Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Ride With My Father

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 1, 2009.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

So effing cool man. Glad you got to do that. He doesn't need oxygen in a roadster, just drive faster!

2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Wish I had a father to ride *shotgun* in my coopay.......cherish those moments Jerry!

CB

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

having lost my father when i was 12,and just getting back from a show where my 19yr old son drove one of my cars.i know how much this meant to you. brought a tear to my eye. good for you AND him. and you got pics also.:)

4. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Thats Cool you'll never forget that ride. Hope the best for your Dad. Enjoy the time spent. You have cool ride

5. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I can't even begin to tell you how great that is!

MAN I'm loving it ,

can't say enough how I would love to be able to do that with my Mom OR Pop.

Damn ,It feels like you did it for all of us who can't anymore,

THANK YOU...

6. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Man, what a great day. Good for you and your pops!!

7. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

That last photo is on proud papa!! those few short minutes you spent in the roadster are the ones you'll remember the most and the clearest way into you later years. memories of doing what you both loved never goes away.

I arranged to have a fellow HAMBer take my father-in-law out in his roadster two years ago before I got my coupe running and Joe STILL takes about it. His wife busts his chops say stuff like he can't remember to feed the cat but he remembers that!!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133794

Greg, you da man as far as Joe is concerned.

8. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I sure wish I could take my grandfather for a ride. He has a alzheimers and the doctors keep him pretty well docile with meds so he rarely leaves the house. I'm no doctor, but I sometimes think all the medicine is what sends them down hill in the first place.

9. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

"alzheimers" Grab him by the belt and go out anyway, you may never know what he is thinking, but I would bet it will be something good from his youth.

I hope every younger hot rodder takes this thread to heart - because the saying "you don't know what you have till its gone" is written by every HAMB member on this thread. My father died in my arms, someday I will own a 61 Caddy in his Memory.
    Father's Day should be Everyday!

10. whid

whid

good for you dude,never had a good relationship with my dad.still dont.seems likes he tolerates me at best.although for the last few months he has been askin about my truck.would definatley like to get it done and give him a ride...............dave

11. That's good stuff. I lost my pops a couple of years ago but most of my memories with him are car memories. We didn't agree on much, but we had the love of old cars to share. I wish you guys the best.

12. strait2u

strait2u

Make memories while you can! Life is too short not to enjoy it.

Great story...thanks for sharing.

13. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Kool car Kool Dad

14. bigern007

bigern007

Jerry.....sorry about your Dad......Make sure he sees a lot of you...

Say Hi to him and your mom ,from Canada..

hang in there chum...........Ernie and Rob

15. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Jerry,

Thanks for taking your pops for a ride from all the people who didn't have the chance to do this with their own loved ones before it was too late!
    I'm sure most of us got a little choked up to say the least!

Vintagedrags

16. I second that.

17. CruZer

CruZer

Hey, I think your father needs a ride in the roadster EVERY day !!!! It looks like good therapy for him.

18. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

WOW! Savor the memories. Make more while you can.

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks for sharing that special moment with us. Made my day too.

20. Marty S1

Marty S1

^^^ I couldn't agree more.

Jerry, Thank You for posting this. I lost my Dad to the same circumstances last year. This has also been great therapy for me!

Prayers for you and your Dad.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

My mom was actually the hell driver in my family, the fastest I've ever been on any kind of wheels was 120 mph in a 1976 Mercedes Benz 450 SEL with mom at the wheel.

Family is a beautiful thing.

22. Ebert

Ebert

Me, too! This is way cool!

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Also, while we're talking, my dad had a Triumph single in Pakistan back in the 50s and he hadn't ridden a motorcycle since, but when I had finished my suicide shifted HD shovelhead chopper he wanted to ride it. I told him no but now I wish I would have.
    Mighta been better to go out screaming in the wind, WFO, than hobbling away on the crutches of cancer.

My life is so empty without my folks, I miss them more than words can say.

24. BELLM

BELLM

Cool pics! Cherish every minute with your dad. Mine died of lung cancer in 1976, missed him every day since.
    Here is a picture of me & my dad taken in 1948, I'm the one crawling on the sidewalk :). (Ok, I admit it, I still crawl on the sidewalk occasionally!!) I've wanted a '34 Ford 5 window coupe all my life because of this picture, finally got one last year, I carry a copy of this photo in my '34 all the time, so I guess he kinda rides with me all the time.

Attached Files:

25. FONZI

FONZI

That is really cool. And your roadster is sharp as hell!!

FONZI

26. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

memories like that are the best,,,,thats what its all about,,
    good job man,,

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good for you making memories of your dad. In years to come those pictures will be priceless. Wish I had more of my dad but he was gone a lot of the time flying in the AirForce. when he was home we never saw eye to eye and missed the opportunities that make good memories. No matter what I did it never seemed to please him and the mechanical ability that i'm convinced I inhereited from my grandfather was nothing more than a waste of time as far as he was concerned. According to my mom he regretted not being closer to me and in the final days of his life he mentioned it to her. Wish he had mentioned it to me.

Frank

28. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Great memories with your Dad. Sometimes we all get so busy we overlook whats important, and you didnt. Good job. I lost my Dad 3 weeks ago, but the cool part was I got to take him for a ride in my 31 in April. He thought it was so cool cause his first car was a 31 Ford. He never understood why I did what I did with cars, but he always appreciated the end result
    I miss him, but have great memories of the times we spent together
    Here's a picture of my Dad in his 31

Attached Files:

29. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

That is something that you both will never forget!

30. bigchuckstud

bigchuckstud