Register now to get rid of these ads!

I finally made my 28 RPU my own....more traditional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, Jul 7, 2009.

1. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

love that dash, It just looks perfect, I think thats gonna be coppied....by me. laid back windshield is also very cool.

You made an ok car great

2. Dang it Doug! Quit taunting me with that darn beeautiful truck. Amazing what a few tweeks can do. The pinstriping it tits.
    Hope to see you at Iola.

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

nice job. i gotta give my ++ for the cluster. and i think i'd paint the wheels a chocolate brown to offset the tan of the body. but that's just me. nice changes. they make the car look right.

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

I love the dash cluster,the old steering wheel had to go,and the pinstriping looks great.

5. Bull

Bull

Doug contacted me back in January to tell me he bought a RPU and it turned out to be a car I had tried to buy! Coincidentally, I had watched this RPU for sale on eBay and had even bid on it.

I've had an absolute blast working with Doug on this project. Doug and I were friends before this "make-over" but have become even closer in the past few months. Heck, he even let me borrow the car for 3 weeks and rack up 1000 miles! I've had the privilege of driving this car more than he has at this point. Only an awesome friend (or a brave man with a good insurance policy ;)) would do that. The icing on the cake for me was driving it to DesMoines, IA for the Goodguy's show this past weekend. 600 miles of topless cruising with my dad as my co-pilot . . . even managed to get in some rain miles too . . . and the only problem was a thrown belt. A reliable machine indeed. A trip I'll never forget. Doug and I, along with a bunch of close friends are heading to Iola later today. I told him he should make the 500 mile drive in the A this time. And he offerred the car to me again. While I had to turn him down to save my wrecked knee, I'm appreciative of the offer.

I'm on the hunt for a roadster of my own now. Hard to beat topless cruising!

Oh . . . and the seat that was in the truck before . . . yeah . . . it's NOT for sale! It'll soon be in another A. MINE! :)

6. brainfrz

brainfrz

absolutely perfect updates to your RPU. The dash is awesome, nice choice in steering wheel. the simple changes do your car major justice.

7. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

8. Bull, You lucky pup. I love that truck. It must have been a gas driving that thing. It's so damn cool. Doug's a good guy. I'm sure hoping to make it to Iola tomorrow. Sounds like a blast.
    You guys did a great job on the '28

9. You have done well, grasshopper!!! It has taken me some really ugly mistakes to realize that many times less is more. Great looking truck!

10. Bull

Bull

Doug is used to his 36 and his Falcons. Compared to my A, his RPU rides about the same. Maybe slightly more harsh due to the bias-plys but I found it to ride and drive well over the last 1000 miles.

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Hey your truck is looks great! The look you gave it is much more defined than the previous owner's. From the looks of the before pictures he didn't have much of a game plan when he built it. It looked like he used elements that didn't go together and didn't fit the style of the car. Congratulations , you've got a very nice looking little truck!

12. BigRed390

BigRed390

Love it! Great looking truck!

13. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I was the 'lotboy' for the local Olds dealership when the 56,s were new. I thought the dash was boring. I was then driving my only means of transportation, [Chevy powered Model A] and it never clicked it would be perfect for my car. Good one!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  14. Simple, restrained, well thought-out. You've done a great job. Congrats!

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

A second look and the windshield made a huge difference.When I saw the original pic,it was a nice looking ride.After the upgrades,even better.But what was the difference in the headlights?

16. that olds cluster is an awesome fit howd you come up with that? its amazing

17. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i think that dash was worth whatever it cost....it looks so much better than that other set up.

good job on making it your own.....now get out and rack up some miles.

18. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks for posting the before pics! I saw it at 50s and it really stands out with the appropriate upgrades! Creativity and good taste go along ways these days! Whats up with the coolant? leak in the 1st after picture?

19. Oh yeah! You done good.Huge improvement.I have a question about the windshield stanchions though.Are they made for the 30-31 roadster?I was wondering if the 30-31 fold down windshield would fit the 28-29.

20. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Very cool indeed, I'm jealous, I want one. Everything you did made it look that much better, even though I liked it to begin with. Nice little touches! Have fun cruisin and burnin gas.

21. Your a hero now
    way to keep it simple way to go ... Yippee
    I MAY HAVE SOME SEAT MATERIAL YOU'D LIKE LET ME KNOW
    see ya around unless you see me first

22. seret

seret

that looks allot better, I like it. but your old coil looked better. you should get a crome cover for that blaster 2

23. everything they said. caught this when yourd first brought it. well done, im going back tp page 1 to look @ it some more.

24. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

You did real good .....What kind of seat was in it?

25. RAY With

RAY With

The whole project looks awesome. You did a great job and it shows!

26. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have had a lot of questions regarding the windshield posts. I bought them from HAMBer John Williamson. High quality and a nice guy to deal with. Here is the link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359527&highlight=windshield+28

27. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I like that idea of painting the wheels chocolate brown. I'll have to give that some serious thought. The wheels need something. Perhaps some real baby moons as well.

28. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

ok... several of you guys are pointing out the shocks. Is the problem with the looks, safety, or ride comfort ? I can fix it, but not sure if it's worth the effort and money. The truck rides 'ok' for a model A. I can't imagine the ride would improve that much.

Doug

29. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Huge improvement - well done. That dash is sweet!