Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting a F250 to a dually?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpookyDad, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

Last week somebody decided to rearrange the back end of my F-250 with his Tundra. Needless to say, my truck won.

I have $1200 from the settlement and I have been considering converting my truck to a flatbed. I already have a gooseneck hitch but I am worried about the tongue weight when hauling my military truck. The truck is around 10,000 lbs.

I have a '97 F-250 Heavy Duty Crewcab with a 7.3l diesel and automatic transmission. I have 130,000 miles on the diesel and 40,000 miles on the transmission. I love my truck and I don't want to give it up. It is rated for 14,200 lbs towing and it is hard to find that kind of capacity these days.

How much do you think it will cost to convert it? I have an estimate from General Truck Bodies of $2,300 to $2,700 for the flatbed itself. I am assuming I can sell the box and bedliner for around $1000. The guy at the truck body place said I was looking at a custom bed because the truck has a short box. What other costs am I looking at?

Am I nuts for considering this???

SpookyDad

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

www.chromewheel.com sells dually conversion kits for a number of different trucks. I've bought their stuff before and been happy with it. Just tell people it's on-topic because you need to haul Flatheads around....

4. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

It is on topic because I AM using it to haul my 1944 GMC 6x6 truck around.

SpookyDad

5. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

well then I guess my 2000 land rover, or vintage bmws are on topic because I use them to run to the parts store to get parts for my on topic cars!~

6. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

So are you saying that no car-hauler talk is allowed on here?

I am trying to get some advice from the best group of honest mechanics I know.

SpookyDad

7. phukinartie

phukinartie

I have a 2005 ford f 750 with a 60' altec lift that helps fund my on topic cars and it has a hydralic problem ...... Get the point?Now back to the show:)

8. hemi

hemi

I have a '99 Jetta that I chase parts for my other car in... anyone know what the code is for the little pump that keeps 3lbs of pressure on the return line/tank vent for the EFI is and where I might find a relay, or sensor, or know what caused it to fail? The check engine light will not go out until I fix that... that and my airbag light is on...
    :D

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

no offense but, your 6x6 military truck is hardly on topic itself.
    (although i will say it is cool)
    this is a traditional hot rod site.

10. Here is a very good search engine:

@ http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpmoto

You can use it to find an F350 dually close to where you live :)
    Personally I would not do a dually conversion, your rear end is not rated to handle the additional torque and the towing load
    I would buy another truck built to accommodate your towing needs ;)

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

12. This is based on GM 1-tons. Most duallys use a narrower rearend. Just get a junkyard dually rearend and swap it out. Done easy. The fronts you just need the dually rotors, the spindles and brakes are the same between single and dual wheel.