Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sectioning a 1949 cadillac

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jub, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

Does anyone have pics of a sectioned 49 cad? I am chopping mine 4 inches and was thinking about sectioning it while it is all tore apart, nothing major like 2 inches. Just enough to tell something was done but not drastic. But i am not sure if the car really needs a sectioning though. Thanks

2. What body style?

3. twochops

twochops

use search-49 cadillac chop and sectioned -getting done.
    Fairly new thread

4. I've found the best way to decide is to mark off several inches, photograph the car, get the pick enlarged at kinkos, and go at it with scissors. It's the most realistic idea of what it will look like. Also can give you some clues to problem areas.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009

5. There's an old article that shows Valley Custom sectioning the Polynesian. Check that out. Not an easy project.

6. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Check with resqd37Zep he is in the process of chopping and I think sectioning his 49 fastback caddy . you can check on the kustom Cadillac social group I think he has posted pics there.

7. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

Thanks for the thread, did not see that one. And it is a series 62 4 door

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The Pontiac, done by Valley Custom in the fifties, was sectioned at 5'' I boleve. Study the pictures of it, and than you deside. 4''-5'' is alot of material to remove, but 1 1/2''-2'' would be much work for very little return on a vehicle of that size! Maybe this would be a good time to build a two door from it. It's very doubtful you'd ever get your labor money back on a four door section job at time of resale! I wouldn't section the door skins as Valley Custom did, but the fenders and quarters demand careful study.
    A section job is a very tough job from a time investment basis, figger how much time you figger it will take, than double it, and you'll still be MANY hours short!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

9. Rex is correct. Lots of compound curves there.

10. If any HAMBer lives in or near Flushing MI there is a gentleman who has a sectioned 49 Cadillac hardtop in his garage for sale.Real steep but there is a ton of work in it.Still needs finishing.I don't remember his name offhand but I was in there once laying out some scallops on a friend's car that he was to paint.He also has a 46ish Ford coupe with a mid-80's Chevy(?)grille in it.Been around for years.If anyone knows Chuck Leighton,call him;he is the one who had the scallops done.

11. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

I was just thinking two inches so it would be a subtle difference, three inches would be ok too. I do not want a drastic section like a 4 or 5 inch. The reason I am doing a 4 door is when I find a wagon roof I am going to make a wagon out of it. There is a 49 ambulance near me that I am going to try and get the roof off of.

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sounds like you're going to have as much welding going on, as Kustom7777!
    Please post pics as they are available!

13. Post a good sized side view - let the photoshoppers at it.:)

14. twochops

twochops

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Safarickut---Are you talking about Jack Florence ?

15. Rikster

Rikster

Same style as this four door.. with Chop... Got this photo from another hamber who sold it like this.
    Sorry no time to Photoshop the section right now.... perhaps somebody else?

Great looking car... lots of potential...

[​IMG]

16. Ah - good one Rik. I searched and couldn´t get a clear view. Thanks!

Right then...

17. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Here's a quick and dirty one:):D[​IMG]

18. Dude, that's clean! I had to keep going back and forth to see what you did. My vote is DO IT!

19. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

To me that looks like 3 inch section and I love it. Well I will post pics when I start it, I am very slow at working on it so it might be a while till I post pics. That pic just gave me a whole lot of insperation though.

20. smarg

smarg

Its crazy what people can do now days.

21. I prefer the delivery - looks less hearse like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. twochops

twochops

HEY JAMES D-----you're good

23. Build it & they will come. I like the wagon But with glass

24. That's the guy! Don't know if he still has it but the Caddy has some incredible work in it.

25. Darby

Darby

That sedan delivery photochop is the cat's ass. Build that.

I don't think the section of the 4D works, though. The car is long enough anyway, and the section throws off the balance even more. Makes it too long-looking and the rear fenders start to look like pontoons. My two cents.

26. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    If a Delivery or Wagon look is where you're headed, maybe you'd do well to find a "tin indian'' or Olds wagon and graft the Caddy dog house on to it.
    I "think" Pontiac & Olds wagon's cowls were the same, and probably as large as the Cadillac.

Idea #2: Grab the Caddy "meatwagon", shorten the wheelbase/quarters and chop to suit. Incorperate the Sedan DeVille quarters into the new look.
    Beware- the Caddy ambulance/hearse was built on GM's commerical chassis, and the windshield is much taller than your Sedan DeVille, also much more valuable( worth big bucks to ambi/hearse freeks) don't break it taking it out!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

27. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thats sweet! Someone needs to built this car![​IMG]

28. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I had explained that I sectioned my 49 a little different that most. 2 inch's through the body will make a radical change to the Body proportions. I did a wedge cut on mine. Started with 4 inch's in the rear and came up to about 2 1/4 in the front. But with a 4 inch chop and another 1 3/4 removed below the cab it put the car just about at my ankles. It's a lot of work but like you said, I wanted someone to stand back and say what they hell happened here?

I'll get some better side pictures uploaded for you. It's hard to see the wedge cut at this stage due to the fact the fenders are still uncut and the wheel arch's haven't been lowered yet. So be prepared for a major commitment! Get er done ahd she'll be bad ass!

Attached Files:

29. metalman

metalman

I did a tapered section/chop on a 49 Caddy Sedanette back in the early 90's (Brian Everett's Caddy-O Daddy-O if anyone remembers it) basicly just like resqd37Zep discribed doing his. Right now I have a 49 Olds 98 (same body as the Cad) with a full 3" section/3" chop. Biggest pain was the door pillers, lots of slicing and dicing to get the hinges lined up again. Overall it is a LOT of work, be sure your committed to it before you cut it