Register now to get rid of these ads!

flex radiator hose, any problems with them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by socalmerc, Jul 1, 2009.

1. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i was looking at them and wondered if anybody had any problems with them. i noticed there is the cheaper stainless versions and the copper ones that coolflex puts out. is there a difference? what else is out there besides this style and the braided hoses

2. 4cfed

4cfed
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

iv used the flex radiator hose before, never had a problem with it,

3. i think they suck and look like crap. i've seen them crack in between the ribs where you cant see it and the spring turn to rust. it's worth your time making friends at the local parts store, looking at all the hoses or at the illustrated guide and finding a regular hose that will work.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Are you talking flex style rubber hose or an all metal flexible pipe style?

either way, they both look like ass in my opinion, one is just more costly than the other... both are a good way to avoid doing what 1oldtimer suggested and spend a day looking for the RIGHT hose to fit your needs

5. I have used Samcosport hoses for years,
    They have always had what ever I have needed,
    Thier range seems to have every diameter and bend one could ever need covered,
    rated for higher pressure than stock and looks neat.

6. rodknocker

rodknocker

I think you're better off measuring the diameter,distance to the bends, and going to the parts store and trying to match one up.What car/motor setup are you running?

7. Weasel

Weasel

Street rod and ricer bling - matches chrome wire loom wrap, plus twice the number of clamped connections to leak.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

I used a piece of coat hanger to make a rough template of the bends and angles I needed for both upper and lower radiator hose. (Remember to form your template from top of outlent to top of inlet -- or bottom to bottom. You'll be much more precise that trying to measure center to center.) Took them to my local NAPA store -- where I'm not exactly a stranger -- and told them I wanted to look thru their hose inventory for something that would match my bent coat hangers. They readily agreed, and a scant 3 hours later I emerged from the back of the story with EXACTLY what I needed. I had to cut the ends off my finds and adapt them to my particular application, but the hoses look far better than the "universal" flex-type stuff. Remember this: "Universal" really means "...fits nothing!"

9. ah don't let these guys discourage you. if it goes with the theme of your car then go for it. I have put on both the stainless and the coolflex brand. along as you make sure you have superglued the adapters on the inside of the hose fitting you won't have a problem. And all about the cracking in the middle of the grooves the fix for that is to put enough length on the hose. that way it will flex and do its job. the guy that had it crack probalbly didn't buy a long enough hose or cut it to short
    Brant

10. Heck yea put one on and get laughed at on cruise night

11. Anderson

Anderson

They look like complete ass. Don't do it. Ever. It's just lazy....

If it does go with the theme of your car, change the theme of your car.

12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Dooooooooo iiiiiit.
    Then when ya have time or scratch get the right ones and keep em fer spares.
    I like asssssssssssssssss. ;-]

13. Used copper tubing and elbows. Then all ya need is a short length of straight rubber on each end for connection. Paint or chrome if ya want to be fancy. Easy replacement if on the road.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  14. The corrugated copper coolflex hoses look suspiciously like the easy bend plumbing fittings that we have over here in the UK. They cost about 5% of what a coolflex hose costs. Sure, there's not adapter at each end but how much could that cost?

15. i was just talking about the rubber universal hoses, i never used the metal styled ones (look real bad to me). but i did try clear tubing in high school.........that ended bad :D.

16. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

thats where they get there copper flex hose from. so it's probably the same thing

17. panic

panic

What do hoses do?
    Flow water.
    What do flex interior hoses not do well?
    Flow water.

Don't.