Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaky astro supremes,common problem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wfopossum, Jun 15, 2009.

1. wfopossum

wfopossum

I bought a set of used astro supremes and they wouldn't hold air,had to mount em with inner tubes.Is this a common problem with the astro supremes? The guy at the tire store said he's had the same problem before with similar type rims,anyone else experience this issue with these rims?

2. RDR

RDR

not sure on the astros, but have had early steel rims leak air after running radials as the radial tires are more severe on a wheel; they transfer more road shock than bias plys and they grip the road better than bias plys so the wheel will get more of a work out as the vehicle is probably cornered harder cause the tires hold better....most early wheels were riveted and even the welded early wheels are mostly 5/16"...after radials became the norm. steel wheels became 3/8" material and they don't fracture or get small cracks that leak air like the earlier ones....I have had luck coating the drop centers with silicone and the leaks stop which have worked without having to run inner tubes

3. skunx1964

skunx1964

mine hold fine....

4. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Lowriders use a tube of silicone and a plastic spreader to seal the leaks on wire spoke wheels. I've heard of some cast
    wheels being pourous and leaky.
    Sounds like you got a bunk set.

5. cptkid

cptkid

i have been running supremes for quite some time and never had a leak

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Not common at all to have leaks. Take 'em back.

7. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I've got a pair of supremes 15x10 with 29x9.00x15 hoosierdrag slicks on them and they have yet to leak and slicks are know to lose air after sitting for awhile.