Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

what's up everybody, it's been a little while, what's everyone doing to they're 56 Plymouths lately? I myself have just been driving and enjoying it, I am about to get the generator rebuilt though as it seems it's not charging all of sudden....

2. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I pulled the engine and trans so I can rebuild both then I'll start on the body work.

3. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Im waiting for a Exhaust Manifold to arrive.. Broke the Drivers side off on a speed bump last Tuesday.. It the Nicest day so far out of the Year.. and Im grounded..

Hope every one is doing well..

4. Squablow

Squablow

Has anyone ever swapped a different radiator into these cars? My '55 Dodge was running so nice, but it majorly overheated the other day, blowing a huge amount of antifreeze out. It might be something simple, I haven't really looked at it yet (I was so disgusted, I got it back to the shop and left it there) but if I do end up needing a radiator I'd like to know if there are any easy swaps. Having the stock one recored would be great but it's so expensive.

Last week I finally got my new fuel pump and installed it, the car ran great, I put the door panels back together which turned out really nice, and drove it quite a bit. I thought I had finally reached daily driver status with this one. Maybe next week.

5. sickboy713

sickboy713
    from oildale

put some stripes on the car and changed the wheel color

[​IMG]

Chilberto likes this.
  6. RPM Ron

RPM Ron

my 56

Attached Files:

7. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

Finally got some pics of my Royal on my computer, so I thought I'd show her off. The last one is my dog, Mopar, sitting in the front seat and in serious need of a haircut. Right now I've just been working on the starting system, so I can get her to crank.

Attached Files:

• MR 1.jpg
      MR 1.jpg
      File size:
      218.6 KB
      Views:
    • MR 2.jpg
      MR 2.jpg
      File size:
      210.5 KB
      Views:
    • MR 3.jpg
      MR 3.jpg
      File size:
      207.8 KB
      Views:
    • MR 4.jpg
      MR 4.jpg
      File size:
      152.5 KB
      Views:
    • MR 5.jpg
      MR 5.jpg
      File size:
      133.9 KB
      Views:
  8. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Hey thats my 55 in Santa Maria. I need to figure out what I'm going to do for a grille. thanks for posting them up.

9. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

The grill treatment on this 55 is kinda cool.

Attached Files:

10. Looks like a portion of a '55 or '56 Olds grille, I don't remember which is which.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Being that it has parking lights in it, I'm guessing it's a 55 Chrysler bumper bar.

True to form, I got my cooling problem in the '55 figured out, then I had 2 days to drive it before it broke again.

The cooling problem turned out to be a mouse nest in the top tank of the radiator, it was packed in when I took the cap off. Must have had a mouse build a nest in the engine while I had the water pump off for a rebuild. The cap and the thermostat would have prevented the mouse from getting into the radiator, so I assume it filtered it's way through the motor and got stuck there since it wouldn't go through the fins.

Then, as I was driving it on Sunday, the lights got real dim and the battery gauge was showing discharge, so hopefully it's just bad connections and not a junk generator.

This car sure has been a load of trouble for me.

12. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

I saw that wagon in Santa Maria and let me tell you it is a beautiful car! I really was digging the grille and had thought about using the Olds grille bar before, but I don't know if I want to copy the wagon. What do you guys think? Think it's no big deal to copy it or what?

13. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Got started on the body work,made a couple of changes to the hood.

Attached Files:

14. 56 belvedere

56 belvedere
    from France

i have the same job with mine

Attached Files:

15. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

How about the outer sections of a Henry J grill?The pieces with the park lights.

Attached Files:

16. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Hey those look pretty good. Thanks

I like the work you did on your hood. Keeps us updated on your work.

17. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Here's a quick sketch of what I have planned for the rear tail lights will be 58 Bel Airs.

Attached Files:

18. I still have my friends 56 coronet more door for sale $1500 OBO PM for details Larry

19. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

That's going to look good. I have always liked those taillights.

20. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

well I finally got though the mopar show season, it was about 105 degrees today in the swap meet area, sold some stuff, made out pretty good, scored a rebuilt 3 speed 727 for a big block for 150$ so now i just need to mock it up. come september the car is going down for a transmission and rear end swap. then save up for a new motor.

One problem I am having though, is it doesn't seem to be charging all of a sudden. The amp light comes on at speed instead of idle like normal. I just put a new voltage regulator on 6 months ago, and the generator is putting out 12.13 volts according to the voltmeter. Could the regulator have fried on me? I did some research and peopel have said you use a solid state regulator, part# VR706 to replace the points style one. The only problem is that mine has 3 connections ( ARM, FLD, and BAT) while the VR706 only has 2 ( BAT, FLD) so how would I go about wiring it in? just put the 2 wires in the same connector? It doesn't sound right to me....

21. 64gal500

64gal500
    from Dexter MI

ok newbie here and know nothing about old plymouths but just made a deal on a 55 plaza more door str 6. love the hooded eyes its what drew me to the car so any advice for a new guy?

22. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

23. RPM Ron

RPM Ron

That's going to be a good looking ride - can't wait to see more pictures

24. 64gal500

64gal500
    from Dexter MI

25. Hey I just wanted to share some pics of my 56 Dodge truck this first one is at Watkins Glen getting ready to go the track for some laps! [​IMG]
    This is a shot of the chrome firewall and the slant six motor [​IMG]

Chilberto likes this.
  26. rrunner

rrunner
    from florida

56 Plymouth 015.JPG Hi all, new here this being my first post. I just bought a 56 2dr wagon and finally got it home, Florida, from Cali. and cleaned up. I am very interested in parts, not being able to find many as of yet. I am in bad need of a rear glass and gasket or a entire hatch with the glass.io keep it dry for now Any ideas where to find any wagon parts?? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  27. George

George

Do an intro! Check out www.forwardlook.net

28. 64gal500

64gal500
    from Dexter MI

29. missysdad1

missysdad1

Your car reminds me of my grandfather's, though his was a 4-door. It was an ex-state police cruiser from Maine, though I don't think he ever knew it. It was just a good, solid late model used car to him. It had been repainted a light green, but you could still see where the bubble gum machine and the whip antenna had been.

That car would haul a**!!! It had the big 4-barrel motor with push-button automatic and factory dual exhaust! It would smoke the tires as long as you wanted (Don't ask...)! :rolleyes:

But it wouldn't stop worth a darn. Grampa was hard of hearing and couldn't hear the metal-to-metal groans in the brakes until it was too late. He and Grammie were okay, but the car didn't make it. :(

Too bad. It was a great car! :)

Attached Files:

30. noodles56

noodles56

Was hoping someone here could help me with my 56 Savoy. I got some NOS fender skirts and I can't figure out the mounting hardware that came with it. I can post some pictures but basically there are two brackets for each side. One shaped like a triangle and one with an oval hole on it. There are 6 holes total for bolts, yet only 4 bolts were in the kit (which is what the kit says on the cover so I assume it's complete).