Register now to get rid of these ads!

50' versus '50

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by patrick66, Jun 21, 2009.

1. 50' Chevy means a Chevrolet that is 50 feet in length.

'50 means a 1950 Chevrolet.

Think "sale" and "sell". "Winch", "wench", and "wrench". I'm going to sell my car...not "I'm going to sale my car". My car is for sale, NOT for sell. When was the last time you saw a "For Sell" sign for sale at the store???

My trailer has a 5,000-pound winch on it. Sometimes, the wench next door bitches about my cars. I'm going to wrench on the car today.

Just one of those days.

2. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Are you Okay ?? :)

3. I just get tired of seeing stuff like that in ads, and in forums. It's far too easy to get things right the first time.

Other than that, it's all OK.

4. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I know what you mean.. Hope you day is going well..

5. This is one of the curses of being an English major, to be perpetually perturbed by people who confuse similar-sounding words. I have a colleague at work who torments me by confusing the words formerly and formally, as in "Mr. Jones was formally employed in a carpet mill." I have this ludicrous mental image of a guy in a tux running a tufting machine.

6. sun down

sun down
    from tx

if you decided you wanted to sell your Hudson but before you put
    a for sale sign on it you would consider a trade for my 52
    then I would be sold on that deal............

Patrick, the air in the 52 is working great in this near 100 degree weather.. sure would be cool to drive........lol..

take care my friend,
    Fred

7. Hey Fred! You know that is what I'm shooting for!!!

8. RichG

RichG

I don't know, it can be entertaining trying to decipher illiterate diatribes:D

My favorite find today: a "school teacher" posted "You're a$$hole is showing again". You've got to love it..."You are a$$hole is showing again".:p I think there might be a hidden message in there, somewhere:D

9. Africawim

Africawim

Lol....had a similar rant today...people posting there car's on sights expecting me too taken them serious & drive to them too look at it when they cant make the effort too sea if the ad reads ok/makes sence in any way before hitting "POST".......lol.....ugh!

10. Maybe he was a guy in a tux with a 5000 wench on his trailer. That's something you sure wouldn't want to drive!! After all, it sounds like a sight at some of the car shows in the last 10 years.

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You're correct with your observations. LOL

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sell vs sale... like fingernails on a chalkboard.

13. kustombypook

kustombypook

I hate it when people can't get "their" and "there" or "theirs" and "there's" correct.

14. belair

belair

And PLEASE stop putting an apostrophe on words that are just plural.

15. sun down

sun down
    from tx

Africa, you thought this old/ole 68 guy would not notice when you stated,

when they cant make the effort too sea if the ad reads ok/makes sence in any way before hitting "POST".......lol.....ugh!

I am one of the worst with grammar and not proof reading what I type..

I will try to do better............but I do know how to sail something...........lol

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thead Moved.

I'm not sure this is the place for it either, but at least it's not cluttering up the Main Board...

17. Cluttering???:D:D:D:D:D:D

I just wish people would put a little effort at literacy when they write something. That's all my post is about. And having some fun with it, at the same time. I understand the move, though.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

For all of us to understand eachother, and have the most efficient flow of Information, its essential to agree on one language.

But it seems to me, the acctual Information is more important than a flawless literary presentation...

19. 73RR

73RR

...and please don't forget the folks that 'prolly' didn't do well in high school english class...:D
    Sometimes the goofs are funny, mostly just sad.

20. Sad is a better descriptor of the illiteracy problem. It takes just a little effort to sound reasonably educated, versus sounding like a fifth-grade dropout.

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

If a fifth-grade dropout is knowledgeable enough about Trad Hot Rods & Customs, I'm interested in what he has to say... :)

22. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

"i'm the decider"

23. As long as he can make himself understood, fine. But, LEARN TO SPELL! It isn't that hard to do, really. That extra effort may mean the difference between that person being ignored or chided, or being recognized as being knowledgeable in a subject.

24. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

From Cambridge University .

Olny srmat poelpe can raed tihs.
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, t he olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  25. RichG

RichG

^^^^^^^^that still weirds me out!^^^^^^^^

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

and the word is lose not loose. I am going to lose my storage building, not loose my storage building.

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

28. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

This is good shit, I can't handle people the cant spell or pronounce things, like "to" and "too", "their", "they're" and "there". That shit burns my balls!

29. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

ahhh..

wench, wench, wench,,,

:D