Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Sledscene Eat...more pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopolds, Jun 14, 2009.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just got back. I'd say for a new location, the show did very well..better than I expected. I arrived about 11:30 or so, on Saturday, and cars still were pulling in at 2-3:00. I'm not much for drags, but watching the older cars run was pretty nice. Youd be surprosed which cars actually ran well!
    It's a nice location for a show, in a nice town, the hotels were VERY nice, and much less expensive than Gettysburg! Also some cool places to eat/drink there (HAhahaha...Bill, I found a place that had GREAT beers...and you missed it!)
    I can see the show growing there, esp. if the hotels and such, keep the proces reasonable.
    Met some old friends, as well as new ones there...that's the best part of the shows for me, anyway.
    On Sunday, when they gave out the awards, I was really quite surprised at the quality of the winners, given the usual Sunday attendance. There were still some REALLY nice cars there!
    I'll definately go back next year.
    This Merc won best paint....brightest Lime Green I've seen, and I think the mild 54 took a Fine 9.

Attached Files:

2. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Hey Mark,looked like anice event.Glad you had a good time.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Another shot of that super nice Buick. A Lasalle racer that came down from Ontario. And my car alongside the Ford that Slownandlow63 is building.

Attached Files:

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Some custom guys from NY, and our own NJ Kustom Mafia, the O'doyles were in attendance.

Attached Files:

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

How about this gorgeous rod, running a dressed up early Olds? WOW!
    And a slick flamed Chevy.
    Did they make a 58 Camino....there seems to be a few floating around!

Attached Files:

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Olds engine close-up.
    Our own chopperman, and his friend. Both picked up awards...well deserved!

Attached Files:

7. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Love the Elko...
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

This A was really nice, well detailed and truly trad! Won Ol School Rod's pick.
    HAMBer's Caddy....don't worry, we've got Chris convinced he should get a set of wide whites and sombrero's to replace those billet wheels!
    Wildly flamed 54 took best interior, with a matching flamed upholstery job.

Attached Files:

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Another view of Chris's Caddy....this car could have taken any of the "best" awards. It was beautiful!
    Doug Fox always builds fantastic customs...his Olds ragtop is no exception.
    Did I already post this Merc?
    I guess that's it!
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this guy ought to have all his tools taken away so this type of thing dosn't ever happen again:(

[​IMG]

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, that Cad convert would look absolutely stunning with a set of wide whites and sombreros....

R-

12. rick finch

rick finch

This gives a new definition to the word UGLY...guy ought to be beat with his own hat!

13. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

where'd you get the good beer? lol

Damn it was hot. I think it may take a year or two to get attendance back up since its a new location. The racing may draw more people over time.

14. Just got off the phone with Leroy (flat black chevy on left) said he had a great time.

15. 48cad

48cad

Thanks Mark. Lori and I had a ball at the show. Met lots of nice people and had a blast running that Caddy down the strip. I would love to put some Sombreros and WW on the Caddy.....it's just gonna have to wait til we get some more funds. Here's a pic with WW's photoshopped.

Attached Files:

16. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

'58 was the first year for the Elco,and very hard to find and find parts for.Where I grew up,there was a guy that had a '59 and '58 sitting in his front yard,and he finally parted with them.To who,I don't know.

17. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Lambo doors are so cheesy that Lambo's don't even have them anymore

18. Chad s

Chad s

According to some quick research, Chevy never made them. Thats why every 58 el camino looks a bit different. They are usualy made from modifying a 58 station wagon I think.

19. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I think the lambo doors are least of the problem:eek:

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Bingo. '59 was the first year for the Elco

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I guess I was wrong,because I just looked it up too,and '59 was definitely the first year.Wish I would have got my hands on that '58 now,but at the time I was 14 with no cash.

22. I gotta agree with everybody else on this abortion, remember that every car has it's usefullness as it can allways serve as a bad example. Otherwise some pretty nice cars. Thanks for posting.

23. The owner was kind enough to explain that it was created from a '58 2 door wagon. He said that the stainless "halo" trim on the perimeter of the roof came off of a "58 Nomad which was by 1958 a 4-door wagon. It was a very convincing conversion. Looks good enough to be mistaken for a factory production.:)

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Nice work Mark! Maybe there is a future for you as a photographer. ;) From your angle, the show looked really good! Had I rode out in my truck, I probably wouldve stayed a little longer and hit up the beer emporium with you, but we decided it was best to get while the gettin was good.

25. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for posting Mark. I'll go back, had a good time, left a little tire rubber on the strip.

26. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Really? Thats awesome. Stellar showbox and it moves on out. Nice! I kept going back to your car but I couldn't find you, must have been in demand. ;) Next time. Yours and your buddy's '40 were (same as last year) my two favorite, but maybe I'm a bit partial.

27. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Didn't really move out that well, I spun about the first 1/8 mile.

28. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

what kind of vision do guys have who build shit like this? at the end of the build how can the guy step back and say, yeah man, i really nailed it!!! and who buys shit like this and is actually not embarrassed to pull into a show? or even have it in his garage? YUK!!!

29. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I saw this when I was there. Though it might not please everyone, the workmanship, fit and finish, was very good, used some ingenuity and thought to get it to this point. I would have done a few things different but it's not mine!! At a custom show I plan on seeing something different. And I will not publicly pick anyones car apart!!

30. Mark,
    Thanks for posting the pics, 'looks like there were a lot of great cars in attendance, EXCEPT that bizarre LaSalle.....that thing is a nightmare.