Register now to get rid of these ads!

JJ Hydrogen land speed record

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Musico, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im conflicted, its always great to see a new record and in something that has the potential to play a large roll in the worlds future. I however hate the fact that such a tosser did it.
    Doc.

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow!! And it has wheels and everything! More hollywood hype. Geniuses, pure geniuses. Boy, I'm glad he's ok! Nothing like paying forward huh. Hahaha.

3. Where are all the "f'n treehugger" comments?

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

Quite an accomplishment any way you look at it. Congrats to those guys. Thats the true american pioneering spirit that this country needs now more than ever.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I see. Sorry I was so confused. I never thought I'd be able to make that club regardless, but I just thought JJ seemed like he was making a darned fine attempt.

BTW, I've been Mach 1.1 in the back seat of a Navy F-4. I didn't do a thing, just sat there and had fun. There isn't a club for that - no hats or pins or T shirts or roll call of members (hundreds of thousands of fine military pilots have done it). All you do is get up high, push the nose over and hit burner). My XO thought I needed / deserved the ride, so he took me up. It just makes you smile when you do it and proud to say so when telling sea stories, but NOBODY asks you if you did it twice to back it up or tell you that it didn't count because you didn't go Mach 99 or something to break the record for that class jet. Gary

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a fun ride, I scored a ride in a New Zealand A-4 Skyhawk for taking the squadron CO for a tandem parachute jump. We went past Mach1 over Jervis Bay in NSW.
    What I would do to get another ride like that! We were only at about 1000ft at the bottom of a shallow dive. Man did you get a sensation of speed!
    Doc.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kurt Urban has been changing the rules for decades. A lifetime ago he was one of the fasest street racers around. I'm realy happy that he got be involved in this gig. He deserves it. Way to go bro...

Jocko

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

9. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

To much hype for me

10. 85-percent

85-percent

JJ seems like a major player in the reality show world.

Good for him and us, the audience!

I think he comes off great on TV and he seems to be staying humble in spite of all the celebrity heaped on him.

I hope he comes thorough all this celebrity without getting all Michael Jackson on us.

His new show is pretty good and pretty interesting.

I can criticize the 3D graphics of the drag bike. My guess is the artist was damn good at 3D graphics, but didn't know diddly about the inner workings of a drag bike. Cool graphics, but a little too distorted for me.

The 20 year old gal that helps out at our home now and then gave the show high praise, and she's oblivious to car stuff. So, to me that means the show is appealing to average TV goers.

JJ should get Tim Conder's matched set of FEDS and do an episode about old fuel dragsters!

-90% Jimmy

11. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

FYI: For those that think that hydrogen fueled cars will get us away from fossil fuels, you are mistaken at least for the short term. Mass production of hydrogen is being produced primarily from fossil fuels. It is a step in the right direction, but until we find a better way to get hydrogen using nuclear enrgy, sunlight, or micro-organisms (or other renewable and sustainable sources), we are just making the uninformed feel good. Sorry for the OT rant. I will step down from my soap box.

12. gotra66

gotra66

thats awesome. I agree that some day Hydrogen will replace gasoline. That will probable be some time from now. Making hydrogen from water, takes so much energy. Bio diesel is prolly our best option to get away from fossil fuels.

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I stand corrected. It has been pointed out that JJ's car is blown and therefore would run in AA/BFS class at Speedweek. On the Burklands record of 417.020 mph. I still say JJ did good going 199 on the dirt his first time. And I am sure it will go faster. But he is a very long way from a hat as I see it. It's up to the membership of the 2 club what ever they do.

14. Pretty classy bunch, right there. The old timers must be awfully impressed with getting flipped the bird.

Sigh, I feel old now. I remember when shooting someone the finger was meant as an insult. I bet he NEVER gets the Red Hat.

15. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I read the article over on MSN/Auto Week. Those guys worked real hard to get that Chevy engine to run on hydrogen. There was some real engineering going on there. Running an internal combustion engine on hydrogen is a real feat and not as easy as the general public would like to think. Ignition timing, engine cooling, detonation, all of the old bugaboos from the early days of running gasoline. Add to that the problems of feeding the pressurized hydrogen gas to the cylinders without leaks makes the 199 mph run at El Mirage pretty impressive. Remember that hydrogen being the smallest molecule of all the elements makes it very hard to seal and keep contained. I know, I've worked with hydrogen in power plants where they use it as the coolant fluid inside the generator.

My hat's off to Jesse James and the crew. Congrats!

17. Absolute truth about Ronnie Benham. Hell of a guy.

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this rule seems pretty clear...

4) Where there is a record and a minimum in the same class,the higher speed prevails

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think I'm going to start selling "I"m not in the 200 Club" T-shirts. Anyone remember the "NOT ART" stickers after the MOMA motorcycle show? Gary

20. LongT

LongT

Darn I see a Praxair logo on the back. They must have supplied the hydrogen. That is my companies biggest competitor. But we still fueled the Fusion that went 207.

Bill

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My understanding is that Hop Up Magazine started the 200MPH club and a few years later Grant Piston rings took over sponsership. Today I believe it exists on dues. Hop Up now has the "Centery Club" for those who have gone over 100 mph with a flathead four cylinder motor. None of the two way stuff or any of that. I am proud to say that I got the first T shirt from Mark Morton. I don't ever expect to make a Two Club banquet list.

22. Special Ed

Special Ed

Disrespect is simply uncalled for. That's real fucking traditional...

23. budd

budd

i think its great that everyone is talking about different fuels and energy, just about everyone i talk to has an idea about making there own energy, i like hydrogen, my idea is to set up a windmill to create my own hydrogen and ad it to my f250 diesel, why burn the trucks diesel to create hydrogen, go to the source of all the earths energy, the sun, the sun makes the wind, compressed air vehicles are just around the corner to, good on Jesse to get us all talking and thinking, i think thats the reason hes doing this.

24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Jesse got the TV coverage. Hydrogen cars have been on the salt for some time. Ford ran the Hydrogen Fuel Cell car 207mph i believe. And Ohio State has been running thre Buckeye Bullet for some time. Ten or fifteen years ago some guy sponspered his own trophy for Hydrogen powered cars and ran his Hydrogen powered Cobra against 5 or 6 other cars. They all entered a BNI class but without any chance of a record, only cared about how they did against each other. That guy may still be running his Cobra. He ran it a lot. Jimmy Shine wanted to get in the Two club and did. Not as much fan fare. Just a fast roadster. If Jesse sticks with it I bet that car will be much faster. But not 417.

25. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Awsome work guys now go break another record!!!

26. That's kind of cool, but I'm still waiting for the Flatulence Powered Vehicle. Hydrogen is novel, but it's too expensive.

27. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

that idea stinks:D

28. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

29. i think their flipping off all those who said they could'nt do it. don't read more into it than that.

30. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

didnt they do a belly tank a while back also?