Register now to get rid of these ads!

Table of Engine Weights - FYI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

I was looking up (or trying to) how much a Y block weighs in at, and found this table of engine weights on the 'net.

According to this table, a Y block weighs the same as a flathead at 625, and a SBC is about 575.

Interesting info - no idea how accurate it is, though:

http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

2. overkillphil

overkillphil

I've been told that a full dressed 385 series (429-460)Ford weighs 750# not 640# on this site. Interesting! If you get around to weighing your Y-Block, let us know...I'm sure the aluminum Offy intake I'm putting on mine will shed a couple pounds.

3. madpole

madpole

i don't know, but my y block made my engine hoist sweat!! seems heavier than a flathead.

4. Just Jones

Just Jones

I had the same experience . . . but what really blew me away was that (according to that table) a big block chev weighs more than 200 lbs more than a small block! Scary considering how many T buckets were built with big blocks and motorcycle wheels and tires on the front!

5. overkillphil

overkillphil

I've been told you can lose 100# on an FE just by swapping to an aluminum intake.

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

I'll let you know - Im trying to figure out weights so that I can know what front springs to use in 56 Fairlane gasser I am building. I want to get the right elevation in the front, but dont want to go with a straight axle. To complicate matters, the car has a 70s Camaro front clip.

Trying to avoid getting springs that are too stiff. This is harder than I thought it would be.

What is your Y block going in, Phil?

7. overkillphil

overkillphil

'27T RPU It's a '60 292 with truck toploader, 14" zoomies, and the Offy intake w/ 3X 94s

8. Just Jones

Just Jones

Man, can't wait to see that!

9. 461/2ton

461/2ton

Y-block weight can be reduced quite a bit with some add on goodies, if you can find them: Aluminum timing cover, water pump, thermo housing and intake. Mini hi-torque starter alone takes off at least 15 lbs. And my setup also has an aluminum bell housing.

10. RAY With

RAY With

Interesting site with the engine weights listed. Thanks for the link.

11. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I don't think its quiet that much, I would say about 75lb. It is all I can do to lift a cast one and I can pick up an aluminum one with one hand easily

12. Close... my Olds 455 Dual Quad (complete) weighs about 60 lbs. less than the stock Cast iron 4 bbl intake manifold alone.

Plus the Aluminum heads shaved off another 55 (?) lbs.!

So according to this chart my Big Block Olds weighs less than a Small block Chevy... by "how much"... I don't know...!

Besides the Olds engines are weighed with "Accessories"... what ever that means????????

13. yblock292

yblock292

WOW, gasserkids 59 430 Lincoln is the heaviest on here, will be fun stuffed in the 30 highboy with 6-97's, joe hunt mag, top loader 4 speed and narrowed 9in!Hamb drags here we come (next year)

14. yblock292

yblock292

Almost anyway

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Caddy V-16...1600? Man! Lippy

16. Just Jones

Just Jones

Good to know - where did you find the mini starter and aluminum bellhousing? What trans are you running? I am bolting up a Mustang GT T5 5 speed behind mine.