Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air Ride Set-up Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibob, Jun 19, 2009.

1. That's some nice work! and beautiful too...

2. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

temporary but i put this together last weekend[​IMG]

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A few shots. Gary

Attached Files:

4. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

this is probably a dumb question.....but...ive always been totally lost when it comes to air ride.

i have a 49merc channeled over a 78 buick frame that the body has not been dropped anywhere near as low as it could go. like 6 or 7" lower probably?? if i did lower the body onto the frame, then i installed air bags, will the air bags lift the car? i mean....would i set it up to be empty at "ride height" then put air in to raise it above "ride height"? "right hight" would be sick low if i lower it all the way to where it is channeled. u follow me?

i guess what i am saying is....if i drop the body of my merc to the frame, it would be to low to drive. so then i would install air ride to raise it up when moving and empty them when stopped?

i confused myself, so if you understand...please answer!

Thanks,
    Chris

Attached Files:

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You guys should have known this was coming (or if you didn't, HELLO) but what exactly does this have to do with traditional hot rods and traditional customs. The operative word here is TRADITIONAL.
    If Ryan gives this his blessing then the time honored theme of this board is headed for the toilet. There are plenty of other boards that welcome this topic........................GO THERE!!!!!
    I'm here for reversed eye springs, flatheads, split bones, and Stromberg 97's. Yes, I'm old, opinionated, and focused so I'm going to watch and see if this thread stands.

Frank

6. Turbo442

Turbo442

Yes

7. Turbo442

Turbo442

I see your point but I think it may pass as it has more to do with fabrication than anything else really.

8. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

My 55

Attached Files:

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Please don't use the "bags are for groceries line". Cadillac was using air suspension in the 50's so I'd say yes bags are traditional. Besides, that would be like saying blowers are only good for yard work.

10. Wicked50

Wicked50

I say to each his own

11. The Ala Kart had air bags in 1959.

12. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

The word tradition comes from the Latin traditionem, acc. of traditio which means "handing over, passing on", and is used in a number of ways in the English language:

1. Beliefs or customs taught by one generation to the next, often orally. For example, we can speak of the tradition of sending birth announcements.
    2. A set of customs or practices. For example, we can speak of Christmas traditions.
    3. A broad religious movement made up of religious denominations or church bodies that have a common history, customs, culture, and, to some extent, body of teachings. For example, one can speak of Islam's Sufi tradition or Christianity's Lutheran tradition.
    4. even air ride if someone wants to learn about how to install properly.
    people may want to do things to THEIR cars that you would NEVER do to your own car. might even do things...things that you wish they would NOT do to their own cars, doesnt change the tradition?? the tradition of customizing cars!?!

traditionally speaking....cars have, and will continue to... change! they will always get changed or customized from the factory production. The only traditional thing in the "world of customizing" cars is that, people will customize THEIR cars for whatever reason and however they see fit!?! at least that has been the tradition up to this point.

wonder if the "original custom" builders of the world would get soooo hung up on "if its traditional(not by definition, but by attitude)", as some of the people on this board do?

in short...relax! dont read if not interested. relax! air ride might make the difference in me getting my car in and out of the drive way!?!? seriously!

13. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thread police?? IMO you should just move on and let Ryan monitor what should and should not be posted!! I never ever post this kind of stuff as it's very unnecessary, but I'm so sick of people like you and I'm sure I'm not alone!! Grow up old grumpy F#$@%!!! :mad:

Ian

14. southern iron

southern iron

the notch angel is 22 1/2" *...would make it alot stronger .you would be able to weld 4 sides of the tube insted of just one

15. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Well said, I agree, there are a lot of people who could get a little help w/a good thread on the subject. Please on w/pics.....

Besides, low is "trad."

Rod and custom 1958 [​IMG]

16. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

if anyone was took look close at the pictures of my car....they would know how bad i needed this post!!

"Kant spell" answered ALL my questions on this topic through PM. a ton of help...Thanks to him and you all for the pics. the old man go can move on to other post.

proceed!

Chris

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Great example!! Right on!!
    Ian

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The HAMB is sprinkled full of stock cars, sprint cars, vintage sports cars, vintage oval cars, trucks, straight line cars, dragsters, customs wild to mild, hot rods, automotive history, street rods, boats, rodent rods, bobber stuff, motorcycles, airplanes, nose art, flaked paint, cools stuff, dumb ass stuff, etc etc. Check out some of the most popular threads - they have nothing to do with traditional hot rods. Life goes on. I LIKE IT ALL! Gary

19. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

Laidout53 you give me inspiration brother your truck is sweet! what set up are you running in the front?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. thanks slicknapier, up front it a mustang II from fatman fabrications. got the lower arms from speedway, and i made the upper bag cups....

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Air ride was being experimanted with in the 30's,Cadillac used them in production starting in 1957 with the Eldorado and ended it production wise in 1960,but by that time a few magazines had already posted about modifying and swapping the system over to every other make and model.There's been threads here before about,but then some uppity cry baby comes along that can't leave well enough alone,and makes a big stink and the thread gets pulled.While you may be here for what you're here for,there's many more people here than just you

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  22. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Yes,more ammo for my research.Actually,if anyone else has info,please PM me pics from old magazines with articles about some of the rides back in the day with air ride.

23. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Just in case you need glasses to read,these will be big,saved them from a thread that got shut down due to whiners:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The caption below the pic of the 30's body on the photo below says"Air experiments in the mid-30's led to today's systems.Photo courtesy National Rubber Bureau"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This magazine was released June-July of 1958

24. Wicked50

Wicked50

HAHAHAHA I bet that this is still not enough proof that air bags on cars have been around for 50 years

25. In around 1974 or 1975 i did my first bagged car on a chopped 56 chevy. Looking back on it now that was one buched up bag job but it did work well. It was not nothing new at the time just very uncommon. You had to figure it all out yourself and then fab every thing. Most were into hydros at that time but i never like the ride with them so they did not impress me much. I realy liked the ride quailty of a bagged car and had done quite a few for myself by the early 80's. I was getting asked to bag quite a few cars back then so i checked into some product lieabilty insurance but the money they wanted was way to much for me.

26. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Awesome Hooligan!!

Ian

27. Hooligan63 That article is so cool!!!

28. ray

ray
    from colorado

you've been here long enough, you should know that Ryan's 38 is bagged.

29. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

Here are some pics of my set up in my 52 chevy truck . It's on an s10 chassis. I used the 2 top crossmembers as air tanks. The front crossmemeber has the top bag mounts and the rear crossmember holds the compressor.

Attached Files:

30. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Man all I was hoping for were pictures. Most of the commentaries are good, but you will always have naysayers.

Great looking set-ups on here guys, hopefully I will have one done soon and can post some pics.