Register now to get rid of these ads!

Canadian hot rod found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Jul 9, 2009.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I bought a 1930 Ford Model A Roadster Pick Up a couple of months ago and I am trying to find out its history. I first stumbled across it in 1990 in a backyard in Edmonton Alberta Canada. The little old lady who lived there said that her late husband had it and that it had been sitting there "FOREVER". At that time it had a Corvette 327 and a 4 speed. Someone had started to lengthen the frame and gave up. It had an orange frame, red steel wheels and whitewalls with slicks in the back. I used to visit that old lady just to get a chance to check out that car. She let me have the louvered air cleaner and the chrome shifter knob but said that the car was not for sale. In 2005, A freind said that he was interested in buying a Corvair. I told him were this yard was as it had 3 Corvairs sitting around the Model A. The son of the old lady was there and said that he was cleaning up the property as his mom was moving into an old folks home. Just my luck he had just sold the pick up but my friend bought all 3 Corvairs including a convertible, an old racing two door and an original two door for $400. I bought a bunch of old tools and speed equipment out of the garage for $5.

I thought that this car had become some billet riddled belly button street rod and didn't even want to look at roadster pick ups because It brought back memories of how I was so close but yet so far from getting it. Then in Nov of 2008, just after I got back from SEMA I looked at the local clasifieds and saw it for sale. A man in his 70's had bought it in 2006 from someone who threw away the old frame and wanted to mount the body on a 4x4 bronco chassis! The old man thought that he could build one last hot rod. He bought a new TCI frame and front end and thats about all when he relized that he didn't have it in him any more. I kept in contact with him as I didn't have the cash (I had just bought a 53 chevy hot rod). Once I had the money, I bought it and took it home.

What I have heard about its history is that it was raced in the early 60's down in Calgary by a man named Barry Stanley. I have not been able to verify this (Can anyone?). It was painted red before it was white so I am wondering if it had any other history before the early 60's. The 58 Chevy taillights were on it when it was red and it had some holes above them that had been welded in. It looks like the rear fenders had been bobbed front and rear at one time.

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Attached Files:

2. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

congrats that is one cool little rpu

3. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

super wicked awesome!!!!!!!!!! love the americans and fenders. be kinda cool to do up the chassis and running gear and leave the body alone(including those crazy taillights!) maybe if you drove it around like that for a little while it'd ring some bells with the older guys in your area. any way you go i'm sure it'll turn out cool!

4. George G

George G

Looks good. Hope to see it around Ed. soon

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The Foothills streetrod Club in Calgary here may have an idea on the history of that little jewel..

6. I would put a new chopped windshield in that, add a fan and top hose, safety check it out and drive the snot out of it just as it looks.
    You can't buy better patina than that!

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

There are no hotrods in Canada, who are you trying to kid?!

Seriously, cool find man. Must have been heart-wrenching when she sold it before you got the chance back in 05 hey?

Good luck finding the histroy of your new hotrod. When you do find out who/what/where and when be sure to restore it to it's former glory!

8. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Great find!
    Good luck with the history. I am sure someone will be able to help you out.
    You could post it on the Canadian Rodder forum.

http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/

Someone there might be able to help too.

Sean

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

very cool score

10. Willy59

Willy59

Awesome find in the Great White North. Keep us posted on the resto

11. RAY With

RAY With

So many ways to fix it up it can boggle your mind. Would like to see it when your finished.

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a cool lil RPU id like to see more photos as you bring it back from a long sleep

13. moses

moses

sweet find ...jeffrey

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

15. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

awesome ride man, love it like that

16. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Great Find and Go FLAMES

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Man.. you have a great ride with HISTORY!

18. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Now thats what a roadster pickup should look like!Very cool find.

19. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Try to track down Bill Matheson in Calgary. He writes a column for the FSRA newsletter and knows alot of the early rodding history in the province.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! A real Ford factory 1930-31 Roadster Pick Up, that is a rare find. I think I'd do a nice chassis and run the sheetmetal as is for a while. Glad you got it after chasing it for so long.