Register now to get rid of these ads!

454 build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double Caddy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Let me know how those truck headers fit in the frame.... I'm curious.

2. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

:p Those Damn 454s I would never go back to a small block - ever- the big block will always fit . It will sure wake up a '32 Roadster!!

:cool:Ol Deuce

3. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

52 rustrocket im using 67-69 camaro BBC shorty header. I shoud know something this weekend. The plan is to be installing the motor and tranny this weekend. The hood and drive shaft came off tonight and got help for tomorrow to pull the 331 and hydromatic . the drivers side header almost touches where the collecter is. Im counting the days.

Todd

4. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I meant to say the collecter almost touches the oil filter.

5. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Well the engine is all done . Now shes ready to go in. I pulled the 331 and hydromatic last night. Does anyone know what the combo weights. I am thinking that the BBC and turbo tranny has to weight less. THERES ALOT OF CAST IRON IN THE 331 AND HYDRO.

Attached Files:

6. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I did find out that the 331/hydro combo weighs about 75lbs more than a 70's big block Cadillac motor. (425-472-500). A guy at Maximum Torque Specialties (a big block Cadillac hotrod parts place told me the BBC weighs more that a 425 or 500. I tend to agree, since the pressure in my front bags had to increase from 95psi to 100psi to get the same ride hight.

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

well, now You have gone and done it.

from the moment You first touch the gas pedal with the intention of moving the car, You will NEVER want a little block again. not even kind of.

it's kind of like comparing a clydsedale to a mule. Yeah, they can both do the job of getting You where You are going, but the big one does it with very little effort, and looks pretty bitchin next to all of the other horses.

8. looks like the bbc is about 15 lbs lighter according to this link http://www.carnut.com/specs/fengdim.html

9. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I don't have even that big a big block, and sweet Christ you're right. I can't ever go back to anything less than 400 cubes. Big blocks make small blocks look cute (most of the time).

To the fella that mentioned he was swappin' to a bigger carb with a Torker 2 because it was running out... Honestly all the Torkers I had for Ford engines sorta sucked. You might try swapping over to a Performer RPM. Oh my, how much better! It runs on the top end like the Torker *should*.

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Yep. and once You cross the 500 h.p. barrier, everything else feels totally pedestrian.

11. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I said the first thing after a big block as I did before a big block. Just different emphasis... "Oh yeah, OK... :rolleyes:" to "Oh YEAH! OK!!!:cool:"

Next rebuild will get a stroker crank since I already got good heads this time. :D

12. [evil] hee hee hee [/evil]

13. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

it's kinda like the first shot of nitrous...or when the supercharger/ turbos come in for the first time...right?:D

14. sloorider

sloorider

Never driven a 400 sbc, but its big block ci. does it rate with the bb.( done up of course to make 500)

15. Except the "first time" is repeatable! Squirting onto the freeway or the surge of power to pass some D-bag hell bent on going 5 under the speed limit, yeah that's fun right there.