Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exxon 100 octane "Race Gas"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Jul 6, 2009.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

I did a search and didnt find what i was needing ,so im asking .Does anyone know for sure about the 100 octane " race gas " they sell at some Exxon stations .I was told by a guy at the dragstrip that it contained Methanol and it would screw my carb and fuel pump ,as in it would eat away at the needle and seat and excelerator pump ,etc.I asked the guy at the gas station where i bought it for $5.99 a gallon and he said he had no idea ,that "he just was in the business of selling" (figures).I know that most gas in my area contains Ethanol and it wont hurt ,but methanol is suppose to be bad on a gasoline system .I ran my car all day at the strip on it and it ran well .When i got home i drained it out of the fuel cell and carb ,and ran cheap regular through it just to make sure.The guy that told me it was bad ,told me that it ruined his Carter AFB and fuel pump.I have a Demon on mine .The stuff smells a bit like rubbing alky in the jug and in the exhaust smell from the headers .Is it methanol or not in it ???

2. The Shocker

The Shocker

Okay , how about if i try it this way ? Has anyone else on here ever ran Exxon 100 octane pump "race gas" in their car ?If so ,did you have any carb or fuel pump problems with it ?How did it do for you ?

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

4. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

P.S. Where are you buying 100 octane at a gas station?

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

Ya, there is an Exxon station here in town that sells it.Its $5.99 a gallon .They sell it to the dirt trackers around here i think .It doenst smell like Sunoco or Vp to me ,it smells kinda like Berrimans Chemtool to me ,and the burned smell of it smells like an alky dragster to me .Noticed i said "to me " ,because my nose is a bit off like the rest of my senses.Might smell different to someone else...

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

I get 110 leaded out of the pump locally!

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

The only bad thing is that although Exxon claims they dont use Methanol in their gasolines ,i am not sure that Exxon is making the 100 octane.Not only that a company called Dougles Distributing supplies most of the stations around here i think ,Exxon ,Shell ,Mobil ,so there no telling who actually is making it...

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

No way .What station sells that leaded 110 ???

10. One of the two stations closest to a dirt track I go to now and then used to sell the 104 or 110 or whatever it was out of the pump, too, same deal it was like three times as much as the other grades. So finding it out of a pump (labeled like a Kero pump that it's not for use on the highway etc.) is not out of the question.

Is a Sunoco with a Pit Stop convenience store, if that helps.

11. Rich1028

Rich1028

I can get leaded 110 sunoco,year round out of the pump.

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Theres an indpendent station here in Fremont that sells VP Racing gas at the pump they have leaded and unleaded.Plus they sell 5 gallon cans of it as well.

13. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

E85 gas has a high octane rating, some where over 100. If this is what the guy you spoke with was running, it could easily and quickly eat away any rubber components in the fuel system.
    Not at all familiar with Exxon 'race gas' though.
    Usually if you flush a system with regular gas, or mix oil with alchohol, it will slow down the deterioration of rubber to some degree.

14. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Used to run Av-gas from the airport in old bikes.Thought it was 109 octane.Has lead.Go with a can an tell them it's for your ultralite.

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

After an hour on the phone today , i tracked down the delivery driver that supplies the fuel to the gas station.He pulled the data sheet for it and he said it is Sunoco 100 octane GT with 10% ethanol ,but no methanol.Any chance this coould hurt my fuel system ?

16. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

No! The majority of pump gas has 10% of alky in it. I'll be running straight alky in my altered, people make alky to be really bad thing usually because they think maintaining a alky fuel system is hard, but it isn't, maintaining the fuel system of a car that runs nitro isn't that hard either.

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks ,and your right .Most gas around here has ethanol in it anyway.After that story that guy told me about messing up his Carter Carb with the same gas from the same place ,i was a bit nervous about using it until i was sure what company made it and what was in it.Didnt want to take a chance on jacking up that new Demon 750 and Holley blue pump .The Dodge runs perfect and i would like to leave it that way.I guess he had another problem other than the gas .Thanks again Kenneth ...

18. Chally

Chally

Hey Shocker...

Make your own blend of gas for much less than $6 a gallon...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=363888

I use one quart per 16 gallon fill to make 93 non-oxagenated gas [no ethanol] close to 99 octane leaded gas for less than $4 per gallon...

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Seriously man, you've been around the block enough times to know better than to take carburetor advice from random strangers. 95% of car guys don't know sh*t about carburetion problems and just stumble their way thru replacing parts and blaming things.

20. The Shocker

The Shocker

Your are right ,but this guy was old enough to be my Dad and been into dragcars all his life .He had a bad ass all steel 41 Willy's coupe a few years ago that he raced here local with a 340 Dodge in it.I had to give him some respect and consideration ,based on his age and past.I also had no idea it was Sunoco fuel.If i new that i woulda never questioned anything...