Register now to get rid of these ads!

someone help me out....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highlife31, Jul 10, 2009.

1. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

Ok I will be picking up my 31 coupe in 2-3 weeks. It needs work but i felt i got a great deal on the car. My question for you guys is... For some reason everyone loves to put 32 rails on there car and thats fine but why? All my car back ground is in the muscle cars so sorry for asking a stupid question but i know there is a good reason for this. My second question it my frame is in execellent shape meaning already sandblasted and painted and it looks realy good then can i just box the frame and be ok i do plan on putting in an early hemi or a nailhead. Sorry i don't have pictures yet but i will post some soon. Please let me know because i am extremly curious.

Thanks Jake

2. Intially because they were the foundation for the first production V8, so they are much stronger in stock form than the A frame. They are also a lot deeper (vertical height) and if building a hi boy, they give the appearance of being lower. By the way, if you are going to channel it, I wouldn't got to the expense and trouble of buying a deuce frame. As time has gone on, people love the looks (I guess they always did, but initially there was more purpose to the switch than appearance). Today, it has become tradition.
    As for the hemi question, I'll let others that have done it chime in, but I wouldn't do it, even boxed. If you go that route, build your own out of 2x3 box tubing. If you do use the A frame, you'll need to do a lot more than just box it. You'll need more cross members, gusseting, mounts, etc.

3. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

thanks for the help hopefuly more will respond

4. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

first off congratulations on the coupe! your frame will be fine if you box it in.i like the high boy look and the 32 frame helps hide some of the junk hanging down like the transmission, drive shaft, and cross members. every one has there own reasons for liking the 32 frame but that's mine

5. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

thanks and your coupe looks like the same condition as mine

6. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

7. striper

striper

32 rails are also further apart and space is always a premium on these cars. It gives you heaps more space to fit driveline, pedals, exhaust etc... but...Since you have the A frame and it's your first build why not box it and beef it up a bit and run it, unless you have plenty of spare cash.

8. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

9. Its a year newer so that makes it a year stronger.

10. low49

low49
    from 209and408

i have a hemi and a nailhead for sale??

11. It started because guys would buy 32's to race, because of the V8, and take the body off and swap on a Model A because they were lighter.
    The better looks just kind of came along with the deal

12. ken1939

ken1939

One small point also that was not mentioned was the A bones had those splash aprons, that covered all that hang down stuff. They sat under the body and bolted to the running boards and fenders.

This explains why Hank didnt care about the look of the A frame. They had a sheet metal answer. However on the 28-29s they were probably the coolest look, especially with that little heart shape rad shell and the smaller cowl. 30-31's are nice too, but the early ones had that look.

Unless you want to fab your own frame and really hide more, go the smooth easier route with the Deuce frame. They are a dime a dozen repro, and you can even do your own buy some prestamped rails.

I think most of the previous answers were great, and really hit on why they used the 32 frame.

Hi-boys are about "clean" Clean look, Clean function.

13. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

if you plan on channeling the car i would not waste the money on a 32 frame..if your going to run a hemi i would just build the frame from either 2x3 or 2x4 tubing ..but thats just me i build all of my frames..just seems alot easier and quicker..but if you have the money and like the look go with the 32

14. Decide for yourself which you like best.

There's a thread here on the HAMB with Model A highboys on A frames and another with A's on Deuce frames.

Either of them look good.