Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sedan back from painters: I have a question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Glen

Glen

Its a shame the body shop did not care enough to ask you. Its their responsiblity to ask the questions "What about this?" Customers dont know the process.

The underside should have been sealed when they sealed the top. Kind of makes you wonder what other steps they skipped?

I would use one of those soft nap rollers from home depot and roll some sealer underneath, avoid the overspray that way. I rolled the inside of my model A with PPG epoxy primer.

2. Magic

Magic

Our policy has always been if we take it to bare metal, then something goes back on to seal the bare metal, primer, paint, undercoating, whatever , it gets protected. As stated earlier it has his name tied to it, and the quickest way to the poor house is shotty work and in my book that would be pretty shotty, and I know materials are costly, but reputations are not. The cost to seal the bare metal pieces you are talking about are minimal and YES he shorted you. No bare metal should leave the shop unless you paid or traded to get bare metal, or its an unfinished job.

Good luck and if he does not stand behind the job it a pretty easy fix but could become a problem if left bare.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

While you are at it you could use the bedliner stuff on the fenders to prevent rock chips from the bottom side up.

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I feel for you,But its really your own fault. The details should have been up front and clear. You should have gone over the whole car before loading it on your trailer to bring it home from his shop.

I would call or go there and see if he will finish the job.

5. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

I'd be tempted to print up some money with only print on one side, and use that to pay them... then after you get aressted...

6. Rusty

Rusty

Yeap that is very common when you get paint done at ano Hot Rod custom shop, Hell theres well known guys around here that do that to hot rods and custom, I guess they just never think that dash or fender will ever be removed or looked at

7. Depends on what you wanted them to do and how much you oaid for the work. Always get it in writing.

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

WOW! that is really surprising for who painted it. I know that this may sound insane, but did they prime the fenders/body before they shot the paint? Sorry to here about about that.

Chris

9. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

Here are my thoughts and ideas, if he left the back side bare what is under the paint, primer, sealer, nothing??? I always spray all bare metal with an epoxy surfacer, the under side would just get scuffed and undercoated. My suggestion for you is to mask the painted side, clean any surface rust, spray with an etch prime(available in a rattle can), under coat with any quality ruberized undercoating.

10. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just had my '50 F-1 painted by a friend that's a painter. He asked if I wanted the underside of the fenders painted to match the body. He said would cost more in materials (mostly paint). He suggested since it was going to be a driver that he prime the underside, then I could brush paint with semi-gloss black rustoleum before we bolted the fenders on the body. Turned out just fine!

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

You didn't give us enough info to really call on this. Did you tow in a rust bucket and HE TOOK IT TO BARE METAL? Did you have the body stripped to bare metal and assembled and he just did some straightening and shot it?
    I have to say that this should have been discussed beforehand, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not bad. I'd rather have bare metal that I could prep and seal properly with something that will keep the rock chips away than a light fogging of color over bare metal.
    Maybe you can work something out so you are both happy.

12. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hmm I'm not a pro painter, so take it for what it's worth. If I were in your shoes I'd probably be hot under the collar, because I hate feeling like I've been taken for a fool.

All things being equal, it sounds like he gave you a decent, but not concours, paint job.

Maybe when he does paint they don't include removing the tires/wheels to do the wheelwells? Maybe he thought that's all your trade was worth to him and he did an equal job to match the trade?

And maybe he just forgot to get behind the dash, people get busy and get interrupted, it happens.

Give yourself some time to calm down and when you're ready just give the guy a call and ask him without accusing, or email. If youre satisfied with the rest of the car then it doesn't sound like this is that big a deal.

Maybe you're just pissed you made this trade in the first place?

whatever happens, good luck

13. I think that the problem here is that we have all gotten into the whole (pardon the expression) "rat rod" mentality. If it runs and drives that's good enough. The rest of the world is just following suit.

The paint looks unfinished from where I sit. You can see under the fenders even when its going down the road so I would think that anyone would want or expect it to be covered with something.

But bring back the mentality that we have gotten into or the image that we have tried to portray and you're right back to what one would expect. if it runs and drives that's good enough.

How's that for a non-answer? Probably should have had something spritzed on there. Wouldn't hurt a thing to see what they are willing to do to finish what looks to be the beginning of a sweet color and shine job. Me personally if it was going to cause a major falling out would probably just grab a brush and some rustolium.

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

I like Glen's roller idea.

[​IMG]

15. vertible59

vertible59

I also feel for you. Every time I do a trade deal like that, I end up getting hosed. You are probably lucky things turned out as well as they did.

16. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

Mask off the freshly painted surface, brush on por15 (matt finish) on the unpainted, slightly rusted area and follow with some quality undercoating or roll on bedliner to prevent rock chips or small dings.

17. Lucky's Garage

Lucky's Garage
    from S.W.

At this point go ahead mask and paint or POR-15 the under side. At the very least you will get the result you expected.
    As far as expectations or agreements, go back and at least bring the situation to the painters attention. Maybe will be a learning experience for him as well.

18. customcory

customcory

If the bottom of the fenders are like that, I would hate to see whats under the paint.:D

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats a low move. I would never, ever, ever leave ANYTHING in bare metal when giving it back to a customer, unless it was a work in progress and was discussed. At least primer if not some BS single stage or some undercoat.

20. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I don't care where you live or who you are bare metal doesn't belong on the car.

I think it's flat out laziness.

I'd ask them to fix it and if they don't let them know where you stand and what kind of a reference you'll be for them.

The areas don't need a perfect finish just rust prevention.

I'm sorry about your trouble.

21. Sounds good, tell me more...

22. Billet

Billet

How about at least priming all surfaces instead of making you think you should have read the small print- Mask and paint- what else can you do- Education cost money, here or the University. Let the guy know about the problem and see if he offers anything to help
    Good Luck