Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigChief

BigChief

Its been sitting for a long time (looks much worse in the pics than it really is) and it needs to be cleaned up quite a bit and there are a few things that need to be re-engineered (like the rear suspension for one thing) but the basic car/chassis is there. The body is tabbed to the chassis quite well and its modified/boxed out back. They'll have the seats moved back a little bit and it won't be a model of creature comfort.....but it sure will cook when its done. I'm thinking it'll be a heck of a wheel stander when its done. The guy helping him out with it has a few Datsun Z + SBC swaps under his belt as well as some chassis experience.

Note how well the 10 bolt fits under the freek'n Rabbit like it belongs there.

-Bigchief.

Attached Files:

2. jeff0547

jeff0547

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's great, Bigchief. It reminds me of a story in Hot Rod a few years ago where they put a 500 cu.in. Cadillac engine in a Chevette. What engine does he have planned for it?

Jeff
    in SW FLA

3. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

here a few updated pics of my 57, i needed to cleanup some and make room so i just bolted it together for now

Attached Files:

4. BigChief

BigChief

For now a 350/350 combo with low miles......the 'dad' in me still wants to go pull a few plug wires off once they get it together. Fun but a bit spooky.

5. jeff0547

jeff0547

I'm hoping that you'll get to drive it at least once (before you pull wires). Keep us apprised of the progress. :D

6. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Theres a guy on the intro board doing a vw beetle give him some love.

7. kraka138

kraka138

did you have to strech the frame any? or do any other big modifications to it to get it to work?

8. Lcdman

Lcdman
    from Canada

Ya I know i dont know why i even asked that i was thinking about certain things alot and that question came out the wrong way, the actual question was when aligning the body do i need to mock the engine up at all or anyone know would there be plenty of room yet so i dont need to worry about that till the body is mounted....its been awhile here my work life was takin over so i have very little time to get back here to read or do anything yet in the garage. Anyhow sorry bout the misunderstanding i read that a few times and wondered what i was thinking hahaha.....

Hot Rod Grampa likes this.
  9. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

Anyone done an S-10 frame swap with a 1939 Ford Sedan Deluxe?

10. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

This is "RusticDozer"s car. He convinced me to use an s-10 on the 54 dodge I am building. Running into a few hurdles though...like what to do about the steering. About 7 inches short with a standard s-10 steering column...any suggestions?

11. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Hey Kraka138,
    So far: 1) we had to stretch the fram about 10 inches (but, since I didn't know we got the short s-10. 2) we are having some steering issues, the stock s-10 steeing column is about 7-9 inches to short for the stock dash in the 54 dodge. Anyone have suggestions? 3) we left the stock truck bed back half, so we will have a small flat trunk. 4) the body is being welded to directly to the frame, so the back seat looks like it will have to be modified. That's about it for now.

12. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

13. olyrailman

olyrailman

Jason
    So it would be better to swap for a S-10 frame or try to find an older 67-72 Ford F-250 Frame..

olyrailman

14. I haven't read this whole thread but maybe someone here can answer this,. What is the best rack and pinion to use for an S10 front end. A friend is putting one under a 37 Chevy coupe and the original steering box protrudes through the sheetmetal. He has removes the front of the frame and box but is not sure he will get the right geometry/ackerman with a R&P so I told him I'd ask the experts. What is the most popular R&P swap and does it provide correct geometry?

15. Abomination

Abomination

I say go with the F250 frame in your case.

~Jason

16. Abomination

Abomination

You might find Scott's thread here informative: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317918

~Jason

17. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

Kev,

Unisteer is the ONLY available R&P. http://www.unisteer.com/. And because of that, it is priced like a #$%#$% moon rock.

The "way-too-narrow-ass-frame" of the S-10 precludes anything but the custom Unisteer product. I will however be creating a set of brackets for my frame to use a stock Camaro or Durango R&P. It will include drop brackets to a guided sub slider shaft that will then attach the factory long tie rods. However I am a few months away at best because I need to locate a place to work on the trucks down here and then transport the trucks from Wisconsin.

PM me or email me for details.

18. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Kev,
    Went thru the same deal several months ago with my 40 pickup, searched every forum I could find for a stock rack that would work with the S10 geometry, no luck. Like posted earlier, unisteer make's a rack, but it's a pricey piece. I ended up using a vega box, mounts up to the existing S-10 steering box mount holes, you just gotta turn the pitman arm 180 deg. it's almost twice as small as the stock S-10 box, anyway it solved my clearance problems.
    [​IMG]

19. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

Just wait until he lets the air out of the bags.

20. joel torres

joel torres

Abomination this is an awesome thread i just spent a couple of hours reading it to the end im shocked to see so many people doing chassis swaps i thought i was one of the few this is great i am taking tips from you guys and when i come to a road block i will ask here if ya don't mind i am not using a s10 frame im using a monte carlo but it main goal is the same where all car crazy i made a project page
    83 monte chassis meets 47 plymouth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heres what i did to clear the rear hump
    [​IMG]

21. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Joel,

Cool idea keep us informed with pics and storys....

tell me is the monte not too widt??

22. jbs10

jbs10
    from newport ky

cool doing a 51 truck on a long bed s10 my this is a lot of help.

Attached Files:

23. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

24. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Thirty7, you are doing a fabbed rear frame and 4 bar correct? Do you have pics of that set up? The S10 frame I have is cut at the joint and I would rather do the 4bar or something else other than the stock S10.
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

UndercoverCustoms,
    Here's a few pics, you can follow the link below to my photobucket account & see more............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/reddog37/40 pickup/?start=0

Later,
    Billy

25. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks for posting that!!!!

We all have issue with that damned rear hump... regardless of the chassis!

~Jason

26. this is a great thread! i'm going to add this: s10 isn't a great swap for 38' ford truck as the steering box is in the wrong spot. check out my album shots. the stock frame is the way to go on this build. on 40+ cars and trucks the s10 will work better. these pic's were taken before we moved cab rearward to center wheels in front fenders:D

Attached Files:

• 021.JPG
      021.JPG
      File size:
      146.2 KB
      Views:
    • 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      154.1 KB
      Views:
    • 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      161.6 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      153.2 KB
      Views:
  27. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I have thought of the exact same swap, same car and chassis, Joel Torres.

28. strawberry

strawberry

now that cool:cool:

29. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Strawberry,
    sounds good, lets see some pics..............................

30. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Any one done a 46-49 GM 2 door?

I just sold the seat out of my '46 chevy to pick up a nearly bare s-10 chassis.

My '48 Olds coupe has a solid frame, but the old suspension and brakes are really "solid" too, so I'm probably just going to clip it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.