salt racing is about. I would definately hit some LSR events before any thing else, you just might find out it isnt your cup o tea, doubtful but you never know.

Im planning a LSR build myself and Speedweek for me is a research trip. Got bitten by the bug on my first trip out there in 07.

I think there might also be a misconception, that you show up out there get teched and make your banzai run. There are licencing runs that need to be made. 200 MPH requires an A license. Like everyone else has said GET A RULE BOOK.

20. Fogger

Fogger

When I was a kid I bought a car from Rollie Free, the famous Bonneville racer. The picture of him laying flat out on his Vincent HRD motorcycle at the Salt is often posted. I spent a great deal of time talking to him and his old buddies about the Salt. The friendship between these guys was great and they were always helping each other with their cars and bikes. Rollie told me that a lot of engine damage was caused by the wet salt conditions causing engines to blow because of loss of traction. Unfortunately Rollie passed on from appendicitis before I could get to the Salt with him.. All the above advise is right on and in addition to the listed tech info there are many informative books written by very knowledgeable veterans of this great American tradition. Check out "Flat Out-The Rollie Free Story" The FOGGER

21. Choptop

Choptop

Dont let any of these dire warnings slow you down or stop you. Running a vehicle on the salt is one of the most amazing things you will ever do in your life. I dont care if you go 30mph or 200mph (I've done both... well.. CLOSE to 200mph :D). It is well worth the time, money and effort. Particularly if you do it with friends and family. There will be trying times, but its all worth it in the end.

Just be aware that there are some hurdles to be jumped to run on the Salt. Deservedly so, the rules are there to make it as safe as possible.

Also, when you get closer to going, remember you have to take EVERYTHING with you that you are going to need. Spares, tools, parts, water, shade... EVERYTHING. Overkill in this arena is the call of the day. It would suck big time to spend the time, effort and money to get out there and not be able to run because the one $5 widget you brought with you that holds the whole car together broke. There is no place to get another one in Wendover. :D Other racers have come through in a pinch for me, but dotn count on it. Bring extra... EVERYTHING.

22. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

When you get down to the more technical questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm an SCTA tech inspector.

23. Choptop

Choptop

Here is a little pic from 2002 when we took 3 vintage bikes to the Salt. Lots of fun. The Guzzi wouldnt run right :(

also rare pic of Choptop with long hair :0

[​IMG]

24. Cshabang

Cshabang

welcome to the addiction...haha Its been covered by the guys above me....wish you the best...no doubt once you have the rule book and pick a class (which is probably one of the harder items to do haha), you'll have a shit ton of questions..and you'll be changing the way you think versus drag racing on how to set up a car..I know we had to....our team was made up of drag and road racers...Its amazing fun, and once you go down the salt once...you're gonna be hooked

25. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

I agree in that there are definitely not any soft records but the easiest (or least hardest) way I see getting into the 200 MPH Club is in the newer rear engine modified roadster class. The minimums are a little on the softer side.

26. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

True statment, I built a front motored car though. I like a challenge! Can you say "hard head"? ;)

[​IMG]

27. I plan on going in 2010, for certain. Was planning for this year, but life jacked that up for me! This is one of my "things I will do"...! Run something the year after? Who knows!!!:)

28. silent rick

silent rick

don't expect to show up and run 200+ on your first trip. you have to prove you can handle a vehicle on the salt first. someone who has run before can explain better, but you need to get your license. i don't know the first mph cut, but you have to bump your license by (25mph?) increments before you're allowed to let it all hang out.

29. if all you want to do is go 200 plus, the two easiest routes are either to "Rent A Ride" from someone, (yes it can be done, no I can't steer you to one) or buy an old NASCAR Cup car. The early 90's Thunder birds in particular had good Aero and will go 200 fairly easily with around 800 HP or so. They are also very safe. you won't break any records, but you can go 200.

30. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In