Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMP Presents... A Ratty New Series

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Jun 17, 2009.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Neat Piece ... Gotta Have One

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Man that is bitchin!!!

3. bitchin model but the name might insight a riot!

4. 'Looks like a hotrod, a very cool hotrod, definitely not ratty.

5. I think they mislabeled that one. Arduns give me wood!

6. Doesn't look like a '40 Ford dash to me.

8. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Just ordered it. $109

9. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Just needs some spider webs and an iron cross or two.

10. It's too bad that it just confirms how many people don't get the Rat Rod conotation. That is NOT a rat style, just a cool, dare I say "traditional" hot rod.

11. froghawk

froghawk

Wow. A hundred and ten bucks gets you the same model everybody else willing to spend a hundred and ten bucks will have.

Or you could buy it and take it apart and give it a nice paint job and add some more detail and make it your own.

With a $15 Revell kit and some carefullly selected bits from other kits you can build one the way you want in 1/25, and it'll fit on your shelf.

"'40 Ford dash?" WTF?

12. c10addict

c10addict

Pretty damn cool... What a cool job it would be to be a designer for diecast... I could dream up hundreds of bad ass hot rods and customs..

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Good lookin' model , horrible name. They must not have anyone in their marketing department that does research.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I'll spend 110 bucks on a part for my real car..cool model for the shelf...kinda borring if you ask me, Ill pass

15. That GMP stuff is pretty amazing. I have their entire 1:18 vintage dragster series except for the Hawaiian. The detail is incredible. The Ivo 4 engine car is my favorite.

I tell ya ... I've learned that if you can be patient, you can pick up most of these GMP models for a lot less money on eBay. Of course, there is always a chance that GMP will sell out and and not continue the model line, which will limit it's appearance on eBay.

16. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

needs paint and wheels .

17. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Same model in Black available

Attached Files:

18. And I think the black one actually has the aforementioned '40 dash.

19. I know the owner of GMP. I will to send him links to this thread, so he can see your thoughts on it. They are a smaller company here in Ga but all of them that work there are pretty much gearheads.

20. rick finch

rick finch

Tell him to please kill the name of that series!

21. JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
    from Georgia

Hey guys,

Long time lurker first time poster. I'm the design guy at GMP that came up with the concept for this new hot rod. Just as I thought for the most part people are diggin' it and for a couple guys it's not for them which is cool too. The idea behind this hot rod is that it was a barn find, a hot rod built back in the 50's at a fictitious speed shop called Southern Speed and Marine. Once the car was uncovered, some parts were rebuilt, or restored to get the ol' girl runnin'. the idea was to leave as much of the car as original as possible. Nothing wrong with a little petina!

"Doesn't look like a '40 Ford dash to me. "

There's a misprint in the newsletter, it's obviously not a 40 dash and I already showed this to the ad guy.

"It's too bad that it just confirms how many people don't get the Rat Rod conotation. That is NOT a rat style, just a cool, dare I say "traditional" hot rod."

Ya know the definition of what a Rat Rod is will be up for debate long after I'm gone. The conclusion I've come up with based on the hundreds of different perceptions as to what a rat rod is - is that it just depends on who you talk to. Everyone has a slightly different opinion. Some guys don't like the term "rat rod" others embrace it. I try to be accurate and understand the build styles, eras, themes ect. when designing any type of hot rod or muscle car. I research a lot too. One thing is for certain, you'll never make everybody happy and not everyone's gonna like what you build but that's cool, that's what makes things interesting.
    We debated calling this the RAT ROD Series but in the end we decided that we already build "traditional" deuce hot rods and we wanted to set this series apart. We just want to have fun with it and do a short series of deuce hot rods that have that home-built look using whatever parts I have laying around.

Froghawk - yep you could buy the plastic kit and go that route. I've built a few nicely detailed model kits in my day but I have also found that you can sometimes spend almost as much money building one in plastic when you could just buy the diecast one done. Plus the hours it takes to build one and that's if you have the skills to do it?

"Good lookin' model , horrible name. They must not have anyone in their marketing department that does research."

????

Guys, I appreciate the comments, positive criticism is a good thing and will be mindful of the input for the next couple hot rods in this series. If there's some cool details, or themes, or just input you'd like to give on upcoming deuces feel free to contact us or send an email.

Thanks,
    John

gmpdiecast.com

22. belair

belair

Pretty good response. Thanks.

23. Kerry67

Kerry67

It is just a name boys........nothing to get worked up about. "Rat", "Traditional", what-ever as long as it is cool........

24. Weasel

Weasel

Yes, Tom needs to change the name to Jalopy ASAP!!

25. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I have the 1/6 scale GMP Offy & Ardun Flatheads. Would'nt mind seeing a 1/6 scale 3 window to stick them in:)

26. I gotta give the guy credit for stepping up and explaining things to us here. GMP does do very nice work. I've purchased a couple die casts from them including the blue, full fendered "Deuce" and the red, highboy roadster. I'll probably break down and buy the black, slick version of the new 3W coupe. Have to save up my pennies though, they ain't cheap. Oh and by the way, now that we've got the GMP design guy on board, I'm sure he would love to hear all of our HAMB friendly suggestions as to what cars to create next. Let's give him an earful fellas:)

27. I think it looks pretty cool! Nice proportions...

by the way the revell 1/8th scale big Deuce Roadster kit is anywhere from $80-100 depending where you buy it, then you have to build it... I built one and put a 3 stage HOK candy paint job on it, which wasn't cheap just for the materials... looks awesome, but if you don't have the time... this is a good deal I think..

28. JohnnyGMachine!

Nice work on the ratty 32. I dig it. I have one I guess the Franklin Mint did - sort of similar but I don't thinks its as good as that one.

I was at your open house recently. I think I saw one in person then. It was an Awesome time! Thanks for the hospitallity and cool show.

Can you please post a picture of that enormous yellow front engine dragster that was in the case? That thing was freaking awesome! Which office was yours? I saw the one with all the fighter planes hanging from the ceiling. Everything in that place was freaking awesome! I want your job? any openings? I know Tom from the local cruise ins. Hell of a guy for sure! Later - Josh

29. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I don't think a '32 3W could ever be considered a ratrod....regardless of condition....haha!

Looks good though.....GMP makes neat stuff....