Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I agree....I wanted to say that but was afraid some of the old timers would jump on me because of the bracket racing foremat. The appearance is the important part besides the fun factor. It would sure eliminate a lot of expense and head aches.

2. colesy

colesy

Tony Janes wrote:
    Thank you for the picture. This picture was taken at the 1963 Winternationals not 1964 Winternationals. Note the flagman on the right side. The 63 Winters was the last national meet run without the Christmas tree. Ron Roger is listed as the class winner, he is the near car in the picture. Irwin Thaler is in the #677 car. In post 2781 page 140 Irwin says "we won the Winternationals. I suspect there was a technical dq that was not picked up in the results

Thanks Tony. That info was taken from the Hot Rod magazine web site. They obviously had the year wrong.I'll have a search through my old mags and post what I find on the 64 Winters. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

3. colesy

colesy

I love it when we get a positive I.D. on cars from back in the day. We should maybe make-up a list of those cars that have yet to be indentified since new folks keep joining up here. Welcome aboard qwiked. Any more info on Ernie? Was the Pontiac a 62 Super Duty?

4. colesy

colesy

If that's the case, just run IHRA Pure Stock. They still allow 55 and up in Stock and I'm certain IHRA would be very receptive to the idea if enough guys are interested. From what I understand they are a very cooperative group and still have a great deal of respect for the sportsman racer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  5. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

They allow any combo that they have specs for. I gave them copies of ALL of my tech specs before I quit working for them after a 22 year career. When you run IHRA your still paying HIGH dollar entry fees and are subject to tear downs (Basic checks) but they still dont check duration, overlap, valve spring pressures. Its no less expensive and a pain than running NHRA stock other than they (IHRA) are more racer friendly. Yes they were receptive to new ideas when Bill Bader owned the deal and ran the show but in todays economy and new owners its a different association. Thanks to Bill Bader I was able to start "TOP STOCK" years ago before it turned into a "Bastard" class and later dropped to no title rights sponsor. I also install a few new classes like the crate motored cars in stock elim. . Pure stock was on the way out and I managed to keep it alive by combining it into stock eliminator but most regular stocker racers hate it because they dont know how many are cheating because of the lack of tech and soft index's. The pure stock classes also include the NEW cars with FI, computers, low HP ratings, etc. and who on this site cares for that. In all the years I have only seen one 55 chevy and one 57 Chevy along with one lone 63 Max wedge Mopar in "A" running pure stock as far as the old Jr. stock cars go. The rest were late model junk. With all of the "circus acts" going on at a race along with oil downs from the so called Pro's and 4 day weekends to get a race in one just might as well run current rules in todays NHRA and IHRA stock. I guess it all boils down to "what ever makes your skirt blow up" !

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  6. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

The "claimer" engines,the 71 and earlier style rules,rear replacements allowed : all good stuff. The East Coast Gassers DO have a good time and put on quite a show as previously stated here.I wonder how many of these Junior Stockers will be built/restored /cloned to make a program feasible?? Thanks

7. keithlandies

keithlandies
    from Chardon

Does anyone have any information about a John Yurkiw and a '57 chevy? I am trying to find out more information and am looking for photos.

8. NMCA and NSCA had something like this in the late 90's.
    It was called Nostalgia Junior Stock . I think Travis Miller was involved with the rules making.
    It was run much like Nostalgia Super Stock, That is, basic appearance rules , indexed classes (15.50 down to 11.00 , I think) Zero breakout allowed.
    It didn't take long to become a bastardized farce, full of Bracket Two cars.
    The idea was to have a class that emulated to Jr Stockers of yesterday.
    Trouble was , very few wanted to follow the spirit of the rules.
    One guy showed up with a 66 Chevy II with a dual feed carburetor and an automatic, and racing seats. A few of us tried to keep it under control.
    We told him if you were going to replicate a 350 horse car, it would have to have a single inlet 600 style carb and a 4 speed. Of course he said no way to the trans.
    Then we told him to put a Qjet on it and claim it as a 275 hp car. He looked at us like we were from Mars or something.
    Of course they let him race. Mighta had something to do with the fact he was the Chaplain for the association.
    Pretty soon the car counts began to drop at the farther away venues like Atlanta, so they would let local bracket cars run,...hood scoops and all.
    Next thing you know ,they changed the class to Nostalgia Muscle car or something. The original concept went by the wayside.
    If you guys want to start something up again like the original NJS, I'll be glad to help . Of course it'll be an east of the Mississsipi deal , so I wouldn't be able to play, but I 'd love to see it, done right.

9. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

You mean John Yurkin of Cleveland. He was around for a few year in the mid sixties and then disappeared. 1957 Chevy 150 283 ci 283 HP.

10. colesy

colesy

Welcome to the group Keith. I see John Yurkiw is on the list of Junior Stock racers that Steve put together so someone here must know more about John. Can anyone help Keith with some information?

11. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

markyac do you have anything close to a jr stock class at the nostalgia drags you promote? if you were to try to promote a jr stock show how would you set up the classes and what type of rules do you think would work? (im askeing because you promote races and you might have a good idea what might work)

12. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Yea Bill, someone 'nominated' John Yurkiw, just in the the last couple of months. And (by the way) RE: our 'List' http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3863001&postcount=2510 ... there are 'few racers that should have their NHRA Division numbers identified. Can anyone help out? See below ...

John Burkholder (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Bob Burkitt (62 Dodge) NHRA Division ?
    Dick Butler (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Hubert Buttry (62 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Jon Calander (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Caruso Brothers (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Frank Catone (68 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    John Cesareo (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Phil Chisholm (62 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Conners (67 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Frank Cottone (69 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Darrell Davis (62 Dodge) NHRA Division ?
    Troy Dennis (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Bob Dwyer (51 Studebaker) NHRA Division ?
    Everett & Tindall (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    John Feistritzer (57 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Stan Fox (62 Plymouth) NHRA Division ?
    John Frith (57 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Burl Froelich (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Frank Good (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Goodson Bros (57 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Don Harris (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Hickernell, Sperry & Bolton (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Dave Hinkel (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Dennis Hogue (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Frank Katick (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Dallas Kelly (67 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Dan Kyle (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Lischke & Ballinger (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Tom Longnecker (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Jack Martin (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Ed McGlawhorn (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Bill Moore (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Harry Neide (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Brock & Nelson (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Chuck Norton (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Bob Nottingham (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Dick Ogles (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Obert & Graham (61 Dodge) NHRA Division ?
    Al & Bev Provoast (60 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Hubert Pulley (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Pat Riccardi (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Joe Righthouse (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Ron Rizzo (69 Plymouth) NHRA Division ?
    Fred Robinson (53 Studebaker) NHRA Division ?
    Nunzi Romano (62 Pontiac) NHRA Division ?
    Bill Russell (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Bob Slater (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Marv Smith (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Paul Stensland (57 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Stokes & Ferrara (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Fred Suloff (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Phil Szupka (56 Pontiac) NHRA Division ?
    Tinsley & Culley (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Paul Turner (57 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Arlen Vanke (65 Pontiac) NHRA Division ?
    Johnny Wade (50 Oldsmobile) NHRA Division ?
    Larry Walker (57 Ford) NHRA Division ?
    Larry Watson (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Whitney & Price (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Wilder & Cowles (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Ed Wright (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?
    Joe Wright (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division ?

13. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I'm pretty sure about these.

Bob Burkitt (62 Dodge) NHRA Division 3
    Dick Butler (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Troy Dennis (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 2
    Goodson Bros (57 Ford) NHRA Division 2
    Hickernell, Sperry & Bolton (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Dallas Kelly (67 Ford) NHRA Division 3
    Dan Kyle (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Lischke & Ballinger (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Tom Longnecker (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Ed McGlawhorn (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 2
    Chuck Norton (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 7
    Dick Ogles (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Hubert Pulley (59 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 2
    Joe Righthouse (69 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3
    Nunzi Romano (62 Pontiac) NHRA Division 1
    Stokes & Ferrara (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 1
    Fred Suloff (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 1
    Phil Szupka (56 Pontiac) NHRA Division 1
    Tinsley & Culley (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 2
    Ed Wright (56 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 4

14. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

John Burkholder (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 1 (before he moved to CA)
    Frank Catone (68 Ford) NHRA Division 1
    Harry Neide (57 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 1
    Brock & Nelson (55 Chevrolet) NHRA Division 3 (I think)
    Arlen Vanke (65 Pontiac) NHRA Division 3

15. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Hi Mark....That was the problem with the NMCA. Most cars went way off track of what they were supposed to look like. Same deal with MANDRA. Wild paint, modern wheels, large hood scoops that didnt even exist back in the day and 2 steps, trans breaks, . It would be nice to get something going but Im afraid with todays economy and the age of most original Jr. stock racers its probably not in the cards. "57 Deliverys" piece looks the part and "Jr stocks" yellow 57 looks great even with the american wheels. (Cragar S/S would look more the part) and a few would build clones but not enough cars would show up at a race Im afraid. Travel is another problem. It seems that most nostalgia races are around the mid atlantic area. Lets keep pounding away at the idea and see what may happen in the future. Who knows!
    Terry

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  16. Super Tom

Super Tom
    from cent. nj

Tom, I think the other Frank Cottone (69 Ford) is Div. 1 &
    I'm sure of Pat Riccardi (57 Chevy) is div.1

Thanks,
    Super Tom Larson

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

RE: NHRA Division Numbers

Thanks guys ... I added the missing NHRA Division information (to *post # 2510) that you provided. And I'll continue to 'update' that *post from time-to-time, as more information is provided.

18. janet

janet
    from USA

pretty sure about these

19. jkperformance

jkperformance

John Feistritzer, Paul Turner, Fred Robinson ( B/S ex Glidden 65 Galaxie) and Hickernell & Sperry were all Div. 3

20. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Larry Walker blown 57 Ford Custom Div 7.

21. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Arlen Vanke Div 3
    Al Provost Div 3

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

OK Guys, Who is going? And on which day?

23. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

I'll be there.....and looking forward to it!!! My biggest concern is are name tags going to be used? I'm quite sure that I won't recognize anybody from 40 years ago!!

Skip Asay

24. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

I'll be there with wearing my "GREEN GIANT" T shirt.
    Ken

25. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I will be there Saturday after going to Chryslers of Carlise on Friday. I never miss it. You will probably find me drooling on the 63 "Old Reliable" Z-11.....lol.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  26. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I will get there Thursday afternoon and will see if Darwin has the place set aside that he promised. It will be my pleasure to provide some name tags and I will see if I can get a banner or sign made to take along. I will also take my lap top with photos.

27. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Terry,

Here is a photo from the first time I saw the car, the 1979 Super Stock Nationals at York.

Attached Files:

28. mrgtojudge

mrgtojudge
    from NJ

At this point, I'll be there Saturday with Carl Bennett and Bernie Agaman, and maybe Ron Sirianni.

29. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Thanks for the photo.....The FIRST TIME I ever saw it was in 1963 at Aquasco speedway in southern Md. Strickler had a $100 bounty on his head from the track and I think every Max Wedge that was ever made was there that day trying to beat him. None ever did that day. He took them all on. A guy from Baltimore with a red 63 Alu. front end Plymouth named Vernon Rowley came the closest.

30. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Rose and i went for a short ride yesterday! 307 4bbl and 10 yr old gas mixed with leftover 30 yr old gas,and she STILL gets it down the road!