Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lookey what I got for a project!! (Hyfire Poly!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfhound423, May 10, 2009.

1. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

2. Anyone ever run an Offy 3372 on one of these (3x2 intake), or on a similar engine? I have an itch to see what it looks like with a 3x2 on top of it, rather than the old wheezey 2brl. I might settle for a 2x2... if Offy still makes them! Thoughts?

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gonna' be awesome! keep going!! Don't buy cheap sockets! HAHA! ;)

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wolfhound, congrats on a nice, unusual motor. FYI, I noticed you had your caliper on the ridge of the cylinder bore, which would show an unworn cylinder, because the rings don't go up that high. Just below that ridge is where the rings ride, and is one of the places the bore should be measured. If you've got it at the machine shop, they'll measure it for you. It'd be nice to not have to bore, but given the amount of sludge in the motor it's probably got a little wear in the bores. Have fun with it, they're neat old motors.

And they're heavy! Be careful with that engine stand, especially with the BEvERage retriever helping you out.

5. doliak

doliak

If offy made the intake you can still get it, they claim you can get any product they ever made.

6. Ebb - yeah, I had a buddy point that out too. I wasn't calipering it to gauge wear, but only to differentiate it from its 241 cu/in cousin, also available that year. The 240 has a 3.44 in bore, while the 260 has a 3.56 in bore. I just wanted to make sure I had the animal I thought I had. :) I also plan on heading out to get a real engine stand tomorrow as well. That $39 piece of crap will probably not survive the build, and I certainly don't want it tipping over on my prime gopher and stereo adjuster! As Scooter also pointed out, it would be a shame to have it all put back together, only to have it do a nosedive into the concrete on the garage floor. Many tears would be shed over that!

I dropped her off (block, heads, intake, valley and oil pans...the whole rusty mess) at Bud's in Lakewood to have her hot tanked and magged. He said to drop back by on Wed and we'll have a look at what else needs trimming, honing, or polishing. I trust him to have a thorough look at it after it comes out of the bath. I'm budgeting (scrimping on the beer here and there) to have the heads opened up a little while she's all apart, and I'll probably need a few surfaces cleaned up for a tight fit as well. I imagine there are any number of scary things that may be lurking in that gunky block, but besides being a little dry up top, it looked pretty good to me. There were no obvious metal shavings in the oil I drained out of her, and everything in there was good and tight when I pulled her apart. Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist? We'll see on Wednesday...!

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Hey pete. When i got the motor, i yanked the heads and intake off, and ran em through the solvent tank to get em cleaned. Thats why their so clean. Never got around to the motor, because of bugeting constraints. I had no use for it , and it was taking up my cart.

Good to see this thing is gettin a full massage!

8. Weasel

Weasel

I'm thinking a full house Hilborn set up would look wild on that with the scalloped covers - but then again maybe I am a little weird...

Weiand made a 4-2 intake for the low deck Red Rams and there is even a very rare 6-2 intake.

[​IMG]

9. The motor came out of the dip tank looking a lot better. They cast the blocks out of some pretty stout stuff back in the 50's. The bottom end is in fairly good shape, and the heads aren't in bad condition. That's where the good news stops. The cylinders are tapered .020, so I'll need to have them bored .030 over. That also means new pistons. While they're at it, I'm going to have them turn the crank .010, run a valve job, and open up/smooth out the intakes a bit. Hey, it's only $$$. BTW - rebuild kits aren't cheap for these motors - ouch! Once they are finished machining, I'll have the distinct pleasure of putting the beast back together with Thing #1. Maybe he'll decide to go to a trade school rather than some really expensive college, and he'll look back on this as his turning point. Or maybe he'll be the only kid at Harvard who ever tore down an engine!

10. PoPo

PoPo

I like your idea of doing something different!!! great story man I can't wait to see a pic of you and your son putting the final bolt in there to get it shoehorned in!

11. Picked up a bunch of parts at the machine shop today. They look SO much better after getting hot tanked. (check the before and after shot of the heads!) Now I need to put in some elbow grease into rust removal. The block is getting bored and honed this week, as is the crank. The cam is also getting a nice regrind, which will help a bit. I'm going to have to sell some plasma, or put the BEvERage fetcher out in a lemonade stand to fund this rebuild! Yipes. While it's helpful that Egge has pistons for a 260 Poly bored .030, they do want a pile of ca$h for those beauties. Sigh.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SWEEET!! Hurry up!!! I want to see this thing come together!!!

13. The more I hurry, the more it's costing me!!! If you want to see it come together a little faster, feel free to drop some shekels in an envelope and send them my way!!! Otherwise, it's going to go a little slower, so my budget isn't blown, and I don't wind up living in the back seat of my car1

14. I know machinists have to make a living, but this build is going to wreck my beer budget. I needed to save a few shekels, so I decided to try a little head polishing myself. I read a bit on the boards and elsewhere about the small gain that can be had by polishing the exhaust ports. As you can see in the "before" pics, they are some pretty rough exits - all kinds of casting marks and spall left hanging out. I'm guessing this impedes a speedy exit slightly. So - while I wait for the block to be bored our .030 over and the cam/crank to be reground, I figured I'd clean up the exhaust ports a bit myself. I know not to take too much out... just trying to smooth out the ugly bumps and irregularities. Maybe the gain will be negligible, but it beats walking around in circles or mowing grass. The worst day in the garage is better than the best day doing yardwork!

Attached Files:

15. was cleaning up one of the exhaust manifolds today and found a spectacular bit of old welding. I knew the exhaust manifold had been cracked and repaired (Marty showed me), but until I blasted off a ton of old crud and rust, I had no idea what a classy job somebody did. Nickel, I believe! Check it out!

Attached Files:

16. Taking a whole stack of stuff to the sand blaster today! Yes - he's open on Sunday because the economy sucks and he's trying to keep from starving to death. Here are the before pictures... and I can't wait to see how they are changed when I get them back! Anyone have any recommendation on Hi-temp paint for engine externals??? The engine was originally silver (so I have read/ seen on the block), and I think that will be its "rebuilt" color as well. Thoughts??

Attached Files:

17. Finally had a little time to get things done. I went by the machine shop today, and the cam and crank are done. The block has been bored, but he's waiting on the Egge pistons to land before he hones it the last few thousandths. I managed to also get my stuff from the sandblaster today, and boy does it look a heck of a lot better! He didn't want to touch the valley pan, for fear media would get trapped in there, so it looks like I'll be cleaning that bugger by hand. Check out the pics - that stuff looks darned near brand new! As soon as I clean/blast off the media remnants, I'll paint it all silver with some high temp paint I just picked up. I even got a can of high temp header paint for the exhaust manifolds. The can says to bake the exhaust several times at several different temps (up to 600 deg)... so I hope my wife isn't planning on making any cakes this weekend!!!

Attached Files:

18. Been slow getting after the motor, as I have spent the past 3 weeks in SOF Jumpmaster course. I survived, even being the oldest guy in the course, but I paid the price - parachuted on to my rucksack Wed night and boy did that hurt. Heck, it's nothing a little Motrin and beer won't fix. Anyway, I had yesterday off so I dropped the heads off at the machine shop to let them work their magic. The pistons still aren't in from Egge yet - they are having to custom machine .030 over slugs for my oddball engine, so it's taking a while. The awesome news is, my wife and kids got me the best Father's Day present ever... an Offy 2X2 for the Hyfire. They asked what I wanted, and I told them. Well, we called Dan at Exeter Auto Supply yesterday, and he had one left! It is in the mail as I type this, and I can't wait to get my grubby claws on it! Today I get to go out back out to the garage to change the shocks and adjust the alignment a little so Blue is ready to cruise (smoothly) down to Chehailis for Billetproof next week.

19. Just picked up 2 more goodies - a pair of Stromberg 97 cores. Put those babies on top of the Offy that is on the way (after I rebuild them, of course), and we'll be in business! Project Hyfire is gathering steam. Now out to the garage to clean off and paint the stuff I got back from the sandblaster. So far, I am having an AWESOME Father's day.

20. Managed to clean, sand, and paint some of the engine pieces today. They were languishing in the garage after I got them back from the sandblaster a few days ago, and they were already starting to get a case of flash rust (darned Pacific Northwet)... so I figured I'd get after them. I cleaned the media residue off of them, sprayed them with carb cleaner, wiped them down, and then blasted every last particle off with the high pressure air gun. Once they were all clean and dry, I took them out in the alley and painted them with some high temp engine paint. I think they look so much better now. My only regret was that I didn't get them all done, as a huge thunderstorm swept into the area and chased me back inside. I thought better of using carb cleaner, engine paint, and compressed air in the garage. Now, it's time for beer and steak in celebration of Father's Day!

Attached Files:

21. swifty

swifty

Keep at it wolfhound, great to see those polys getting used. I'm a poly fan myself but mine are the later 318 variety which we had a few of here in Oz.

BTW check out the early poly pic in Mazoomas post on the Antique Nats.

swifty

22. Something just brightened my day. I'm home sick with a vicious case of strep throat (thanks to my youngest for bringing that home to share), but the UPS man just brought me something beyond cool. Check this out! My Offenhauser 2x2 from Exeter Auto Supply just landed, and boy, oh boy, is she ppuurrddyy. I can't wait to get those 2 Strom-97 cores in and start rebuilding them. Gonna' be so sweeeeet!

Attached Files:

23. tragic59

tragic59

Wolfhound423, that motor is gonna be bad-ass. I love the poly's and hope to have one in a car myself someday.

I noticed your tranny search on your quote. You might want to add flat 6 trannies to your list there. I understand that the flatties and early hemi's bolted up to the same bellhousings. That might make your search a little easier, as many people who were springing for a V-8 back in the day would also spring for an automatic. So, just by that logic there would be alot more flatties with the 3 speed OD units behind them...

Where can I see some pics of your car? It looks great.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I have a good '55 Imperial 2spd Powerflite, complete with the cooling system. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you think you can use it. Or maybe a Hamb relay. I'll be glad to stop kicking it! :D

Those little Polys sure make good looking engines, really like that dual carb setup you got there. :cool:

25. I have the original flat-6 3spd column shift which, if all else fails, will bolt right up. God bless Mopar/Plymouth for being cheapskates and holding with one bellhousing pattern for darned near everything. I just know I won't be able to put my foot in it tooo much with the std tranny and rear end, lest I twist and scatter metal. Maybe I'll find an OD further down the line and swap in an old 8 3/4" rear... might make it a little more fun!

As for pics of "Big Blue," here ya go!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Its gonna be nice! Glad I found this thread, I'd like to watch

27. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

That figures im building a 354 poly and thats what im looking for.....so close to the house too.DOH!!!

28. pickupman55

pickupman55

Here are some shots of my 260 Poly

Attached Files:

29. pickupman55

pickupman55

Let me know how that intake works out for you, I might want to put one on mine.

30. This is a cool thread. Looking forward to more updates.