Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need spindle and brake help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwinpartss, Jun 25, 2009.

1. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I bought a set of 37-41 round back spindles that came with caliper brackets that accept a set of calipers from a 65-82 corvette. The guy i bought them from ditched the rotors and had no idea what they were from all he could tell me is that hey were 5 on 5 bolt pattern and the bearings were a series 3 and series 5 timkens. I bought a set of early 70's C15 Chevy 12" rotors they fit over the spindles and bearings are the right size but the you cant get the spindle nut on. I need to know what chevy rotor fits???? you guys have any idea???

Thanks

2. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

3. Try a set off front rotors of a mid 70s chevelle or camaro. The spindles need a spacer ring to accept the inside rotor bearing.

4. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Chevelle and Camaro use a smaller inner bearing.

5. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

They are a one piece rotor and hub assembly. Rotors 5 on 5 bolt pattern and are almost 12" in dia using a series 3 outter and a series 5 inner timken bearings. The overall hub height of 4.65"
    any help you can offer in figuring out what they are would be greatly appreciated.

6. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

What the other FNG guy said is correct. You can get the spacers from most anywhere if you just do some research.

7. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

You will be time and money ahead to junk those brackets and start with something that uses a single piston caliper.The corvette 4piston calipers are miserable to work with and they still don't work that good. Keep your spindles and buy a kit that works together.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Actually the chances of that guy's memory being accurate for front disc brake rotors on a Ford spindle for a hot rod are pretty slim. 5 on 5 is NOT a popular bolt pattern for hot rod brake conversions and never has been and, truth be told, probably half of modern hotrodders don't know what the bolt pattern of their current car or truck or hot rod is anyway.

9. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

The previous post would be correct except that my spindle will not accept a series 6 timken inner bearing. Camaro and Chevelle and impala used a series 3 outter and a series 6 inside. My spindles are larger they use a series 3 and 5

10. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

11. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I would like to but I do not want to replace my spindles. This is what is so F*&% up the stuff that is supposed to fit does not fit. The closest we have come is 86 Chevrolet C10 1/2 ton truck. I just cant get the axle nut on the spindle. in 86 Chevy C10 had two size rotors one tall hub and a short hub 4.65" The tall hub uses the right size bearings a 3 and a 5 but it is too tall. The short hub style is the right height but it uses a 3 and a 6 bearing.

So it is looking like Ihave to buy new spindles

12. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I see it just the opposite. You say you have a set of 37 spindles and you have a bracket that fits who knows what. and you have a set of rotors from a truck that will never fit.

I assume you have an I beam axle that the spindles fit. To get a set of disc brakes to work you can use the mid 70's chevelle rotors that are cheap and you can buy an adapter kit to utilize the Chevelle rotors on the 37 round backed spindles. The kit comes with an inside bearing race or some call it a bushing bushing that is pressed onto the 37 spindle one pressed on mates with the stock chevelle bearing and this race or spacer is pressed on the 37 spindle also in the kit is a caliper bracket that will give better brakes than some hodge podge of parts that don't fit. Pitch the truck rotors and the caliper bracket you bought or sell them and use the kit from the Link I sent you.

13. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

The mid 70's Chevelle uses a set 2 and a set 6 timken. The kit you are referring to uses A spacer/wheel bearing adapter. Letting you use the stock bearings from a Chevelle. The inner bearing from a Chevelle is a set 6 with an ID of 1.25" To make this kit work on my spindles I would have to machine my spindle down to fit this. The bearing inner bearing that fits on my spindle is a set 5 with an I.D. of 1.40ish. The point I am trying to make is the kit will not fit you cannot slide the adapter and bearing over my spindle. The shaft is too large

14. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

That's what she said

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

How about a TRADITIONAL outlook on this problem ?

Throw that Shit away & Locate some F-1, F-100, Or Lincoln Bendix brakes and do your Hot Rod some Justice.

Cobbled up Disk Brakes look like Shit on a Hot Rod Anyway.

The weight of a Hot Rod DOES NOT warrent the use of Disk's anyway.

I don't understand why people make the project harder than it has to be:confused:

16. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

That is my next step. I am getting tired of this disk brake crap.

anybody have a set of spindles and brakes they want to get rid of???

17. I have the complete set-up---backing plates, drums, inner and outer wheel bearings, wheel cylinders, and shoes for 1940 Ford front brakes. the shoes need new linings. $200 and you pay shipping.---Brian
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    SEMO likes this.
  18. ECIGUY

ECIGUY

Piece of trivia for you. We have come across Canadian Ford spindles that use a 1.312 inner bearing. 48-56 Ford 1/2 ton p/u also used the same inner bearing but a 3/4 outer.

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

OK...you have a set of those weird spindles that ECIguy is talking about.
    Machine it and use the kit?

20. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Maybe this will help......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Heres the P&J aftermarket version of the round back Ford spindle.
    Look the same to you????
    Sure don't to me!

[​IMG]

I don't know what yours are from but they aren't the "normal" round backs...

22. Take a look for a disc brake article in the archives titled, "Got Brakes?"

There's a list of GM brake rotors and calipers that go together on the 37-41 Ford spindles.

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

True! But do you think they'll fit HIS "roundback" spindles!?!?
    Looking at the pics I doubt it.

24. Don't know, didn't notice the way short spindle.:eek::)

I wonder if that's Econoline or Chevy or Volvo....:confused:

25. Nocero

Nocero

I'm not sure what you have there but finned buick drums take a 3 and a 5 for bearings and have a 5 on 5 pattern, if the spacing is right your set up for traditional brakes already.

26. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I have ditched the spindles and disk brake cluster F*#K assembly. I have new forged spindles and drum brakes on the way.