Register now to get rid of these ads!

my Dad said '60 Fords are so ugly they only made 'em for one year'...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earl schieb, Jul 2, 2009.

1. .....or....I got me a new car :D

[​IMG]

Bowling Green was hot, and I was about done with my 60 Catalina(5 month thrash and I was tired of lookin' at it :eek:) This Fairlane was for sale by a friend of mine, so we did some tradin' :cool:
    It's supposed to be a Texas car by way of OH(not rusty), 292 with Edelbrock intake and Ford script carbs, 3 on da tree, flake on the roof, new Firestones, blah blah blah.......
    I'm not really a big Ford guy, but I have a soft spot for 60s--they CAN look good(think KIRK!) Wasn't sure I wanted to keep it, so I hawked it at GGuys Nashville last week---had one lowball offer---so I guess I'll put my mark on it ;)
    (Anybody got a set of T-Bird wires? :D)

Just curious---if I go so far.....I'm not 100% on the Yblock, I mean as far as flogging it down the interstate. "If" ---and that's a BIG if---I changed out powerplants, is the simplest thing a 302/AOD? Or maybe an FE/C6?:confused:
    The Y and trips is really cool and all, but I ain't feelin' the hole in the hood(got a 63 Tbird sccop for that) This poor old soldier is kinda hung between mild custom and wannabe badass....so I'm gonna push it in one direction.

Any suggestions/comments/caveats?

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I have faith you will do it justice...

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

It's a little bit boring...know anyone who can paint it another color??????

4. Boring...hahaha! :D

I almost flamed it day before yesterday---literally :eek:
    Drove it to lunch and on the way back it sorta sputtered, like not enough fuel.......:confused: Parked it out back and opened the hood---figured I'd "diagnose" the problem ;) Soon as I got the hood up(engine running) I see the canter carb (plastic:rolleyes:) fuel line is broke off from the carb, and fuel is pumpin' right out like blood from a severed artery--all over the engine :eek: Crap, talk about a quick shutdown!
    Another example of "why NOT to use clear plastic hoses for fuel lines, kids" :rolleyes:
    Yeow!

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

so did you pick which two? good, fast or cheap?

I like the platform you are starting with Mike. Please keep us posted

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

bitchin. i think it looks pretty solid the way it is right now. i tend to agree about the hole in the hood...its a little too hot rod for a mild custom. i would tend to say go mild custom since the paint appears to be in really good condition already.

how about some chrome reverse wheels?

7. [​IMG]

Little better pic.
    Those cheater plugs gotta go too :p Lakers, anyone? :confused: naaah.....that only leads to fuzzy dice and fender skirts and names on the trunk lid:eek: ( could name it "baby blue" and ride around playin' John Hiatt real loud :eek:)

Chrome reverse......yeah, the thought crossed my mind...I dunno....I'm an old fart---I like wire wheels :cool:

Bob, I can choose all three, cause I am the boss. ;) Miss ya buddy---come to the Drags this year!

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Mike: I have the cars, the truck, trailer...but the time and money may be a problem.

Don't count on me, but you never know!

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

In the last pic it looks like a barnfind... :rolleyes: Whataya figure its worth, maybe post a thread?

10. I love it. As much as I love 3 deuces, they should be under the hood. Chrome reverse wheels, you could keep the dumps - they did run them. Nice clean mild custom

11. Looks good man.

You know what? My dad always has said the same thing!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I don't agree with your Dad - 60 Fords look good. I'd like to build one someday, if the existing projects get a little farther along. You got a very nice ride!

13. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Man I like it as is, nice looking ride.

14. No WAY dude....it's tech week...:p

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

My Dad really liked the '59 Fords, and was sure the '60's would be an upgrade on the design. What a letdown the '60's were for him, I think I even returned an AMT kit someone gave me out of agreement. However, today a friend has one with a slammed front end and a few subtile changes and it looks pretty nice, and he's driving it a lot.

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Your father is wrong. 58 and 59 Fords were ugly 60 Fords were beautiful as yours is.

17. missysdad1

missysdad1

One of the few cars I've seen in my lifetime that I'd simply leave alone. Very nice car!

18. I really like the plain steel wheels with the '49-'50 Ford caps and beauty rings. That's actually in my opinion one of the best looking hubcaps Ford ever made, and they look good on just about anything. I'm not a big fan of the carbs sticking up through the hood, but I basically like it otherwise. Clean, simple, and understated does the trick on a '60 Ford. I think the '60 is more attractive than a '59 and way ahead of a '58. My father, who worked at Ford '52-'82 said that the '58 Ford "looks like a largemouth bass on wheels."

19. If this was a poll, I think I would be in the "leave it alone and drive the crap out of it" camp ( well, except for the hood, maybe...)
    I like it.

20. rainman1958

rainman1958

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Mike,

Very cool looking Ford!
    If it were mine (is it for sale?), I'd consider chrome reverse wheels, maybe bellflower tips?, change out the 3x2 intake for a 4-barrel, fill the hole in the hood and drive the wheels off it! :D

Malcolm

22. You should always listen to your Dad...

23. RAY With

RAY With

The Y block is a good dependable motor and in 60 they also had a 352 so its like your choice and it would be a bolt in. Another common swap would be the 351 W which is a good engine also and makes a lot of power with very little effort or expense but modifications like motor mounts would have to be made.. My choice would be keep the Y block and what ever it needs do it now and it should be good for 100,000 miles if properly maintained

24. silent rick

silent rick

your dad was right, that thing is hideous.

what is this, old timers week? first nads, then bleed, now you mike. all the old regulars are posting again. how you doin?

25. AZCOWBO

AZCOWBO

My second car was a 1960 Black Sunliner convertible with a 351 Windsor. The stock interior was red, white and black. Since the mufflers were located just in front of the rear bumper, I cut off the ends of a flathead crossover pipe and welded dumps in and had some very loud dual straights. I got a ticket for 126 mph while trying to catch up with what I thought was a friend of mine. Turns out I had been chasing an Okla. State Trooper for 7 miles. He thought it was quite funny, but still gave me a ticket.

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Let's see, if 60's were so ugly they only made them one year, I guess with that logic, 32 Fords and 58 Chevies were ugly too. The only thing wrong with your Ford is it needs some color!

27. hot rust

hot rust

saw the car at n'ville thought it was sweet. i looked under the hood and it didnt look as though there was room to keep the 3x2 setup under there, the reason for the hood. like others have said, chrome reverse with spiders,would be a drastic change for the better imo.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

29. Dirty2

Dirty2

I like it ! My dad had one .

30. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I actually dig this one just like it sits too. I don't think it's stuck between images. It's just sweet.